Prometheus (Post-release)

Since they don't release the movie until August here and I was so scared about the reviews, I watched some of the final scenes of the movie from a russian camrip, thinking that I would see that the movie looked awesome and there was nothing to fear.

Now I devastated...

Well, if you take away the only good thing this movie has going for it, the visuals/soundscape, then you are pretty much OD'ing on the crap that is left. Basically bad to mediocre acting (was not impressed by 'David') and flawed script (I welcome the big questions the movie asks, don't get me wrong. It's the small things that are meaningless and left hanging I don't like)

To be fare to the landing, its way way better in the movie than seen from trailers. One great thing about the film is the ship and some of the up close shots, the big white logo is gone also....

Am I still the only one who spotted the Blade runner blimp lighting on the side of the ship in one scene? It was pretty big and a great great nod to blade runner.

Well if this is as bad as Gladiator, Id be glad, because I really think Gladiator is a great film. :)

Prometheus is actually getting pretty good reviews in Sweden.

Last edited:
I really liked it. Saw it for the second time today. It leaves you with plenty to think about, that's for sure. Definitely not perfect, a few silly bits, but a hell of a lot more interesting than MOST of the blockbuster 'sci-fi' drivel I've paid to sit through in the last few years. I hope it does well and Ridley makes a sequel.

It would be a stronger movie if it weren't for the connection to Alien and were it's own thing. The space jockey scene in Alien still elicits much more an intriguing and unsettling response in a brief few minutes than Prometheus does in 2 hours.
I look forward to watching Prometheus again, but it's a whole different, less masterful animal to Alien.

By the fact that Scott hasn't made a proper, fully-functioning film in decades. He lost his classic touch long, long ago, while Gladiator and Robin Hood are messy films with such shocking lapses in narrative taste and visual acuity that even his basic competence is called into question at times.

Whatever your feeling is about this movie, that's opinion and that's fine. But Scott is 75 years old and is still an active, vital, and revered creative force in the film industry. Most of us will be wearing diapers and drooling on ourselves when we are 75. He's running around the desert making movies.

I do have to disagree that he has been in decline for decades. I don't know if you just got carried away when posting, or if you truly think films like American Gangster, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, A Good Year, Black Rain, etc. somehow represent a declining director who can't make a fully functioning film. It's an ignorant comment. I don't mean that in a degrading way, I mean that in an academic way. The comment is ignorant of fact. Or, perhaps you should post examples of films you consider fully functional for comparison.

Prometheus may not be perfect, but I hardly think it is worthy of the venom in your post.

... constitutes the single biggest piece of cheese I've seen in the cinema in the last 30 years...)

yeouch... someone's grumpy. i have to disagree with your assessment of scott's skill as well, especially considering the sheer volume of crap being churned out by the studio's the past three decades...

He lost his classic touch long, long ago, while Gladiator and Robin Hood are messy films with such shocking lapses in narrative taste and visual acuity that even his basic competence is called into question at times.

So that's why Gladiator was nominated and won for Best Picture in the 2000 Academy Awards?

I'm actually kind of glad to see some of the negavtive reviews though. It sufficiently lowers my expectations that were raised impossibly high due to all the hype during the marketing campaigns.

Now I might actually relax and just enjoy it for what it is.

Alien, Legend, Blade Runner ,Gladiator, Black hawk Down,Kingdom Of Heaven, have been some of my favorite films of all time. Can't wait to see Prometheus!

So that's why Gladiator was nominated and won for Best Picture in the 2000 Academy Awards?

Best picture of 2000 does not say much. Nor does approval by the Academy Awards in my view, not in the AA of the last 20 years anyway.

Gladiator was in every sense Scott descending from the level of a genuine master to barely functional 'meh', with some hideous lapses in visual taste thrown in. The guy whose post I was answering had been wondering why so much of Prometheus appeared to be so disappointing. I aired a possible answer.

