Official Ghostbusters PKE Meter Prop

Anyone know or guess how many of these will be made? Am I niave in thinking that us minority of nerds* who really want this should be able to log in on pre-order day and get one?

*sorry, collectors.:lol

There is good news and bad news here. The good news is that someone is finally making what looks like a pretty good PKE meter. The bad news is that that someone is Mattel and that they are selling it through their collector website, Matty.com.

In addition to collecting props, I also collect toys, especially DC comics toys and anything relating to Green Lantern. One of my regular nightmares is the monthly sale on Matty.com. They sell their products once a month, on the 15th, at noon. In addition to the DC Universe toys, they also deal in other lines, including Masters of the Universe (the He-Man toys) which have an avid fan base. Consequently, the Matty.com site is completely overwhelmed on sale day. And they have insufficient product to meet demand; often things sell out in, quite literally, minutes.

Unfortunately, the Matty.com website has no provision for holding an item for you while you are completing your transaction. Because of the volume of traffic on the site on sale days, you will often find yourself in the limbo that the toy collecting forums call "the white screen of death" and by the time you get to complete your transaction, you get an error message informing you that the item you are trying to purchase is now sold out. It is a hugely frustrating experience.

Mattel uses an outfit called Digital River to fulfill their sales orders. They have what I believe is the worst customer service on the planet. Last month, I had the unfortunate experience of ordering an item from them that did not arrive. I received only an empty collector's box, no toy inside. When I called customer service, I was told that they could not fulfill my order because they were saving the remaining stock of the item (it was, in fact, a Ghostbusters figure) to sell at San Diego Comic-Con. I was offered a refund instead. It took over an hour of climbing the ladder of supervisors to get my figure sent to me. Clearly, any mentality which refuses to make good on an order so that the stock can be sold elsewhere is not a customer service-oriented mentality.

I dread dealing with Matty.com like I dread the plague. I know that every month they receive numerous complaints and have promised to try to deal with some of the problems. Maybe by "holiday 2011" they will have fixed things, but so far, it's been a year and a half and they STILL haven't implemented software which will hold your items for you while you complete your transaction. Surely this is readily available; the problem has been going on at Mattel for a year and a half or more now, and they still haven't fixed the issue.

I'm sorry; this turned into a rant, and that is not what I wanted. But I do dread dealing with Mattel and Digital River in order to get my PKE meter when the time comes.

Last edited:
they changed the date on the card to say 2010 now, so that confirms what everything else was saying. 2010, not 2011.

Wow that does look great! would love to get hold of one but being in the uk probably will count me out, not had much luck on getting in on online ordering

ordering from their website really is hell though... i hope they have enough for everyone...

No offence to the makers of these originally BUT I am so glad I didn't pay $400 for one of these a year ago!

No offence to the makers of these originally BUT I am so glad I didn't pay $400 for one of these a year ago!

Toy vs replica prop, from everything I'm seeing it an absolutely great toy, and the price is fantastic... I'll do my best to secure at least one of them, it can't be beat for a costume or convention piece! But, it won't be a display piece for me...

We come down the the same thing we always do in this hobby...

Don Post/Rubies Helmets vs Master Replicas, EFX or fan made...

Art Asylum Trek stuff vs Master Replicas, Roddenberry, or John Long etc...

Master Replica Force FX sabers vs Master Replica replica prop lines, Icons or fan made...

And the list could go on... It's all about the fine details that differentiate a general public toy offering vs a high quality replica display piece...

Two different offerings to two different groups, yes there is some overlap of the groups but there is still a difference...

A phenomenal toy offering but it lacks the details to be a true replica prop that will satisfy those that seek those details...

but im sure its a great base to make those accurate changes to to bring it up to prop quality level.

but im sure its a great base to make those accurate changes to to bring it up to prop quality level.

Well until we see the production model we won't know, same could be said for all the above examples I gave...

From Cyland Props first impressions, I'll take his words for this right now as he has had his hands on the real prop...

Seems a little small.
Details on back are too short and not tappered.
Lights on wings are dim.
Wings not shaped right.
The speed wheel takes a lot of cranking to get it to speed up or slow down.
The wing lights are rounded.
The screen lights are too big and not isolated.
The screen is not shaped right.
The screen switch is too long.
The rectangle LEDs are too big.
The paint is dark grey with too much silver.

That is a lot of minor details, but to correct them all you have to pretty much rework the entire thing... Most will be more then happy with it, and yeah it could be tweaked here and there to be better, but that doesn't take away the difference between it being a toy vs a high quality replica prop...

A perfect parallel I picked up my Art Asylum TOS Trek communicator for $25 brand new in box, that doesn't mean that the market for multi-hundred dollar high end versions doesn't still exist...

Unfortunately, the Matty.com website has no provision for holding an item for you while you are completing your transaction. Because of the volume of traffic on the site on sale days, you will often find yourself in the limbo that the toy collecting forums call "the white screen of death" and by the time you get to complete your transaction, you get an error message informing you that the item you are trying to purchase is now sold out. It is a hugely frustrating experience.

Jeez, it sounds exactly like the oh so fun experience of trying to buy tickets to a premium concert online through Ticketbastard. Reload and reload and reload and oh, now main floor tickets are no longer available. I would really like to get one or two of these props but the thought of that hair-pulling experience once again does not excite me.

Of course, eventually they'll be available on the bay, with a substantial markup I'm sure.

Of course, eventually they'll be available on the bay, with a substantial markup I'm sure.

When they sell out expect 2-4 times markup easily from what I have have seen by other GB Matty releases...

Example the 12" Ghostbusters figures that sold for $60 are now selling consistently on Ebay for $200+ I would expect nothing less from this offering unless they substantially increase the run size..

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back