I use a dlsr camera with a blue screen backdrop, 3 light setup for day lighting and I spin my props on a turntable. For software I use both agisoft metashape and realitycapture. I use zbrush/maya for scan cleanup and retopology. Image processing to remove blue screen and alpha creation can be done with lightroom or aftereffects.
RC is very fast at processing data, agisoft is much slower but gives you high level of control over your point cloud data. It's personal preference on which one to use and pricing.
Here is another scan of a WW1/WW2 era cavalry boot did, the boot is around size 7.5/8. After all the boot research I have done I have come to this conclusion...
The boots were 100% made from scratch for the movie based off the idea from ww1/ww2 era boots. It makes the most sense since you need multiples for the actor and the stunt doubles and you have to keep continuity between them all.
The pattern of the boot does not match any other boot pattern from any era in time. So my advice is pony up and have them hand made from scratch. If you can't afford that Frye womens tall campus boots have the closest matching toe shape to obi-wan or a repro pair of Australian AIF ankle boots (add a custom cavalry top) or a British b5 repro boot possibly.
Here is a Vulcan shoe last that has pretty close shape to obi-wan's toe shape. I need to scan it again then I think I will post as a dl on myminifactory for anyone who wants to print a shoe last.
I've been working on recreating boots in Clo3D and have started making a boot last based off obi-wan boot. It's very hard trying to find a correct last or boot in the wild with the same toe shape but I think I'm close. Obi-wan, Anakin. Qui-gon, and Padme's battle arena boots are all based off the same toe shape. I want to create a Jedi boot last that people can DL and 3D print since it seems no one who has made recreations has ever got the toe shape correct.
If anyone out there knows a lot about designing shoe last I'll give you the file and you can work on it if you want.
I found this old 1930's kids boot, scanned it, scanned a Vulcan shoe last and modified it around this boot that seems to have to round toe, and sliced angle that all the Jedi boots have.
The toe is wide and round with a long diag slice, its not flat and square. All repro's seem to miss this
notice how far back the toe slice is
v.01 Jedi boot last
I've also finished roughing out the Large belt pouch based off the EP1 design. I just need to refine the curves and polish it up.
This is my obi-wan Boot mockup I sculpted based off the shoe last I'm making. It's pretty close but the toe and sole still need to be refined. I'll take this boot draw patterns and bring it into Clo3D to test how well it drapes over the shoe last.
this is the belt kit I'm working on for Ep1 obi/qui-gon. I need to refine the ribbed inserts and set the scale.
I took my shoe lasts into clo3d and started experimenting with making the boot patterns. Getting the shoe section to conform tightly to the toe box of the last is kind of a problem. Right now it's a little thicker than it should be. But it's good enough to see how they would work out in the real world.
Hey guys, I updated my shoe lasts on myminifactory and added a last based off qui-gon's toe box. I also added a last based off Padme's battle arena boots which could also be used for a more female Jedi boots.
Again these are just reference lasts the best way to use them is to take the design of the front half of the last and transfer it over to a custom last made for your feet by a real cobbler. Depending on how large of heel you want you'll need the arch adjusted.
Hey guys, almost finished my Ep1 tall pouch. I just need to clean up some lines, and finishing the ribs, taking the cg stink off of it, breaking symmetry etc
I'm thinking about printing one out over the weekend, I'm not sure what the actual real world size is but my bro science is telling me between 5-6 inches. I may split the difference and print at 5.5 inches.
I finally got the shoulder tuck figured out after getting a galaxys edge tunic and taking it apart. The shoulder cap is cut off, flipped upside down, reversed and sewn in that way with a piece on the inside it is sewn to. From here all you do is alter the pattern to move the shoulder line up or down the arm and collar up and down the neck for that wide ep1 look, for the narrow ep3 look.
Here is the almost final tunic, from here out it's just fit adjustments to the pattern. Here is the pattern, and mockup in zbrush so you can see how it would look with a belt. The obi isn't finished but the important thing is how the shoulder tuck and sleeve is done. From here you can modify the pattern to match each movies version of the neck line and shoulder line/tabbards.
Now that I have this done, I'm moving on to making statues and won't be updating this thread anymore. Hope this helps people working on their own Jedi tunics in the future if you happen to find this thread.