As for the 'venom', it's not personal, you know? Scott's never going to read this, and I'd never tell him in person how awful Crowe's helmet was, how weak Gladiator as a whole was - I'm not that vindictive, I'm too nice for that; instead I'd tell him he's God for Alien and BR, if I ever met him. But when he puts a new movie out asking for my money and attention, with Gladiator namechecked on the poster as being a reason to go see this new movie, then I'm afraid I will dump my vexation on an internet discussion board and splurge once again my extreme dissatisfaction with said Gladiator and how the sight of that doughball fantasy helmet in a Roman period movie was the crassest, most unbelievable directorial decision I think I've ever seen from a name director - and from the one-time supreme visual master that was Scott! YES, I will always be annoyed with him for that, and no I will never trust him implicitly ever again. Least of all with a treasure like the '79 space jockey.

i guess that's the trouble with hitting it out of the park early in his career; every time he steps up to bat we expect the same thing. the biggest problem scott faces, imho, is the fact that he hit the ball so hard in the late 70's that the ball went into orbit and is still going.

i guess i'm beginning to realize that BR was lightening in a bottle and it is unfair for me to expect Scott to create 'game changers' with every piece of work he makes. one can always dream though.

i do hope that for the BR sequel, the VFX crew is at the top of their game having just finished a spielberg epic and another 9 month long strike occurs giving the production team nothing to do but refine, refine and refine...

Just read this. Hummmmm, sounds like he's covering all the basis (and his backside) with this. Now one of them will be THE direct prequel to Alien and the other as previously reffered to as "Paradise" the brand new storyline.

"While excited about his collaboration with director Ridley Scott who makes his triumphant return to both sci-fi and the world of Alien, Damon Lindelof doesn’t want to count his xenomorphs before they’re hatched. The writer, who worked closely with Scott on the script, wanted to make sure that the story presented in Prometheus answers enough of the questions brought up in the new film while also leaving the possibility for a sequel.

“Ridley was very interested in talking about, ‘What are the answers to the questions that Prometheus is posing that are not necessarily definitively spelled out in the body of Prometheus?’” the Lost co-creator told The Hollywood Reporter. “I said to him, we should be prepared for people to feel frustrated if we’re going to be withholding, so we have to be very careful about what we’re saving for later,” he continues. “Because it’s not a foregone conclusion that there are going to be sequels, and so if there isn’t a sequel, just be comfortable with what we gave them in this movie.”

Lindelof pointed out that the film will serve as the father of two sequels; one of them is obviously the already-existing Alien, but the other, at one point referred to as Paradise, would flow more directly from this film. “The audience is given a little more information than the characters in the movie have,” he said. “And it’s our hope that fires the imagination up enough for them to say, ‘I might want to see Prometheus again’ or ‘I definitely want to see where this movie takes me.’ Because this movie has two children: One of these children grows up to be Alien, but the other child is going to grow up, and God knows what happens to them. And that’s what the sequel to Prometheus would be.”

Prometheus, which stars Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and Guy Pearce, opens Friday.

Personally I don't think he has a clue what he is on about and hope he goes back to TV double quick.

Well had to download it but, I saw it. Ill probably go see it in theaters in 3D on friday. I thought it was a good movie. You cannot go in expecting one of scotts masterpieces. As it is the movie stood alone fine. I admit there are major plot holes as pointed out in here but, its a MOVIE its not supposed to be real. I liked how gigers early concept work for alien and a few other films was worked in.

Again its not Alien, Bladerunner, or any other major scott blockbuster but, its a descent movie and well worth seeing.

... That's a dick move...

not that i've seen the bootleg, i will say for the record that i am somewhat phallic shaped and like prometheus' lesser known sister, Pandora, due to a weak will have been known to make inconsiderate jerk-like movements akin to the thoughtless spasms of the male genitalia that you describe. please find it in your heart to forgive.

that being said, i think it's a testament to the film that despite its widespread availability online, people that have seen the crappy ultra blurred out shaky cam version will still go to the theater to see it on opening day/night.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back