Obscure Ship From the Thrawn Trilogy Comic Books

Albertese

So, I was reading the graphic novel version of the Thrawn Trilogy and I found a number of cool looking spacecraft in there. I decided it would be fun to scratch build some of them. I decided to start with this one: the A-Class Bulk Freighter which was used on a sneak attack against the New Republic's Sluis Van shipyards. It's a very angular ship... lots of flat surfaces. I thought it'd be a fun, quick build. Here are the images of the ship from the comic book:

And here's my progress thus far:

Started by cutting out the sides and scribed in panel lines:

Then I started working on the structure for the bulk of the ship. The vertical square-tube will accept the display stand:

I built a bit of framing to the sides that hold them to shape, but they're not fixed to the middle structure yet. Everything still slides apart a this stage.

I started to greeble the hangar bay cut out. Most of the details are from a 1:48 F-15. Also there are couple wheels from a 1:72 tank and the guts from a floss dispenser.

And I greebled up the top trench area. Most of these parts are from a 1:35 tank, but there are some 1:426 and 1:700 battleship guns and random clippings of styrene strips and a couple bits from that 1:72 fuel truck.

And to quote our own heroic TheNylonGag, "Mmmmmmmmm Primer"

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

--Alex

Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

I got a bit more done before the end of the weekend.

I wanted the hangar area walls to have some texture, so I sliced up a syrup container from Jack in the Box and applied the ribbing to the walls.

Also, I greebled the lower trench:

Then I got started on the cargo boxes. The drawings in the graphic novel are not consistent on how this area is supposed to be, so I extrapolated quite a bit. First I made a long box of styrene sheet and square tubes:

Then I cut it into five short lengths and covered the ends with some ribbed sheet styrene, to match the one detail that is consistent on the drawings... the horizontal lines. I also built up the area around to make some industrial looking framing.

I'm still treating it as sub-assemblies right now, and none of the cargo boxes are glued down yet, to make painting easier.

One of the pleasures in a project like this is that the drawings aren't so detailed. In a sense it's basically just concept art and you still get a lot of wiggle room to nail down the details. For me, it's more relaxing than all the research needed for Studio Scale projects. Really, this model is just kind of a break in a larger, totally unrelated project that is very research heavy. Breaks are fun.

--Alex

I got a bit more done this evening. Detailing the underside of the forward ...plate-thingies... I guess the Falcon has mandibles, so let's call them mandibles.

I detailed the edges with tiny bits of styrene. More details out of landing gear from a fighter jet and bits from a 1:700 battleship. The black bands are cut offs from a zip-tie... should look cool painted up. I have a cover for the left side too, but left it off for this pic, just to show the details underneath.

More to come! Thanks for looking!

--Alex

Awesome looking build! I love the different kit details that have been put in! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So! I had put this thing on hold as I tried to think of how to light the engines. I experimented a bit with a couple different reading lights from Dollar Tree. Wasn't happy with the results. I've never really lit up a model before, and I'm kinda chicken to start looking into doing my own wiring and such, though I have an electronics buddy who swears it's stupid easy. Maybe next time.

I happened to find these little self contained lights at a random trip to a Joanne's Fabrics store.

I built a little frame to hold a pair of these inside the hull. (no picture)

I built up some engines inspired by the illustration in the comic book and I greebled the area around. I plan to do a bit more greebling to the engines themselves, perhaps.

Here is a lighting test:

Here's the details without the lights turned on:

To keep the switches accessible, my intent is to make one of the sides hold on just by magnets. Then, when the batteries finally die, I'll cement it together. I really only need the batteries to work for a few photo shoots. After that, if it stays forever dark, I'm okay with that. I don't have any other lit models, so, whatever. The way I have the lights in there, they aren't accessible for battery changes anyhow.

Thanks for looking!

--Alex

This is really nice, lots of inspiration to get some more done on my angular ship :) I like the cargo containers or whatever the boxes on the front are, they have a bit of the feel of the Rebel Transport, and the overhanging plates fit with that too. Different but familiar.

W

What are those pieces you are using there as the ends of the engines?

So! I had put this thing on hold as I tried to think of how to light the engines. I experimented a bit with a couple different reading lights from Dollar Tree. Wasn't happy with the results. I've never really lit up a model before, and I'm kinda chicken to start looking into doing my own wiring and such, though I have an electronics buddy who swears it's stupid easy. Maybe next time.

I happened to find these little self contained lights at a random trip to a Joanne's Fabrics store.

http://s25.postimg.org/jd9dcah1b/2014_09_07_20_28_05.jpg

I built a little frame to hold a pair of these inside the hull. (no picture)

I built up some engines inspired by the illustration in the comic book and I greebled the area around. I plan to do a bit more greebling to the engines themselves, perhaps.

Here is a lighting test:

http://s25.postimg.org/3t1zlr6wv/2014_09_07_20_19_31.jpg

Here's the details without the lights turned on:

http://s25.postimg.org/lx506e4lb/2014_09_07_20_18_16.jpg

To keep the switches accessible, my intent is to make one of the sides hold on just by magnets. Then, when the batteries finally die, I'll cement it together. I really only need the batteries to work for a few photo shoots. After that, if it stays forever dark, I'm okay with that. I don't have any other lit models, so, whatever. The way I have the lights in there, they aren't accessible for battery changes anyhow.

Thanks for looking!

--Alex

The inner exhaust parts are wheels from a tank. Don't ask me which one, though, as I have half a dozen kits worth of parts spread around. Could be anything. I thk somethign 1:35, though, if that helps.

--Alex

Okay, so I got s bit more done tonight. I built up this boxy structural business on one side. A similar, but non-symmetrical structure will balance out the other side. The comic book drawings show this shape, but I improvised on the details, especially the pipes in the lower part. But i feel it seems Star Warsy enough still...

More to come!

--Alex

Hello all,

Very happy and excited to have discovered this very cool project because I'm the one who designed that ship (and later drew it on the pages).
Too bad I didn't see it earlier because I have a detailed view of the ship, that's the drawing I have submitted to Lucasfilm for approval at the time that miniseries was in production...
Hope it'll help (even if it's a little too late, I know) !

Cheers
Fred

PS : Will Vale is right, the main idea here was to develop an Imperial Tuna Ship close to the one used by the rebel alliance, but with an imperial vibe.

IMPERIAL TUNA SHIP.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back