Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

Marv,

I can make a perfect one if you want !
as payment,you can ship me the original one,with box please!

joke...

However I would ask if you coult take accurate measurments,millimeters if possible,or both,inches and millimeters(because not easy to change one for other)
If you could take shots of your parts(emitter,and grenade,booster),white background,waiting cloudly days for a better result.
I would be interestedin collecting some good and large pictures of the parts.
Then adding informations about differences.
I have measurments provides by anakin starkiller,and would compare them and compare with my existing datas.
Finally I would creat a database and share it on this forum,to have all pictures on same image,easier.

Serenity,I tried some B&W from colored photos,and seems there would be some white paint on original saber,will post the photos when the assembly will be done.
if you would be ok do do same,large pics of your parts,could be great.
Actually I made only this picture:

obiparts.png

Based on photos I made and found on the net,but generally the internet photos are too small(grenade,booster and emitter) or taken on a colored background,I did my best to have some good results,but it's not easy...

Will replace clamp photo in the future,would find better booster pics,not easy!

...I was shocked by the finish. Not as immaculate as I would have thought, but then I guess these would have been done by hand and not with a CNC :)
More than likely it was made in a machine shop somewhere by a guy who worked for the lowest bidder and had to set up the machine manually, and Inconel can be a difficult material to machine if you don't know what you're doing. The finish on critical surfaces is probably at least slightly more "polished" than on non-critical surfaces.

‘Hello there….’. My name is Colin, I've been a member here for a few years but have only posted once. So this is my second post.

This is a great thread. The ANH Obi Wan lightsaber is my favorite. It’s good to see all the various parts (and variations), different builds members have done and also the collectors editions such as the Icon’s and Master replicas all in one place.

My ANH Obi Wan lightsaber is pretty much all made by myself. I started the project in 1990 using the reference photo in the book Mechanismo and the cut away sketch by Brian Lewis. I drew up some plans and started building with a view to making a kit.

Here’s my instruction sheet.
OBIANHRExp.jpg

I produced all the masters from fast cast, which I machined. I initially approached the upper grip as a repeated part, which I then glued together as a stack. All the pieces then fitted over some K&S brass tube.

This is what I started with.
OriginalpartsObiANH.jpg

So my MK1 was all fast cast with a vacuum metalized pommel. The clamp I covered in aluminum foil. The calculator bubble display I used had nine bubbles. This is how it looked in the early nineties.

MK1
MK1ANHObi.jpg

Then over the next fifteen years I tinkered, altering bits as new photographs surfaced. Unhappy with the vacuum metalized pommel I had my pattern lost wax cast in brass, with a view to having it plated. But in the end I deemed it too heavy. So instead I had it sand cast in aluminum. This was a lot lighter and after a bit of finishing on a lathe I could polish it up.

I remodeled the buttons and the part of my clamp, which takes the bubble display at this point and had them cast in Aluminum too. I then decided to remake the upper grip with a different approach. I cast an extrusion in fast cast and then turned in the rotational detail on a lathe.

This was MK2
MK2ANHObi.jpg

Here’s an overview of the parts I made over the years with the variations.
PartsOVObiANH.jpg

continued in next post

- - - Updated - - -

Finally around 2004 I wanted more parts to be metal so I set about doing a MK3.

Apart from the two grips everything would be metal. Either, aluminum, brass or white metal. By this stage I had remodeled the bubble strip to seven bubbles and cast it in a clear fast cast.

Here's how MK3 turned out.
MK3ANHObi.jpg

I was pretty pleased with the final saber, which I finished in 2006. It’s probably slightly out of proportion and oversized at 290mm long (the clamp diameter is 43.5mm).

Here’s a comparison of mine to the Master Replicas.
ObiANHComp.jpg

This thread has possibly reignited may interest in the ANH Obi lightsaber. Since I saw the video of the ‘Reveal’ Luke ROTJ saber, I have wanted to do a version of Obi Wan’s in the same way. I see it has been done in this thread by slothfurnace, which looks great.

So if I did undertake such a project, would I use my own parts or should I start looking for more screen accurate, or original parts.

Maybe the latter, as I guess mine are far from screen accurate.

If only this thread had been around fifteen years ago!

Regards

Colin

Hi, Im kinda new here. i actually have been a member for many years but never posted. this is my first. I just got the correct balance pipe interconnect to complete my all real parts ANH Obi saber. I will post pics soon cuz I would like it to be verified. I have all original parts minus the transistors. I found 1 of them but am waiting for delivery. the Derwent BP is the correct BL 14894. I have been building real parts sabers for many years and have a lot of extra parts. once i learn the ways of the RPF i will make them available to all of you.

Found a old grenade.
Added to old clamp,bubble strip and pommel,this is the beginning for another obi saber,not for my "main" obi saber.
I will keep the main saber for a complicated technology inside,and make another,but all vintage,except emitter,of course it will be a fx saber too.

CAn you guys helps me identify if this is authentic???

I'm waiting on higher res and more photos of it, but don't want to get taken for a fool:

image-27.jpegimage-28.jpeg

If it comes apart it's probably a replica.

I would need more/better photos, from here it appears to be a replica to me. Inconel has a very distinct 'look' to it.

I too say it looks like a replica. I don't think its a russrep, maybe a serafino/obee1. Larger pics would defiantly help to make a firm judgement.

Real one doesn't come apart. I'd agree with what was said above too, it won't be all shiny even if it's straight out the box.

So I'm really wanting to get going on an Obiwan saber... but I have no idea where to start.

Of course I would love to go all original, but since I've seen how much the parts go for, I'm thinking of replica parts...

but this saber just seems like such an awesome mess of different parts, I'm not sure where to start.

I mean obviously I can get a graflex clam, to keep original, but what about the other parts... what are my best bets?

If I'm even able to get the russ rep emitter and grenade, how does it attach to the rest of the parts... and do I jsut wait for those parts to be done with him, or will other replica parts work?

I guess I really just have no idea where to start, and after reading 12 pages of THIS thread, I can't say I'm any clearer on where to start...

Any pointers... cuz I'm starting to really love this saber.

_Rutty

If it comes apart it's probably a replica.

I would need more/better photos, from here it appears to be a replica to me. Inconel has a very distinct 'look' to it.

Hey guys I guess I missed this, but why don't originals come apart?
From my understanding the Russ replicas based on an original have a machined groove in the inside piece, which would be pointless if it wasn't on the original. So have people muscled originals apart or are they one piece?

Certainly. An original doesn't separate. As to why this is the case I don't know I guess it could have something to do with where it is in the engine, and that if there are more pieces then there is a higher chance of something coming apart?
As to there being a groove on the inside, the one I cleaned up for my saber is attached now but I am near 100% certain its flush on the inner tube?
All I can assume is that even if Russ has manufactured his using an original to base them on it could be he chose to do it that way to simplify the manufacture process, aesthetically there would be very little difference. This is probably a question put to Russ himself, I'm sure he would divulge.
DSC03303.JPGDSC03305.JPG

Marv! U lucky man! Your saber is looking fantastic. With all the natural aging and like charlie said 'imperfections' this is one of the best I've seen yet. I don't know why but I love the rest of the red color on the grenade. Just lovely:thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back