Production Used Jaws Clapperboard?

Wow! Sounds like they are blatantly making up a story to address “why the A board distressing matches the B board so closely”. That sound like such a BS answer.

And then they still insist that they were corroborated with recent communication from Mr. Butler. I guess we should ignore that Indignate stated:
“I talked with Bill Butler about this clapper and machete, of course he never had any of these, and never signed a letter saying so. He wants to talk to heritage.”

indignate, I think you need to share the new description with Bill Butler and see if any of that makes sense. If it is all true, he should be able to confirm.

Sure I did! I am talking to Bill Butler´s wife!!

1634915533189.jpeg

I had a long response to the edited description, and I keep revising it. I'm trying to find a generous way to phrase things, and I keep coming up short. Something is fishy...

Simply put, I don't buy the revised description one bit.

The "B" clapperboard was owned by Rexford Metz until it was acquired by Indignate, right? And he sold it through The Prop Store in 2016? Which, as far as I can tell, was the first time photos of the back of the clapperboard appeared publicly. So in order for the current story of the "A" slate to hold water, whoever modified the the "A" slate in 2005 must have had access to photos of the back of the "B" slate, or even the original slate. Period. Otherwise, it would have been impossible for the artist to recreate it in such accurate detail.

I'm going to ignore the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to alter the primary filming slate to resemble a secondary one.

These facts were recently corroborated with direct communication with Mr. Butler and family, and it was further established that this clapperboard was also on display at a temporary Smithsonian exhibit in addition to the aforementioned Jaws festivals.
Okay, if this is true, then somebody, somewhere, is pulling a fast one. There are a couple of possibilities. I feel like I need to break out the yarn and thumbtacks to track all the connections... I'm just going to ignore the physical evidence at this point.

A) Indignate is faking text conversations and making up all of his history with the "B" slate. I think this is highly unlikely, and I imagine fairly easy to disprove. (I'm just laying out possibilities, in no way am I questioning Indignate's character at all. After the Ron Shanko cameo in the Phaser thread, I'd like to be ready to acknowledge any possibility!) At the end of the day, what he's saying is just confirming suspicions rather then creating them.

B) The consigner and/or collector has managed to fool Heritage/Profiles by making up a fake "Confirmation of Sale", and followed up with somehow managing to have Bill Butler and/or his family confirm the story. I'll get back to this.

C) Heritage is doubling down on this, and everything in the modified description is made up in order to sell this thing. I honestly don't want to think of this as a possibility, because that would open up a whole can of worms. I try to think the best of people, and give everyone the benefit of telling the truth as they see it. This one is fraught with assumptions and trouble. Frankly, I'd like to believe THEY believe in the slate and the story, and can't accept differing opinions, rather then willful deception, but I'm having trouble thinking that is the case.

Those are the three most likely cases, in my mind, and 2 out of three have a profit motive.

Back to B) for a moment. Now break out the yarn, kids.

In order for the revised description to be true, it sounds like someone at HA spoke to Bill Butler and/or his family. Now, Indignate's text thread directly refutes this. So in order for the description to be true either Indignate or HA is talking to someone who isn't Bill Butler or his family.

OK, so let's assume Indignate IS talking to Butler's wife. I think it's safe to assume he is. So that would have to mean HA is talking to someone... that isn't Bill Butler. That's crazy talk! Imagine the amount of effort that would take. First, get a well done fake slate made, put together a fake letter of provenance from the collector (who may or may not be a consignor). Then, when questioned by HA, be able to provide a phone number for a person claiming to be Billy Butler to back up the whole thing with a convoluted story. That's just... nuts. I don't deny the amount of effort that someone would go through to perpetuate a fraud, but that just seems like way too much work, and way too much risk. Is it worth a $100k payout?

Feel free to poke holes in any part of this, and find any points I may be missing.

Okay, if this is true, then somebody, somewhere, is pulling a fast one. There are a couple of possibilities. I feel like I need to break out the yarn and thumbtacks to track all the connections... I'm just going to ignore the physical evidence at this point.

A) Indignate is faking text conversations and making up all of his history with the "B" slate. I think this is highly unlikely, and I imagine fairly easy to disprove. (I'm just laying out possibilities, in no way am I questioning Indignate's character at all. After the Ron Shanko cameo in the Phaser thread, I'd like to be ready to acknowledge any possibility!) At the end of the day, what he's saying is just confirming suspicions rather then creating them.

B) The consigner and/or collector has managed to fool Heritage/Profiles by making up a fake "Confirmation of Sale", and followed up with somehow managing to have Bill Butler and/or his family confirm the story. I'll get back to this.

C) Heritage is doubling down on this, and everything in the modified description is made up in order to sell this thing. I honestly don't want to think of this as a possibility, because that would open up a whole can of worms. I try to think the best of people, and give everyone the benefit of telling the truth as they see it. This one is fraught with assumptions and trouble. Frankly, I'd like to believe THEY believe in the slate and the story, and can't accept differing opinions, rather then willful deception, but I'm having trouble thinking that is the case.

