Prequel Obi-Wan Digital patterns and boot recreation in Clo3D

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

janglesworthy

Hey Guys, this is my first post here. I'm starting a project that is a little different than what everyone else is doing here. I'm making episode 1-3 obi-wan/qui-gon in marvelous designer.

I don't know really anything about sewing/pattern making and I've based my work off some patterns I have found floating around the net.
I'm using autodesk's maya default male basemesh which scales in at 5'10". It has pretty average body mass and is easily available to all.

My hope is to learn some pattern/sewing from you all and also make this an open source project for any and all who wish to add to it. If I can find somewhere to host the files I'll upload the MD patterns and avatar. MD isn't very real world accurate but CLO is, I think you can import MD to CLO and adjust from there.

This picture represents my block out of all the shirt/pants patterns and place holder boots so help get an idea of how the pants will gather/tuck.

jedtpatttern.jpg

This is another pattern test with out tabs/belt too check general top tunic proportions
jp2.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

janglesworthy

no sorry if I made it confusing, I'm making 4 different patterns. Starting with ep1 obi, then modifying from there for ep 2/3/qui-gon. Seems to be the most efficient way to get all of them done.

I've switched over to clo3d from md since the avatar builder lets you make bodies off very specific body measurements(I made my bodies proportions to ewans) and in the end you can create real world prints. So people could actually use the patterns if they want.

vader45

Sr Member
no sorry if I made it confusing, I'm making 4 different patterns. Starting with ep1 obi, then modifying from there for ep 2/3/qui-gon. Seems to be the most efficient way to get all of them done.

I've switched over to clo3d from md since the avatar builder lets you make bodies off very specific body measurements(I made my bodies proportions to ewans) and in the end you can create real world prints. So people could actually use the patterns if they want.

Ah I see can't wait to see them manifest into actual costumes.

janglesworthy

Been kinda stuck on getting the shoulder tuck to work on the top tunic
So far this is that I came up with on the left vs just leaving it w/o tuck on the
right. I tried sewing the sleeve onto an internal line I offset from the shoulder and adding a flap then merging it back into the pattern.

toptunic.jpg

Started on some props for the belt, I scanned a corvertec belt clip and a museum replica small pouch, hand modeling the saber
belt_parts.jpg

Attachments

• toptunic.jpg
    toptunic.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

janglesworthy

Decided to do a test with a pattern I found online. My body is 5'10 40 inch chest 34 inch waist, 15 inch bicep. I matched the pattern measurements exactly as listed and this is what came out of it. Maybe its some good reference for anyone who ever wanted to try this pattern.

obi_pattern.jpg
obi_cloth.jpg

janglesworthy

started to block out the basic boot for ep1/2. I would kill for flat orthographic for the bottom of his boot. Some research showed that rubies adult obi-wan boots seemed to have the most movie accurate toe shape, but I can't find them anywhere for sale.
ep2_boot.jpg

ep2_boots2.jpg

janglesworthy

Took the over tunic into zbrush to add my obi-head sculpt and belt pieces to get a good idea of how the over all design is working before I start on the tabbards and belt. This is a rough and dirty mockup for ep2.

pretabs1.jpg

added temp tabbards and updated pattern
temp_tabs2.jpg

pattern before taking it into zbrush and adding belt pieces and head sculpt
tab_pat.jpg

Last edited:

janglesworthy

thanks washburn and Anakin! Here is what I've come up with for episode 1 over tunic, it seems like it crosses over much lower than ep2/ep3 tunic and has a wider neck opening.

ep1_under.jpg

ep1_turn.jpg

janglesworthy

mockup of ep 1 obi. Finally figured out that the widest part of the torso is the over tunic not the tabs, I kept trying to make them too wide and overlap the tunic.
ep1_ob.jpg

and here is the pattern, started to ignore the reference I found online and free styled the pattern
ep1pattern.jpg

Last edited:

janglesworthy

Been doing some research on the boots. From what I have found there is some speculation that they used pre ww2 era military boots. So I found a pair of WWI US Calvary officer riding boots 17 inches tall and did a quick and dirty scan of the foot. I think the toe is too narrow when comparing it to photo reference. It's hard to tell, but it was worth the risk. Here is some pics of the rough scan.
cav_boot.jpg

textured scan of the boot base
boot_text.jpg

Last edited:

Psab keel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I forget where I read it but Ewan's boots in TPM were Leather Tanker boots with spats added to the front and held in place with horizontal straps. One at the ankle and three across the calf.

janglesworthy

Interesting, one thing I have learned about wwi/wwii boots is a lot of different people made them and there is a lot of variation in them. It's a little maddening at times.

janglesworthy

Thanks Halliwax I appreciate it. If anyone wants me to post some of the boot reference I have collected for WWI Calvary boots let me know and I'll dump them into here.

janglesworthy

Did a test run on a full boot scan. Found the problem areas and going to go for a second pass at the upper half of the boot to get a cleaner result. I'm also ordering my first 3D printer tomorrow so I can do full resin statues starting with obi and qui-gon. So should be fun going through that process.

fb_scan.jpg

textured scan. Had to dirty some areas up to get a cleaner surface scan.
fb_scan2.jpg

janglesworthy

Obi-wan needs a playmate so I started doing a test modifying obi's tunic into qui-gons here's a first pass blockin test of 2 variations.
qt1.jpg

qt2.jpg

putting the band back together
theband.jpg