Plan 9 Electrode Gun

genZOD

Sr Member
My wife bought me this cool Plan 9 From Outer Space ray gun from Mani-Yack Monsters. The gun was sculpted & cast in white resin.

To me, art/prop building is storytelling... I imagined that the hapless aliens left this gun behind after their evil plot was thwarted in 1959. It was lost in some dank basement or creepy attic, only to be rediscovered by some unsuspecting dupe. The copper has tarnished over time. But make no mistake, it can still deal death or help resurrect & control the recently deceased. Plan 10?

Most people seem to agree that the original prop was silver & black. But so was the movie & I thought warmer tones would look better in person. Anyway, Maniyack Monsters’s sculpture is much nicer that the real prop, so why not go the extra mile & make something that looks better in person. After sanding & filling the slightly offset mould lines, the big smooth shapes seemed like a good chance to experiment with a few different paint and metal leaf techniques.

The tarnished copper effect was achieved by layering translucent paints and (probably carcinogenic) fine metallic powders over a silver & silver leaf base. And clear lacquer... lots of clear lacquer.

This is the only one of my props that has made it out of my office. It's displayed on a bookshelf in our living room. Most people assume that it's actually an antique. Anyway, I hope that ya'll like it. Thanks for looking.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpeg
09.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back