News from the Mandalorian

spacebob

Sr Member
48397312_2197224316989611_5425264033877983232_n.jpg
:)

Interesting design. Not quite the same as the ESB IG-88, but it looks more practical. I don't think that is a real
flame tube either. Very cool looking none the less.

Interesting. Stuff I love: the copper accents, neck/chest tilt mechanism, that new spackling weathering technique I’ve been seeing on the droids since TFA (possibly oil-based to get the natural patterning?).

Stuff that’s odd: possibly missing rubber strut boots where arms meet the shoulders? Instead we see a clean, exposed, unweathered silver tube there. Also the eye pattern seems different and missing the iconic large “cyclopian” eye.

Still can’t wait to see how this will be animated. Possibly this is a practical puppet or this is merely a “stand in” for CG lighting/reflections?

There were (according to the EU) Four IG-88 droids, A-D. We saw B on the bridge of the Star Destroyer and later in the scrap heap on Bespin. C and D were destroyed by Boba Fett over Bespin (again, EU) and A abandoned his body to transfer his mind into the DSII, just before it was destroyed.

I dont recall what was said happened to the body of IG-88A, or if this is even one of the original models of the Droid.

There were also IG-86 Sentinel droids, Canon as of the Clone Wars animated series, which were very similar to -88. This could be one of them, or something altogether new.

Either way, I'm excited for this. IG-88 was my favorite bounty hunter from the OT.

”Clone Wars” did a nice job of showing him in action, though somewhat stylized for the production design of the series. I love the thought of seeing him actually “in action” in a live-action series. “

As for the differences in his appearance - since the series takes place at least a few, if not many, years after ESB, upgrades and self-modifications make perfect sense.

I hate to sound negative, but....

If that is, indeed, THE IG-88–instead of some other droid—it proves, once again, what a really small universe the “Star Wars” galaxy is, creatively speaking.

I hate to sound negative, but....

If that is, indeed, THE IG-88–instead of some other droid—it proves, once again, what a really small universe the “Star Wars” galaxy is, creatively speaking.

I see your point, but on the other hand:

I have not read much of the comics since the Disney continuity reboot, but just by virtue of his presence on the Executor in ESB, IG-88 must have been a pretty badass bounty hunter to be hired by the Empire for such a high-priority target as the Millenium Falcon.

And if it’s reasonable to assume that our unnamed Mandalorian is eventually going to be pulled into some high-stakes goings-on - i.e., something that may require the involvement of a badass bounty hunter - is it beyond the pale that the two would somehow cross paths?

Last edited:
Lol, did the post actually state IG-88....??? Lol, just asking as, as per usual, people are going off on one because it’s not exactly like ESB’s IG-88 Droid [emoji23][emoji1417]

The clone wars cartoons had IG looking droids, but because there were loads of them, nobody mentions them being 88’s. One pic of one on its own and everyone looses their minds [emoji23]

Lol, did the post actually state IG-88....??? Lol, just asking as, as per usual, people are going off on one because it’s not exactly like ESB’s IG-88 Droid [emoji23][emoji1417]

The clone wars cartoons had IG looking droids, but because there were loads of them, nobody mentions them being 88’s. One pic of one on its own and everyone looses their minds [emoji23]

Is anyone losing their minds here? Seems like people are pointing out details that have changed, but no one’s “going off”.

I believe the IG-series droids in Clone Wars were IG-86’s. It stands to reason that there were likewise multiple droids that went by the IG-88 designation.

That having been said, for almost 40 years, we nerds have been hypothesizing about what that particular droid is capable of, in-universe, to be a premiere bounty hunter in the same class as Boba Fett.

It’d be a really crappy “bait-and-switch” for Favreau to dangle that carrot, knowing what the common-sense fanboy assumption would be, if it wasn’t the IG-88. I could be wrong, but I prefer to give Favreau more credit than that.

But honestly, I really don’t care if he looks different than he does in ESB. Again, it’s perfectly plausible that he’s had repairs and upgrades over the years that would change his appearance.

I’m pretty sure IG-88 was always officially considered, in universe, to be an “assassin droid” whatever that means. It would make sense to have slight variations between droids of even the same series, just like R2 units having different colors. It wouldn’t/shouldn’t affect the assassin-y aspects of its capabilities.

I just want to see it run with those big clunky Tom Dempsey feet.

**On a side note, ever since I was a kid, I always had trouble making out the “face” of IG-88, as it is fairly set up without animal type features similar to how R2 doesn’t have a nose or mouth, even though one could argue he does have an eye. Even C-3PO has very human-like features for being a droid.

Has anyone else ever had difficulty placing which of IG-88’s “head” constructs represent which human-like features on his face like I did? This photo is the best representation of what I have taken to be what on his “face”.

BCF47D33-CFC6-481D-B66B-0C55B7D47A10.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back