Optimus Prime ion blaster built !! (new update !)

Re: Optimus Prime ion blaster WIP

I finally got a day off and some free time so I thought I'd share some build pics of my project, I'll do a full write up on my blog after I finish.

View attachment 60608

The main part of the gun started as a 4" coupler and adapter glued together with pvc glue, the adapter made a near perfect bevel which made things alot easier. I also glued a piece of Sintra, cut from a paper pattern I made, around it for the raised part .

View attachment 60612
I made a pattern out of cardstock for the barrel ridges and cut those from Sintra .

View attachment 60613

I then scored lines in them to bend over the sides to get the shape I wanted.

View attachment 60614

Ta-Da !

View attachment 60615

Those ridges were a terrible pain in the behind to smooth out

View attachment 60616

I cut the handgrip and magazine out of MDF and made trim rings out of 1/4" MDF, and glued them together

View attachment 60617

After sanding them into shape, I cut some thin strips of Sintra fot the grip details and glued those into place

View attachment 60618

I cut the sightline parts out of MDF, then I used drill press to hollow out all of the MDF parts as much as I could to make it lighter.

View attachment 60619

I found a cool pvc adapter that looked great as the barrel end! I just beveled the edge a bit with my sander.

View attachment 60620

I made an adapter out of MDF and Bondo to join the front barrel tube and have the tapered part in between.

View attachment 60621

I made the rear box out of poplar and Sintra, if you look at the box from the rear, it tapers down from the middle to the top, that was a pain. I just need to add the raised "vents" for detail.

View attachment 60622

I cut square holes in the side of the barrel and fit a smaller diameter tube inside for the cutout details , I need to add the asst. tubes and widgets and will do an inkwash in there after painting.

View attachment 60623

And that is where I currently am ! andy questions, feel free to ask !

An optimus prime build is awesome...This is Epic!:D.. looking forward to your vacation updates...

Now how bout an energy axe to go with it?:p haha

Very very cool. always wanted a prime cannon glad to see there are other like me.

Follow thread.. clicked

I love the build. I wish I had thought of some of your techniques when building mine. It would have gone a lot smoother. Please keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the completed gun.

I got 95% done with fabrication and assembly today and finally got a solid coat of primer on it, I have one little piece that goes between the grip and clip, and the details in the chamber cutout to be done. Should I wait until after making a cast to paint it ? What do you think ?

View attachment 62661

Def cast it up before painting...ur just gonna have to do it all over again:) Its looking very good, I wish i was in posting distance:D

Fantastic build! If you make any to sell, I'll take one!

I do plan on this being my first endeavor in casting, I'm spending extra time now making sure the details are right and there are no cracks or gaps to ruin the silicone. If it turns out good i'll let you know !

I have FINALLY finished the "build" part of my Ion Blaster ! I want to cast copies of it but I need to learn everything I can first about making molds. I have the videos on the Smoothcast website bookmarked, as well as pouring over other members build threads like Volpin's to learn what I can. The blaster is less than ten pounds, I can hold it one handed, which is pretty good considering the materials used. I'd love everyone's feedback, I have much to learn.
P.S. I coated it in Optimus Primer.... (rimshot) lol

The picture is of the Ion Blaster that comes with the Masterpiece Optimus.

View attachment 62847

View attachment 62848

View attachment 62849

View attachment 62850

View attachment 62851

Re: Optimus Prime ion blaster built !!

I want it!! :'(... just when im about to move to Australia, this comes along!.. U sir have done prime proud!:p.....Also....cheeeesy pun hahaha

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back