Prometheus (Post-release)

Also...That's a map.

So? If you go out into space and get the placement down, that circle would look like a straight line. Or are you really going to tell me you'll only believe what you see at face value because that was the kind of thinking that got everyone to believe the Earth was flat.

Just because we can't see from the ground doesn't mean it's not there.

How about now?

attachment.php

Any straight lines in here? I can go look for other examples of naturally occurring crystals.

Does not mean what is "not there"? The equator line on the map? There are no actual equator lines, or longitude and latitude lines for that matter, on the actual planet Earth. That is why people are not understanding your point. What do features on a map have to do with the actual planet?

We all know Holloway was an idiot. I guess that's the point you are making?

He's only as idiotic as the writer who wrote him.

And if you guys want to see some wicked natural straight lines, check out Ice crystals. They start out straight than turn into blobs of water. Best ones are snowflakes.

He's only as idiotic as the writer who wrote him.
Wrong. If it was a statement the writer believed, then that's one thing, but the character is continually shown saying/doing stupid things, so it's clearly a character trait. He's just an idiot. Going from that to saying that's what the writer believes is a stretch.

And crystals and snowflakes aside. Show some natural occurring landscape features that form straight lines as we saw in Prometheus, if you wanna make that point.

So? If you go out into space and get the placement down, that circle would look like a straight line. Or are you really going to tell me you'll only believe what you see at face value because that was the kind of thinking that got everyone to believe the Earth was flat.

The Earth is a sphere, so I honestly don't know where this straght line is coming from. :confused

I don't exactly know what the highlighted equator on the map is proving as far as "God doesn't build in straight lines"...The crystals on the other hand do make a better point...

And if you guys want to see some wicked natural straight lines, check out Ice crystals. They start out straight than turn into blobs of water. Best ones are snowflakes.
OK, but what was the point of the map you posted?

Holloway was commenting on the huge carved lines he saw on the ground as they flew into that valley. They were about as natural as this - as in, NOT.
Nazcalines.gif
Nazca_landing_strip.jpg

Holloway was commenting on the huge carved lines he saw on the ground as they flew into that valley. They were about as natural as this - as in, NOT.
Nazcalines.gif
Nazca_landing_strip.jpg
So, why not just say "God doesn't make straight roads"? He's being quite absolute when he says "God doesn't build in straight lines".

So, why not just say "God doesn't make straight roads"? He's being quite absolute when he says "God doesn't build in straight lines".
He could have just as easily said God does not make perfect circles, because there were also giant circles on the ground, yet there are perfect circles in nature.

If you want to be so literal, explain what you meant by the map?

Because Lindelof is too preoccupied with creating awesome quotable and deep sounding dialogue!

r-comp1.jpg

'God' basically does whatever it wants.

One of the clunkiest lines I thought was David's "doesn't every child want to kill their parents?" - eh... no. Not sure where the heck that came from.

And "Every King has their reign and then he dies" - does anyone actually speak like that????

And "Every King has their reign and then he dies" - does anyone actually speak like that????

No, but I still like it. :lol

And I thought the same thing about David saying that when I first heard it, however it's probably supposed to clue us in on the fact he's just nucking futs. :lol Not everyone thinks that, but perhaps he does, so he assumes people do as well.

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with" is still my favorite scene to quote from. My friend Danny and I use "You a a robot Vickers?" as a line when we see a pretty girl. It worked for the guy that flys the ship, why not us? :lol :p

That was the thing I went to. I think I was meant to be in hypersleep at one stage but spent the time being super beaky around the vehicles.
I also got told I looked 'ill' at one point and ordered to visit the ship infirmary. When I got there I explained that I may have inadvertantly stepped in some peculiar black goo. The Shaw look-alike looked at me oddly and sent me to some kind of space-yoga class - needless to say, I promptly 'escaped'.

I think that is a very loose quote from something in The Golden Bough. And it makes perfect sense for Vickers to say it. Great line.

One of the clunkiest lines I thought was David's "doesn't every child want to kill their parents?" - eh... no. Not sure where the heck that came from.
Sigmund Freud. From David's perspective, that Freudian line of BS actually works in his case.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back