Post a Photo of You from the Year when you saw your very first Star Wars film!

My parents got a baby sitter so they could see it first as they wanted to screen it first and make sure it was appropriate. Haha- we still laugh about it.

I've been hooked ever since. What a great film that created wonderful childhood memories.

I don't know when I saw my 1st ever Star Wars movie. I literally can't remember a time when Star Wars was not an integral part of my world.

I too was 11 when SW Came out. I don't have a picture as the stone tablet Lithograph broke long ago. My Dad and I saw it 5x at the Westgate Theater, now long gone. Also that year the Trailblazers won their only NBA Championship, and I was there at the final game. Between all the Blazer stuff for sale, and the SW toys, that summer was just a haze of happiness.

Amazing in the age before the internet everyone knew of the movie and wanted to see it.

To TK765: It really is amazing! I suppose it's because in the absence of cable TV, internet streaming of shows and films, video games, etc., going to the movies on the weekend was such a staple of American leisure, and so news about which films were coming and which ones were good, traveled very fast by word of mouth back in the day.

To All: I love hearing your stories about your first Star Wars experience! The theater, what kind of candy you had, etc.! All great stuff! But let's also see those pics of you back in the year you saw Star Wars! How close in age can you find a pic of when you first saw a Star Wars movie?!

Which reminds me, please forgive the bummed out look on my face in the photo of me I posted to start this thread. I had just gotten back from the barber, where I requested the "Pete Rose", but he gave me the "Tatum O'Neal" instead.

MeJune1977.jpgamanda whurlitzer.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have the pictures, but I do have the memories. Dad took us and I had no idea what it was we were going to see. Never heard of it. I was 8 at the time. The first time we went, the lines were around the building and it was sold out. We went later and I loved it from the first seconds.

I remember it was rereleased and they were going to show the trailer for Empire and we begged Mom to take us- we had to see the previews for that! And I remember the short shot of the asteroid chase and we were in love all over again.

Brian

I don't have the pictures, but I do have the memories. Dad took us and I had no idea what it was we were going to see. Never heard of it. I was 8 at the time. The first time we went, the lines were around the building and it was sold out. We went later and I loved it from the first seconds.

I remember it was rereleased and they were going to show the trailer for Empire and we begged Mom to take us- we had to see the previews for that! And I remember the short shot of the asteroid chase and we were in love all over again.

Brian

Whether I saw it Sunday, June 5th, or Sunday, June 12th, I don't remember there being a long line to get in. However, my friend's father dropped us off at the Eric Twin Chestnut Hill for a late morning matinee that Sunday. It was likely the first showing of the day, and we were probably among the first ones there. I can say this for sure, though, as it is indelible in my mind: the movie was completely sold out, and the audience went crazy at the end when (spoiler alert) Luke blew up the Death Star, and again when the end credits rolled! The positive energy in that room was unlike anything I've ever experienced in a movie theater, before or since.

The Wook

I don't remember how old I was exactly when I first saw it. I do remember it was a VHS copy of the film that had been taped off of the PRISM cable movie network, and that after the movie was done, my dad and I played lightsabres with the large plastic tinkertoys I had.

They looked like this:

606712042_tp.jpg

Basically, I took two of the cylindrical ones and stuck a red and blue long piece in the ends, and we whacked them back and forth for about 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure I was around 4 years old, and I instantly fell in love with the movie, to the point that I'd basically watch that same VHS tape every Sunday morning (we weren't a churchgoing family, and the only other stuff on was the "fake preacher" shows, as I called them) from then until I was about 12.

The first Star Wars film I saw in a theater was Return of the Jedi, and I'd already seen the first film, so yeah, probably saw Star Wars when I was 4, because I was 5 when I saw Jedi.

I don't have any photos handy of me in 1977, but I did find an image of the theater I went to. While we saw most of the movies at the larger Mall theater, I did see a select few at a small rundown vintage theater locally: The Newport Theater.

Newport_theater.jpg

Looking back, I saw Star Wars there, Star Trek (The first movie), Gremlins, Superman the Movie, Goonies, A Christmas Story and the last film I saw there - A Nightmare on Elm Street part 3. I am sure there were more, but those are the ones that stand out in my mind. They tore it down after I moved away to college.

This video isn't mine, but it's the same line up I stood in for at least 10 times with my pals. Lot's of fond memories at the Paramount.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311533&d=1396744937&thumb=1 http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311534&d=1396744990&thumb=1 I was 19 in 1977 and I saw the movie 30 times in a span of a week! Here's my mug with 3PO during that "Mini Expo" at l' Innovation store in down-town Brussels!

Joberg, great pics. But THIRTY times in the first week! That's gotta be a record. If one were to watch the film 4 times a day for 7 straight days, they'd still fall 2 viewings short of your record. lol I myself watched it 20 times in the first fortnight, and after 10 or so viewings my parents thought I was over doing it a bit. Of course, that's probably because they were paying for all those tickets, boxes of popcorn, Milkduds, Dots, Good 'N Fruitys, and Hawaiian Punch drinks! lmao

Anyone remember what you ate/drank during your first viewings of Star Wars? And can anyone top Joberg's 30 viewings in one week?! lol

The Wook

Joberg, great pics. But THIRTY times in the first week! That's gotta be a record. If one were to watch the film 4 times a day for 7 straight days, they'd still fall 2 viewings short of your record. lol I myself watched it 20 times in the first fortnight, and after 10 or so viewings my parents thought I was over doing it a bit. Of course, that's probably because they were paying for all those tickets, boxes of popcorn, Milkduds, Dots, Good 'N Fruitys, and Hawaiian Punch drinks! lmao

Anyone remember what you ate/drank during your first viewings of Star Wars? And can anyone top Joberg's 30 viewings in one week?! lol

The Wook

Oh yeah. Twizzlers licorice (the red kind), box popcorn and a pop.

Yep, in Brussels (at the time, don't know if you can pull that again today:behave)you could stay for as many viewing in one day as you wanted...and including Saturday & Sunday noon showing up until 10pm at night! ;)

My first exposure was the Ewok Adventure. I didn't see the real movies until I was in elementary school in the 80s and someone had the VHS' and they watched all 3 the last 2 days of school. 88 or 89 I think. I however hardly watched them (I blame the Ewok movie). I was a late bloomer apparently as the force didn't grip me until the 90's when the whole THX remastered last time original campaign hit (1995 I think). I asked my parents for them for xmas and wore out the tapes.

Since I wasn't born yet on the release of the first movie, this is probably the closest pic that could've been:

nilsson_rm_photo_of_20_week_fetus.jpg

Hahaha!

Just got this from my parents at X-mas. Video is of my participation as Chewbacca at our city's "Troy Daze Parade" in 1978. It was a 90 degree day and I am wearing a costume my mom made from scratch for me the year before for Halloween. I guess you can say its my first Cosplay event at the age of 13. I was asked to participate after someone had seen my costume and they were doing a sort of Star Wars float along with the coneheads :) You can see me at the end with my costume off wearing the typical Star Wars t-shirt of the day

Chewbacca_zpsnini1xkh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back