Those are the three most likely cases, in my mind, and 2 out of three have a profit motive.

Back to B) for a moment. Now break out the yarn, kids.

In order for the revised description to be true, it sounds like someone at HA spoke to Bill Butler and/or his family. Now, Indignate's text thread directly refutes this. So in order for the description to be true either Indignate or HA is talking to someone who isn't Bill Butler or his family.

OK, so let's assume Indignate IS talking to Butler's wife. I think it's safe to assume he is. So that would have to mean HA is talking to someone... that isn't Bill Butler. That's crazy talk! Imagine the amount of effort that would take. First, get a well done fake slate made, put together a fake letter of provenance from the collector (who may or may not be a consignor). Then, when questioned by HA, be able to provide a phone number for a person claiming to be Billy Butler to back up the whole thing with a convoluted story. That's just... nuts. I don't deny the amount of effort that someone would go through to perpetuate a fraud, but that just seems like way too much work, and way too much risk. Is it worth a $100k payout?

Feel free to poke holes in any part of this, and find any points I may be missing.

I don't think it's just a 100k payout. The Godfather slate was just pulled as well. I'm willing to bet it was consigned by the same person. Maybe they have other things in the auction as well?

Read the first line, James:

The Godfather Production Used Clapperboard (Paramount, 1972). THIS LOT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN.

Seems, they chose to leave it posted but withdrawn.

I'm going to ignore the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to alter the primary filming slate to resemble a secondary one.

I'll say that absolutely no one would care that the slate had different numbers on it. All that matters is that it was a Jaws Clapperboard. It's not like they were going to modify Spielberg to match his younger self.

Imagine the amount of effort that would take. First, get a well done fake slate made, put together a fake letter of provenance from the collector (who may or may not be a consignor). Then, when questioned by HA, be able to provide a phone number for a person claiming to be Billy Butler to back up the whole thing with a convoluted story. That's just... nuts.

That doesn't sound that convoluted. It's what, 3 steps? If one person is both the slate forger and the writer of the provenance and the consignor, you just need an co-conspirator who can convincingly sound old, unless they are good at changing their voice then one person could do it all with two phone numbers.

I'll say that absolutely no one would care that the slate had different numbers on it. All that matters is that it was a Jaws Clapperboard. It's not like they were going to modify Spielberg to match his younger self.
I agree completely. To most fans, they wouldn't care. So why would they send it off to have it made up to match the "B" slate? Just change the scene numbers, and be done with it. There is no need to add fake wear, chalk marks, tape residue, etc...

That doesn't sound that convoluted. It's what, 3 steps?

The steps are straightforward, it's the story that convoluted. To me anyway...

I agree completely. To most fans, they wouldn't care. So why would they send it off to have it made up to match the "B" slate? Just change the scene numbers, and be done with it. There is no need to add fake wear, chalk marks, tape residue, etc...

The steps are straightforward, it's the story that convoluted. To me anyway...
The story doesn’t make sense because the A clapperboard doesn’t have its own native wear marks in addition to the allegedly added B marks. Also, an A clapperboard is more valuable, so why would you change it? It clearly seems like a lie.

Last edited:
The story doesn’t make sense because the A clapperboard doesn’t have its own native wear marks in addition to the allegedly added B marks.
That is an excellent point! Sometimes, I miss the forest for the trees. Yeah, the lack of any native wear marks is telling. So it would have to be either in mint condition before it was modified, or completely refinished. In addition, it would have to have been stored rather carefully since 2005 to prevent any new marks.

Things like this bug me. This suit was not used in Batman Forever. More than likely it is the Looney Tunes suit or a production made suit.
The gloves, belt and the color of the suit are completely wrong. The suit was gunmetal gray that was used in the film. The cape would have also been a gunmetal gray but a slightly different shade. Only the cowl looks to be in fact a Forever piece if it is the proper color.

Things like this bug me. This suit was not used in Batman Forever. More than likely it is the Looney Tunes suit or a production made suit.
The gloves, belt and the color of the suit are completely wrong. The suit was gunmetal gray that was used in the film. The cape would have also been a gunmetal gray but a slightly different shade. Only the cowl looks to be in fact a Forever piece if it is the proper color.

From the description:
The Batsuit consists of a cast foam-rubber cowl; a voluminous black latex-coated fabric cape; moulded foam-rubber armour adhered to a thin neoprene suit; and a pair of leather boots with rubber detailing. Completing the costume is a pair of gauntlets, each featuring three resin fins, and a black polyurethane utility belt, which was worn as part of the "Panther suit", the movie's main Batsuit.
I can't really comment much on the color, as lighting and photography makes a huge difference. It doesn't appear to have the same sheen that it did on screen, but I don't know enough about how the foam rubber was painted to know if it wears off easy, or what.

They do call out the belt as being from a different suit, but seem to have missed doing so on the gauntlets. As a curious side note, I've heard that the Loony Tunes suit used the "Panther" belt, and a black version of the Sonar Suit was used by Christopher Nolan to audition actors for Batman Begins. So it looks like you could be right!

Have you emailed the Prop Store?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back