Pan's Labyrinth Key - Research and build

avagoyamug

Hi everyone,

I plan to do the key of the faun, from Pan's Labyrinth. Here are some pics of the original prop I found:

I found concept art for the original prop by the awesome Sergio Sandoval:

...and plugged together the actual prop (which is a mix of no 1 and 2, with a longer shaft):

If you guys loved the movie as much as I did and have any more reference shots, let me know.
Also, much more important: If anyone knows or knows how to find out the actual size of the original prop, you'd help me out a lot...
I couldn't find anything on this so far, and would hate to have to estimate this!

I'll keep you guys posted, cheers!

I was just looking at this the other day and found some of these same images. Here's another one from the MOPOP (formerly EMP) exhibit I found on flickr at a slightly different angle.

638906-5ede7a72dffaea9e9cb88ba9c209fb7e.jpg

Thanks, this helps!

I just finished the rough blockout yesterday... for proportions, I stayed pretty true to the concept (only with the shaft elongated), but for the wooden shaft will try to stick to the photo reference, since it turned out quite different to the concept.

I couldn't find the two smaller pins on the photos, so I will propably remove them.

Next up is the detailing...

That's gorgeous! What is it printed in, metal or plastic? If the gold portions are paint on plastic, then that's just as impressive as the technique on the wood portion. :) I'm a sucker for key props, let us know if you end up putting it on Shapeways or something!

Thanks! I experimented forever with metallic paints, so hearing this means a lot!
Glad you guys like it!

I put it on my Etsy and CGTrader shops, but I think I'm not allowed to advertise these here...

Thanks! I experimented forever with metallic paints, so hearing this means a lot!
Glad you guys like it!

I put it on my Etsy and CGTrader shops, but I think I'm not allowed to advertise these here...

I think you're good on the requirements, you would just need to pay for Premium Membership and then post in Junkyard or project runs.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back