New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

Thinking about this accessibility issue and internal power supplies, has anyone ever played around with rechargeable battery packs inside the model with a small micro-USB recharge port hidden under a removable panel or feature somewhere? True, nothing would be easily accessible if something went wrong but there could be no light leaks and everything would be really secure. Just a thought.

Ah ha, that might just be the answer. But along with a mini- USB charge port, I'm thinking the small arrow head shaped insert piece is a perfect candidate for a magnet attached removable panel. Also you could glue the top of the wedding cake deck lid down with something like white Gator glue. It's strong enough to hold, will seal any light leaks and can be cut easily around the perimeter with an xacto blade to remove the top in case of the need for serious repairs. I think that's worth a look to see how it would go together.

Bill

Edited with after thoughts. ORRRR you could MAYBE find batteries small enough to fit down inside that arrow shaped piece's hole. Then you could forgo the USB plug altogether and have a removable battery pack. Surely there must be some batteries that could fit in there, it's a decent sized hole.

Thinking about this accessibility issue and internal power supplies, has anyone ever played around with rechargeable battery packs inside the model with a small micro-USB recharge port hidden under a removable panel or feature somewhere? True, nothing would be easily accessible if something went wrong but there could be no light leaks and everything would be really secure. Just a thought.

The only problem with that is rechargeable batteries eventually wear down to being unable to hold a charge after so many recharges. I have wireless trackpads and keyboards that use rechargeables, and I have to replace them after about 8 months of use. Of course that use is continuous compared to a model you may not always have lit.

I would be interested in seeing if that is an option you work out for yourself.

That is the cool thing with this kit - there is no 'correct' way to build, light and display it. Whatever works seems to apply.

I use a wall jack and hide a phono plug female in the greebly somewhere. Mount the male plug in a copper tube and it can also function as a stand on smaller models.

This is why I just do a wall plug. So much easier....

I hear ya. And agree. Except in my case I was hoping to be able to mount mine on a clear acrylic rod. Something about the Star Destroyer looking like its just hovering there appeals to me. If I have to go with a brass or black rod so be it. But if I can pull off a clear rod or some other clear plate that is more hidden, that's what I'd like to do.

Bill

Until now I've waited, hoping that Bandai release their ISD, but after having built many of their kits, I'm beginning to wonder if the Bandai building design, based on joints without glue, which makes the inside of their kits very dense, do not end up making the installing of hundreds of fiber optics really problematic.
So, when Revell will release the reboxing of Zvezda ISD, I fear that I'll fall into serious temptation...

0.25mm fiber just arrived, so after a long pause on my build...deep breath...here we go! Still haven't quite solved the Tamiya Handy Drill issue of not being able to hold a #80 bit, but I'm getting closer! Piece of 3/8" brass plumbing...thingy...for a buck seventy at Home Depot is a perfect step between Dremel collets and the Tamiya shaft size. Now I've got to find a standard dremel collet that's just slits with no hole. Either that or figure out if a Dremel chuck will thread on the Tamiya spindle.

A few. There's no garbage chute on the back neck of the conning tower. The Bridge face is not bad, but not accurate. The Bridge tower is wider than the 8 footer and extends over the superstructure, rather than remain perpendicular to it. The angle of the bridge is inaccurate. The engine nozzles are not 100% and it is missing minute details in the trenches and superstructure.

But with a little love, and a few detailed aftermarket parts on Shapeways, it is the best retail commercial kit we ever had that comes close to the Avenger 8 footer.

I've seen a build thread somewhere with one of the 38" SSD's full of fibre optics, the guy had all the lights etc inside the ship, then ran a power cable down through the support post into a hollow base / display which had a switch and several other components installed in it.

Also, Revell USA have just announced the 1/2700 Star Destroyer will be released in their second / third quarter releases this year.

quick question... probably commented lot of times.

After watching again Rogue one i noticed something on the SD engines that is not on this zvezda model, and in any of the buids posted.

I'm talking about these engine lids:

orthobackbg2.jpg

Which i actually found pretty cool, they are from different version / movies?

quick question... probably commented lot of times.

After watching again Rogue one i noticed something on the SD engines that is not on this zvezda model, and in any of the buids posted.

I'm talking about these engine lids:

View attachment 720935

Which i actually found pretty cool, they are from different version / movies?

Yes, the Rouge 1 Stardestroyer is based on the 4ft model from ANH, just with a little extra detail. The kit is based on the 8ft version from TESB which has very different detailing.

Actually, the Rogue One Star Desrtroyer is an amalgam of the New Hope and Empire Destroyers. John Knoll talked about this in a video about the effects of Rogue One. It's an Idealized mix of both.

Actually, the Rogue One Star Desrtroyer is an amalgam of the New Hope and Empire Destroyers. John Knoll talked about this in a video about the effects of Rogue One. It's an Idealized mix of both.

Not really. The only thing they appear to have used the larger Sd for was the lighting. As the smaller one wasn't fully lit.

That's what John Knoll said but I don't see it. It has extra detail when seen up close but there's no resemblance to the 8ft model. It's an idealized version of the 4ft. It was very well done and I'm hoping that Bandai's eventual kit will be based on it, which would be a great way to set it apart from Zvezda's kit.

I know what he said but I also know what I see in the film, there are no 8ft details on it. The level or amount of detail is similar but different. I think that's what he meant, a level of detail that is expected when compared to the 8ft.

"A number of people noticed that we were matching the three foot model, and not the eight foot model."

"The three foot model was very sparsely detailed on the top. So what we ended up doing was a hybrid of the two where we matched the most important features of the three footer with some additional detail cribbed from the eight footer, and lights cribbed from the eight footer."

- John Knoll in that video

I think the latter bit is the main point. The original ANH ship hasn't got much up top at all as it was never shown from that angle. Or the starboard side, for that matter - there was a big pole stuck in the side.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back