Plan 9 from Outer Space...

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well my first mistake was thinking Plan 9 from Outer Space was a classic 50s scifi movie. I've never seen it before so I figured I'd watch it last night. I got maybe an hour in and shut it off. This has to be the worst movie ever made! The airliner set didn't even have anything that even looked like a flight yoke, just half circles of wood the "actors" yanked back and forth as if they'd never seen a pilot before! If you haven't seen this before, you're good, don't bother.

Well my first mistake was thinking Plan 9 from Outer Space was a classic 50s scifi movie. I've never seen it before so I figured I'd watch it last night. I got maybe an hour in and shut it off. This has to be the worst movie ever made! The airliner set didn't even have anything that even looked like a flight yoke, just half circles of wood the "actors" yanked back and forth as if they'd never seen a pilot before! If you haven't seen this before, you're good, don't bother.
Thats what it is famous for……

I think you missed the whole point of the movie.

Well it is widely regarded as the worst movie ever made but has attained cult status and many enjoy it for it's flaws. I recommend watching Ed Wood (1994) with Johnny Depp about Ed Wood the director of Plan 9 from Outer Space instead. If you haven't seen it it's really worth watching regardless of whether or not you enjoy Wood's films. It's very entertaining although not entirely accurate.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY suggest anyone who's watched PLAN 9, go & watch ED WOOD.

For those that don't know, it's a slightly fictionalized account of the director's struggle to get the film made while going through his own personal struggles. That sounds like it's a downer, but it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, & it boasts an all star cast including Johnny Depp, Bill Murray, & Martin Landau, who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi. It also won Rick Baker's team the Oscar for makeup.

It's directed by Tim Burton & is basically a love letter to the creators of film, especially Ed. Cannot recommend it enough.

With Steve McQueen? That movie is a legit classic!
I actually watched it for the first time a few months ago. Definitely a 50's sci fi horror.

I had no idea Steve McQueen was in it. It's funny watching him play a teenager as he's one of those guys that always looked like he was in his 30's.

Just tried to watch it on Tubi. Couldn't watch more than 10 minutes. It was just like trying to watch that Rob Zombie, Munsters dumpster fire, lol.

A turd for sure (kinda has become its allure over time) but it's still not Lugosi's worst film believe it or not. I'm a huge Bela fan and have sat through stinkers that make Plan 9 look good!

I actually watched it for the first time a few months ago. Definitely a 50's sci fi horror.

I had no idea Steve McQueen was in it. It's funny watching him play a teenager as he's one of those guys that always looked like he was in his 30's.
He's playing someone in his 20s. The character was originally written to be a teenager, but McQueen convinced them that there was no way anyone would buy him being a teenager.

David.

The funny thing is I got this DVD last year, from an Amazon seller. The package was delayed for almost 3 months. He sent replacement immediately, and about 3 weeks later the original package arrived too. So now I have two Plan 9 from Outer Space DVD's. And being two don't make it a better movie, but it is a classic in its own very cheesy way...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back