Props lost or destroyed

I thought the ANH X was in Disney?

This x-wing was not an original. It was made by disney for promotional purposes. I've seen this and taken a picture with it at a Star Wars weekend many years ago (I sadly lost the pic when my computer crashed). After seeing this one I can tell it's not an original and is a little to small.

^It's gotta be one of those 3/4 scale ships that were used to promote a VHS video release in Europe. One used to be at FAO Schwarz in Orlando, and some fans bought it. Another is maintained by other fans and makes appearances at conventions.

I'm sure I'm butchering this story - I think Brandon may know it better than I - but "back in the day" whenever it was - whoever had the full size X-Wing reached out to a bunch of aviation museums around the world to see if they'd like to have/display the full size "prop/set" from Star Wars. A period went by where there were no takers/no space/couldn't afford to transport it - so the decision was ultimately made to trash it. 24 hours after it was broken up and thrown in the skip, I think it was an aviation museum in the mid-west who called and said they finally cleared room for it, and could pay to have it transported to the States...

Others may know this story better then me, but heartbreaking nonetheless - how could would it have been to preserve the original?

One - Eyed Willy's pirate ship from The Goonies..

Didn’t they try to give it away at one time but no one would give it a good home?

I don’t think anyone has been able to locate the original Galileo shuttle for several years. Last I read here on the RPF it has been presumed destroyed.

-John

I don’t think anyone has been able to locate the original Galileo shuttle for several years. Last I read here on the RPF it has been presumed destroyed.

-John

There's pics out there of the full size original Galileo shuttle rotting away in a junkyard.Not sure about the miniature.

One - Eyed Willy's pirate ship from The Goonies..

You're talking about the full size set right? The scale model is in Richard Donners office

But I do know that the Treasure map was once owned by Sean Astin and his mother threw it out accidentally.

How about the thing that dreams are made of? I'm talking about the Maltese Falcon, of course. I read somewhere that no one knows what happened to the original prop, and the design sketches for it also were lost.

How about the thing that dreams are made of? I'm talking about the Maltese Falcon, of course. I read somewhere that no one knows what happened to the original prop, and the design sketches for it also were lost.

There have been a couple found. One was stolen I think.

For a long time, I'd heard about how Kubrick ordered all of the props from 2001 ASO to be destroyed. Everything. The reason floating around was that he didn't want anyone to use them in any junk sci-fi movies that might follow... tarnishing the elegant imagery of 2001.

I can't recall exactly where I read this, but the poster had quoted some more recently published source that Kubrick didn't initially intend to destroy the props. The studio wouldn't let him keep any of them, unless he paid them. In disgust with this, given all the work he'd done on the film, he decided to just lay waste to everything. Has anyone else here heard of this?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back