Pee Wee's Playhouse Scooter and Helmet

Wow, the extras really could provide some clues! I'm glad they have footage of the construction of the playhouse. Let's hope for the best!

As for the restoration process of the show, you can read about it and watch some footage here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/paul-reubens-on-pee-wees-playhouse-20141020?page=3

It's a huge improvement in quality. I'm stoked!
Has anyone bought it yet?

I believe that I have identified the bulldogs that were used on the helmet. They appear to be from German-made bulldog squeak toy guns. Pics below.

bulldog1.jpg bulldog2.jpg

My Google-fu must be pretty strong right now. I have also found the pig. As discussed, the pig was made in Japan. The bow-tie is also an add-on and not original to the piece. Like everything else on the helmet, it was repainted. The pig that I found belongs to a vinyl figure collector in Mexico. Unfortunately, he does not want to sell the piece. At least we know a little more about it.

pig.jpg

Comparing the bulldog gun to the helmet pieces-
attachment.php

Also it looks like there are two slightly different bulldog gun-
$_57 (1).JPG$_57 (9).JPG$_57 (4).JPG$_57 (8).JPG$_57 (3).JPG$_57 (5).JPG

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 612
I did happen across the pic of the darker faced bulldog. It seems like he is older than the other version. With all the repainting, I think either would work just as well.

I have an idea as to what the ducks may be. I don't think they are wall ducks. I think they may actually be from a flapping wing yard stake. These were popular around that time. My grandma had a couple if I remember correctly. It makes more sense, too. They could have taken the duck and simply cut it in half. Most wall ducks only face one direction - it would have taken some effort to mirror the duck. This explains why the wings (especially on the one side) look almost as if they are attached after the fact. Pics of some yard stake ducks are below.

duck yard stake.jpg

This Russian vinyl pig may make a good substitute. It wouldn't be too difficult to lop off the one ear and add the beret and fashion some shades out of plastic epoxy.

pig.jpg

I'm guessing the Beret Pig must be a popular character from Japan at some point at there were different pieces of related Merchandise. If we could figure out the character's name it would make the search much easier.

Also I looked around at some scooters and have noticed something. It seems that a bunch of european made scooters have a little rack on the back wheel that kind of matches up with the Pee Wee scooter. The Pee Wee scooter's rear rack looks bigger and of a different style though. It's probably a bicycle rack that was transplanted.

$_57 (3).JPG$_57 (8).JPG$_57 (12).JPG7168563040_de669eeaa8_b.jpgVintage-Dutch-Push-Scooter-20150527041526.jpg

attachment.php

However the front wheel hub looks like the 80's style plastic hub with the five big plastic spokes.

It'd be nice to positively identify what brand of scooter this actually is.

I will say that it's really hard to search for old kick scooters on eBay. Those modern razor scooter get in the way and are being sold by the thousand!

Attachments

• Winter_87_CU_02B.jpg
    Winter_87_CU_02B.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 641

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back