Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

Figure it was about time I add my pics in. I had to dig them out of the garage and crawlspace so they aren't the best pics. They have been in storage for quite some time and some are in a state of disrepair, I need to get them restored and find a good place to display them again now that I am getting back into the hobby.

By far the favorite at this time is my Obi Wan.

IMG_20120807_124536.jpg

The emitter is one I made on my little lathe, the grenade is a Russ Rep, the center clip a perfect original, and the rest I got off of eBay over a decade ago so I have no idea who did them. Hoping to slowly get the rest of the parts from Russ Rep over the next few runs he does and maybe build a lighted crystal chamber inside it.

IMG_20130113_152206.jpg

Next are a few of my other favorites. The top I made with a Graflex extension flash and a Hieland Extension flash. The bottom of it is from my 3-cell and gets moved back and forth as I fell like it till I can get something else made.

Below that is another custom I was doing for my wife's Halloween costume. Again a Graflex extension flash that the plating was all buffed off to expose the brass followed by a piece I made on the late inside a piece of brass plumbing tube with the chrome buffed off the top half. I still have a lot to do as the wife wants girly designed etched into it. She just needs to decide on the designs.

The last one was one the wife and I made for one of her costumes over a decade ago. The bottom is a sprinkler head, the top a sink tube, and the parts around the emitter are reflector dish holders for the Graflex flashes.

IMG_20130113_151921.jpg

Next are my Luke's Holiday Special Lightsaber that I never finished yet. Started this one about ten years ago too. :unsure Hope to get it finished now that I am back into the prop scene.

Then there is my ROTJ Luke that I traded for probably 25 or so years ago. It was being passed off at the time as a screen used hero prop. I wasn't that stupid when I was young but wanted it anyway so I traded two 3-cells, that I payed $20 each for, without their bottoms for it. I'd say a good deal even today. Ah for the day when you could find a Graflex in the camera shops for $20.00. :unsure

IMG_20130113_151851.jpg

The one in the center was my first attempt at a Luke ROTJ whil in my high school metal shop class. Not bad for a first go, but it really kicked off my love of the lathe.

The two on the ends I did over a decade ago using washers and plumbing tubes, and threaded rod. The one on the right has the gears out of my VW Bug's old oil pump on it. I love that look and would probably go find more.

IMG_20130113_151552.jpg

Here are a couple ROTJ Vader Sabers that I made using extension flashes. One done, one in progress.

IMG_20130113_151532.jpg

This is another of my favorites. The bottom is a leather wrapped sprinkler head. The ring on the bottom along with the emitter and the two silver parts in between are the spindles that the disks are mounted to in the old MFM hard drives. For those not familiar with these things they were the boat anchor sized hard drives that were in 8088's all the way to 286 computers. The first to hit the commercial market in the early 80's. LOTS of great lightsaber parts in these things.

5.25_inch_MFM_hard_disk_drive.JPG

This is an MFM next to a laptop hard drive. I love busting into those things, they always had great parts for models and other projects.

IMG_20130113_151312.jpg

Various other flash based lightsabers I had made, another hardware store one and some lathed ones I did in high school, one wood the other aluminum.

IMG_20130113_151244.jpg

A couple more works in progress that got shoved aside many years ago and another flash based saber with a vacuum attachment for a emitter that I made in high school.

So that is it for my collection at the moment. I am going to be weeding out some of the more crude looking ones and try to get a display put together for the better ones when time allows. Ton of the toy lightsabers around, a Luke ESB FX saber and all the new Hasbro FX toy versions to, but I didn't make them so no point in taking their pictures.

Avolow.

Hehe, I wish it was a real MPP. :love

That one is a Heiland Synchronar flash unit with a 45 degree Heiland top.

IMG_20130113_194536.jpg

IMG_20130113_194550.jpg

IMG_20130113_194734.jpg

I have a couple different flash tops for the Heiland flashes. One is the 45 degree and the other is a 30 degree top. Both have the reflectors. I was thinking about getting the MPP button assembly for that flash to make it more accurate. Thinking about having it replated also.

Avolow.

These are amazing! I love the length to which you all go for authenticity.

By any chance is there a complete parts list for the classic Obiwan lightsabre?
I've read tons of posts, but have only seen a couple parts identified by their real-world names.

I guess I mean the "hardware store" names, rather than the reproduction parts makers.

Last edited:
By any chance is there a complete parts list for the classic Obiwan lightsabre?
I've read tons of posts, but have only seen a couple parts identified by their real-world names.

Emitter: Balance pipe from a Rolls Royce Derwent jet engine
Front section: British WWI Number 3 Mk 1 rifle grenade
Middle section: Graflex flash clamp, Exactra 19 calculator bubble strip, and Motorola transistors with washers
Rear "grip": Browning ANM2 machine gun booster
Pommel: Vintage Armitage Shanks handwheel

I have now re-blued the booster. I went for a single coat only and am really happy with the finish, as its brings its colour more in line with the grenade.
Now:
OBI.jpg

Before:
Obi1.jpg

here are mines,not all mines,in fact,the ones I'm working on...for friends,and for me!

img_3612.jpg

Top is mainly parks based,but has lots of modifications:
- modified parks grenade,with changes on the front bevel and internal threaded section,for direct mounting.
-modified parks booster,for more accurate look and threaded sectioosn for assembly
-parks clamp,with fake patina
The emitter is made by myself,and the assembly too,created for room,because it's a fx saber.

The middle is a MK3 parks saber,with custom emitter and romans pommel.
It's already a fx saber.
I posted this saber in the past,but it was just a modifed MK3 at this time,with only custom emitter,and fake patina.
I replaced the parks pommel for a romans,and created a real patina.

The bottom saber is mine,already posted here,but it's funny to make a family photo!

Here you can see details of the top saber:

bali10.jpg

And here,the booster before and after,made from memory,so there are mistakes(threaded section position):

bost10.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what size hole plug have any of you used to replace the endcap on a modern AS handwheel? I know the current trend is to use the actual cap, but in the past some have replaced it with a logo-free cap. I don't have one currently, but I want make a "more accurate" hardware pommel and I think the 1" hole plug is about the right size.

Nobody has anything to say about the endcap?

Figure it was about time I add my pics in... By far the favorite at this time is my Obi Wan.

IMG_20120807_124536.jpg

The emitter is one I made on my little lathe, the grenade is a Russ Rep, the center clip a perfect original, and the rest I got off of eBay over a decade ago so I have no idea who did them. Avolow.

Not that your stuff isn't great, and I hate to be that guy :unsure but could you edit your post to remove all the pics that aren't an Obi Wan saber, or at least related to it? Thanks :thumbsup

The measurement of the hole plug I used on a real AS handwheel is 1-1/8". It's a snug fit into the recess and leaves a gap around the edge (to show the color ring) like the real caps.

this is my first prop that i build

obib.jpg

100% made from scrap. the grafflex clamp is made from a tin can.
the grenade handle is made from a PVC pipe. the groves are done with a file.
the gear is made from a PVC pipe with all the gears glued on by hand.
well...you understand everything is scrapbuild.

it's still one of my favorites

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back