Cargo Transport Ship Engines: N Scale

norscout

I'm building an N-Scale cargo transport ship, 20-24" in length. It's a concept model, practice build, not a specific replica.
I'm looking for some good bits to use as rear engine thrust nozzles. Extruding from an angled transom, perhaps two on a top section at approx 19mm / 3/4" diameter and two on a larger section below at approx 26mm / 1" diameter. Can you recommend specific kit parts that may work well for this?

I'm building an N-Scale cargo transport ship, 20-24" in length. It's a concept model, practice build, not a specific replica.
I'm looking for some good bits to use as rear engine thrust nozzles. Extruding from an angled transom, perhaps two on a top section at approx 19mm / 3/4" diameter and two on a larger section below at approx 26mm / 1" diameter. Can you recommend specific kit parts that may work well for this?
Any drawings you could show us? They're many ways to make thrust nozzles; from plastic Easter eggs (Dollar Store) to plastic wine glasses, etc...

Not sure if the scale will be right but I’ve seen Yakult bottles used for engines

If you Google: yakult bottle for scratch model

You’ll find more examples.

IMG_6841.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

Last edited:
Any drawings you could show us? They're many ways to make thrust nozzles; from plastic Easter eggs (Dollar Store) to plastic wine glasses, etc...
Just a workbench notepad sketch (not one I'd usually show ;) but something like this. It's a bit out of scale, I'll make it right in the build. I'm designing it more in plastic than on paper. I mainly want a big beveled box to practice painting on. Will be scratch built with minimal details but I need cool engines!

Attachments

• Norscout_rpf_cargoship_thmb.jpg
    Norscout_rpf_cargoship_thmb.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 70
Just a workbench notepad sketch (not one I'd usually show ;) but something like this. It's a bit out of scale, I'll make it right in the build. I'm designing it more in plastic than on paper. I mainly want a big beveled box to practice painting on. Will be scratch built with minimal details but I need cool engines!
So basically a hexagon-shaped rear with simple round tube? Or you want to integrate the engine bells inside the rear?

So basically a hexagon-shaped rear with simple round tube? Or you want to integrate the engine bells inside the rear?
Yes. Good question. I ordered 3/4" and 1" acrylic tube. I may start with that but I need to add some kind of interesting shapes, parts or design detail. Maybe integrating engine bells. To keep 'em balanced they probably should not stick out too far past the transom.
Some of the ilm models look like they used mopar car rims, truck and tank wheels on engines. Is that accurate? My greeble box has nothing useable.
I like the flat ovals Ralph McQuarrie used on his Snowspeeder. Perhaps I can try two large horizontal flat ovals, half tube and flat in between.

I did some sketches and changed it up a bit: shortened the engine section and extended the cargo hull. Captain's cabin and escape pod is up top. Added a ball turret up front below the bridge and a rear spoiler. Engines sketched as basic tubes for now.

Attachments

• Norscout.RPF-CargoShip.DesignSketch.png
    Norscout.RPF-CargoShip.DesignSketch.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
I did some sketches and changed it up a bit: shortened the engine section and extended the cargo hull. Captain's cabin and escape pod is up top. Added a ball turret up front below the bridge and a rear spoiler. Engines sketched as basic tubes for now.
Like the design of that ship; a little bit like Brutal Architecture.(y)(y) If you want to continue with that type of design, you will not have to populate it with a lot of greeblies/details. Looking at your drawing, it's going to be mostly panel lines. You can line up the straight tubes with Evergreen flat strips to make it a bit more interesting. What's the overall measurements of that ship?

Like the design of that ship; a little bit like Brutal Architecture.(y)(y) If you want to continue with that type of design, you will not have to populate it with a lot of greeblies/details. Looking at your drawing, it's going to be mostly panel lines. You can line up the straight tubes with Evergreen flat strips to make it a bit more interesting. What's the overall measurements of that ship?
Thanks. Yes, probably a couple days of scribing panel lines. I need to expand my greeblie collection. Can you recommend any useful kits to pick up for good N Scale ship greeblies? Overall dimensions are 250' x 70' tall, at scale about 21" x 6" / 533mm x 153mm.

Cheap, old battleships come to mind (Airfix, Revell, Monogram...) Also, 1/72 scale armor kits, Fujimi seems to have lots of well detailed parts, but I'm sure others will work also. Flea markets shopping might not be a bad idea...
R/ Robert

Thanks. Yes, probably a couple days of scribing panel lines. I need to expand my greeblie collection. Can you recommend any useful kits to pick up for good N Scale ship greeblies? Overall dimensions are 250' x 70' tall, at scale about 21" x 6" / 533mm x 153mm.
I tend, usually, not to use kit greeblies simply because when I buy a kit, I build it using all of the components/pieces from start to finish.
I use stuff you'll see in a hardware store: plastic sleeves (to screw into plaster) that you can cut and modify at will; different designs for these.
Laptop greeblies: keyboard nernies, electronics, etc. Metal staples are also good to use also;)

I tend, usually, not to use kit greeblies simply because when I buy a kit, I build it using all of the components/pieces from start to finish.
I use stuff you'll see in a hardware store: plastic sleeves (to screw into plaster) that you can cut and modify at will; different designs for these.
Laptop greeblies: keyboard nernies, electronics, etc. Metal staples are also good to use also;)
Agreed. Same here. Most of my kits I use all the parts and don't have leftovers. I do the hardware store shapes for full size prop builds. I will start looking for more miniature greeblies now in stores too thx.

Cheap, old battleships come to mind (Airfix, Revell, Monogram...) Also, 1/72 scale armor kits, Fujimi seems to have lots of well detailed parts, but I'm sure others will work also. Flea markets shopping might not be a bad idea...
R/ Robert
Battleships! Good call, thx. I'll look for some. Yeah buying new kits hoping for a few greeblies can get expensive fast.

Got started on the cargo ship build tonight.
Keeping it simple, using scrap wood I have for the frame.
Norscout.CargoShip.004.png

I stretched it out more, to 24"
Norscout.CargoShip.004a.png

1x4" 2x2" & 1/4" MDF should provide a good base.
Norscout.CargoShip.004b.png

Picked up a few bits at the hardware store today to play around with potential engines.
I'll likely go with something like the right option, bevel edges and add radial details similar to Blockade Runner nozzles.
Norscout.CargoShip.004c.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back