P2 Combi Spear W.I.P

Kithunter

Just wanted to share a project i've been piddling around with for a few months...

long story short when i orignally got my spear i had it casted up just in case it ever broke or got damaged in anyway ...this mold has been sitting in my basement for years... i had plans to make a "clear" see through combi but that never panned out .. ...

anyway, the original spear i had weighed about 25 lbs because i used copper pipes and the weight killed me. so i decided to try and use a very lightweight material i came across this stuff called of all things..."GREAT STUFF"

it's a self expanding and self skinning foam for about 5 bucks a can ...prepped my mold and figured if it doesn't work...no biggie just trash the mold and call it a day

pumped the whole can into the mold ...came back the next day and check it out

spear_3.jpg

painted with flat black enamel paint

Close up of detail( pretty good)
spear_1.jpg

teaching my son how to dry brush the copper paint onto it
spear_2.jpg

best part of the whole thing is the weight on it...not even a 1/4 ounce on the piece

i'll take some more progress shots, just wanted to share...

spear_3.jpg

spear_1.jpg

spear_2.jpg

That looks great! I keep meaning to do something with my spear, but never quite get round to it. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it up good to see you getting the boy involved.

About damn time you did something with said mold.

Spear looks great.

and as a man once told me, " it needs closer inspection though, . . . . you know my address "

like i told you lee man...i'm older so it takes me longer but when i do it ...it counts

my son is my biggest helper when it comes to bouncing ideas off of...

i'll flat out ask him ...is this paint better or that paint?...he is very honest and tells me his thoughts ..."well dad ya know the predator would have that color because"... very honest and usually right on.

i still might try to do the clear combi but i don't have any extra spear tips lying around and i lost a few over the years

i'll take some more pics tonight..the spear is going to be a 3/4 open one...just like on the rooftop

Dude, why didnt you say.

I know your old, but you sent me some tips to mould for the spear i got off you last year ( i know 12 months is along time when you hit your age )

Anyhoo, i made 1 of each and never got around to mould them due to the stupid undercut and odd shape, but i had a moment of clarity last week, so let me know how many you want , ill mold these suckers up and assumig it works, consider as many as you need yours.

I've known of Great Stuff for years, but never heard anyone try and fill a mold like this. It turned out great! What is the mold made of, where the foam filler doesn't stick to it?

never saw it used like that either drew but i took a shot....

silicone mold just used some cooking spray for the release,
They reccomend 1 hour for setting time but i left it overnight in the mold and was very carefull pulling it out of the mold

the "stuff" in the center of the skin was still soft so i took it out and let it set in the sun to make sure it cured from the inside before i trimed and paint

That's awesome. Nicely done, I do say so myself. Always gotta find ways to make things lighter.

But didn't you say you don't really like the P2 movie?

think you could have one of these painted and overnight to me before Saturday morning? No better place to display a new piece than Comic Con. THat WILL go great with my elder.

E-O

How well do you think the Great Stuff foam will hold together when you add the length of the spear shafts out the ends?

very well actually you can see the center wooden dowel it's 1/2 inch and runs straight through it for support.

the other dowels will be made of wood as well to keep this piece well under 1/2lb.

AM

Absolutely Phenominal! Truly innovative, Kit! Honestly I made a spear a while back using a similar method
except the handle part of mine is nothing more than a shipping tube w/ decor. Now casting your handle
around my spear would be so sweet, I'd probably need milk.......rich! Might there be the possiblity of such?
Sending a PM

Nice! Never thought of using great stuff like that. Good to know it dosent stick to silicone. May have to play with it myself. Nicely done sir!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back