Looking for R2 dome base made of plastic or thin metal

tloc

I would like to create my own version of an R2-style droid dome turned into a lamp, as seen in Galaxy's Edge, Disneyland. I should be able to make my own parts from polystyrene and/or 3D-printed pieces, but I need the right-sized dome as a base. This is especially difficult for me because R2 droid domes aren't exactly half-spheres; they seem to extend straight from what would be the equator of a sphere.

Where can I get a good R2-style dome to start from? I'm hoping for plastic or thin, lightweight metal.

Thanks!

1706057634177.png

I would like to create my own version of an R2-style droid dome turned into a lamp, as seen in Galaxy's Edge, Disneyland. I should be able to make my own parts from polystyrene and/or 3D-printed pieces, but I need the right-sized dome as a base. This is especially difficult for me because R2 droid domes aren't exactly half-spheres; they seem to extend straight from what would be the equator of a sphere.

Where can I get a good R2-style dome to start from? I'm hoping for plastic or thin, lightweight metal.

Thanks!

View attachment 1781641
Check the R2 builders group. Years ago I got a plastic dome in the classifieds there for about $60.

Neat idea. Good luck!

Vacuum-formed styrene domes haven't been available on Astromech since before the pandemic. You might get lucky on one being sold in the Junkyard there, but the last time anyone even talked about making a new plastic dome was over a year ago, and as far as I've been able to tell nothing ever happened.

As far as I know, right now the options for an R2-style dome are the Granite Earth aluminium dome, sold via Astromech.net for around 750$ USD, the Lee Townsey dome sold via droidbuilders.uk for 560 GPB, or 3d printing a Mr. Baddeley dome.

tloc If you have access to a 3d printer, perhaps your most effective option is to google Mike Baddeley's patreon and then become a member - even at the 1$ a month level - to get access to the new, in-development Mark IV 3d printed dome.

Vacuum-formed styrene domes haven't been available on Astromech since before the pandemic. You might get lucky on one being sold in the Junkyard there, but the last time anyone even talked about making a new plastic dome was over a year ago, and as far as I've been able to tell nothing ever happened.

As far as I know, right now the options for an R2-style dome are the Granite Earth aluminium dome, sold via Astromech.net for around 750$ USD, the Lee Townsey dome sold via droidbuilders.uk for 560 GPB, or 3d printing a Mr. Baddeley dome.

tloc If you have access to a 3d printer, perhaps your most effective option is to google Mike Baddeley's patreon and then become a member - even at the 1$ a month level - to get access to the new, in-development Mark IV 3d printed dome.
Seems like once 3d printing became popular the styrene stuff has become rare

tloc, it may be worth heading over to astromech and messaging “lord hotwing” that guy is the in real life sandcrawler when it comes to Astro parts

He may just have a extra dome kicking around

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back