Nike MAG replicas (V2 and V3 only)

WizardBTTF, I just placed the LED board as is. Like you said, it fit snug. Very happy.
cavx, I applied little heat and separated with a popsicle stick. It's the same process I've read about here. Just had to have patience. I messed up a little because of how soft the material is, so I'll be more careful on the next shoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
@WizardBTTF, I just placed the LED board as is. Like you said, it fit snug. Very happy.
@cavx, I applied little heat and separated with a popsicle stick. It's the same process I've read about here. Just had to have patience. I messed up a little because of how soft the material is, so I'll be more careful on the next shoe.

Yeah that is what scares me with applying heat to these shoes. The rubber components appear to be the same 'foam rubber" used on the V1 shoes and that stuff actually shrank if too much heat was applied.

So sole dye number 2 and...

bcb894a12e83b6a51f978b3a0bf64430.jpg

So shoe on the left is from my display pair which was dyed when I did my video and shoe on the right is my wear pair I am doing now.

With the last dye, it was a powder that I mixed up with water. This is a premixed liquid straight out of the bottle.

The instruction say to boil the article of clothing to be dyed. Given it is just the soles we want to change the colour of, I poured some of the dye into a coffee cup and heated it in microwave for 30 seconds. This stuff seems to want some heat to help infuse but I don't recommend a heat gun or anything in case you end up with sole separation.

Rather than sit for several minutes and wiping the excess off, I got this result from air drying the dye by blowing on it. Be careful here because it tends to run. Start at the highest point and work your way down.

f6c4fdc386caaa6d332f55e76b115b13.jpg

I am going to give the right shoe one more hit and call it a day.

And here is a video.

The idea is to find an alternate to using sea glow - not to dismiss the idea, but like there are many ways to skin a cat.

I think the key here is to heat the dye - 30 seconds in a microwave. Normally, you have to boil the clothes you are dying. We can't boil the soles, so heating the dye has seemed to work.

Looks like the left shoe of my wear pair has a short. I thought it was a dead battery at first because they all go out but now I don't think that's it. Looks like I need to get a new battery if I'm going to have to do anything with the old.

Last edited:
No problem, glad you like them Hdiaz445

I've tried both heating and cutting them myself and while cutting sounds scarier and it's much more tedious it also gives good results. I find I get best results using a scalpel (because they are flat) super easy to just run flush against the shoe to make your cut. Since the blades are so thin and sharp the cut line disappears once glued back together.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 111
Looks like the left shoe of my wear pair has a short. I thought it was a dead battery at first because they all go out but now I don't think that's it. Looks like I need to get a new battery if I'm going to have to do anything with the old.

You have to consider that the battery is fairy rigid and the shoe flexes, even at the heel, so something has to give eventually.

I am bummed that the seller in the link posted by Jedifyfe won't ship to Australia. Short of risking something out of China, the only batteries of the same size that I can buy locally are 600mah without the little protection circuit.

Slightly off topic.
Amazing. Before the V2, we were chasing down a small celled waffle plastic to make more accurate side wings for the MP and V1 MAGs.

Look what I just found in kitchen.

ef7c07289900c59f19981e428dc40d11.jpg

I have not compared the size yet, but it looks close.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Dude just get both the dye and sea glow from ebay! that's what i had to do. i live in the UK so none of the shops have rit colour dye and sea glow. Ebay is your friend.

Sea glow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-GLOW-...hash=item4ae6ca1f47:m:mW4umaIqNAXHcjoDUrQmkqw

Rit - Royal Blue : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rit-Dye-F...765841&hash=item4ac9efd89e:g:7woAAOSw1DtXETSs

thats what i did.

- - - Updated - - -

The Rit colour dye is royal blue!

Cool, I'm in uk too so may get these. So I need both of the to make the mixture correct? Is there a guide anyone has done that I can save for if I do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, I'm in uk too so may get these. So I need both of the to make the mixture correct? Is there a guide anyone has done that I can save for if I do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sea Glow is actually a UV activated bleach. Rather than leave your shoes in the sun, if you can track down one of those UV torches, you will get the same results without having to expose the rest of the shoe. With a torch, you can target just the parts you need to hit with UV.

Knowing how much UV destroys threads and the like, I honestly feel that you don't want to be exposing the uppers if you have to,

Dying the display pair. This time I tipped the bottle of dye into a pot and brought it to the boil on the stove.

These are my tests. The dye is biting into the rubber as both of these test parts have been treated, let dry and then washed in water.

1b7663085c11203751fd61edce4c4584.jpg

It still takes a few coats and I am letting each coat sit for about 10 minutes.

98945802729ad832766ead266d2f80b4.jpg

Last edited:
@WizardBTTF told this forum a while back about "jump starting" the Lipo batteries in these shoes when they drain under the minimum amount. Once under that amount, they won't take on charge. Many people discard the batteries as if dead. The method of jump starting does pose risk but can reset the battery to a rechargeable state.

Once you extract the battery (see the videos both Jedifyfe and myself have done on battery removal) you will see a small electronic circuit mounted to the terminal end. This is a protection circuit that prevents over charge and is supposed to prevent over draw. The problem is, once the voltage drops below a predetermined threshold, this protection circuit prevents the battery being re-charged. The way around this is to "jump start" the battery by connecting a power source (today I used a 9V) in parallel - positive to positive and negative to negative like when you jump start a car. DO NOT do this in series - positive to negative. Also the videos i watched on YouTube showed them just touching the terminals. This did nothing and in the end, I held the wires in for a good 10 seconds. Initial voltage was 0.8v and after said 10 seconds was 1.8v. So I re-installed the battery, and presto I had lights.

My last attempt looked like it was fixed and working right up until I unplugged the shoe. This time, I have power, so here is hoping I can actually wear them with lights. The batteries are definitely in need of replacement because even the "good" one dies after after about 2 hours and we should be getting at least 4 or 5 hours run time from these. At least that is what I am getting from my display pair.

So after about 3 hours of charging, I am pleased to say that they live again!

fdc075bd0838aead38e25a43d1394973.jpg

Next up is the big test. Will they break if I wear them?

Anyway here is a video.

Attachments

• fdc075bd0838aead38e25a43d1394973.jpg
    fdc075bd0838aead38e25a43d1394973.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 38
cavx just to clarify I would really recommend using 5v to do this. When doing the battery "jump start" you really want to use the voltage the battery was designed to charge on. For most 3.7v batteries that will be 5v.

@cavx just to clarify I would really recommend using 5v to do this. When doing the battery "jump start" you really want to use the voltage the battery was designed to charge on. For most 3.7v batteries that will be 5v.

I remember you saying to run 5v and leave it for about 20mn. I was not able to make such a rig so went with what I had on hand at the time.

I ended up holding the connectors on for about 10 seconds and once I saw 1.8v, decided that a power test was in order. It worked, so off to the charge station.

Only thing, how long is too long to leave them connected?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back