New Spidey Trailer Tonight

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Supa troop, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A few lucky fans across the globe are currently enjoying a sneak peek at some footage from Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man, however the rest of... us will have to wait a little longer to see more from Spidey. Sony announced today that a new trailer for Marc Webb’s reboot will go online tomorrow or late tonight, at 3 AM EST/12 AM PST, so if you’ve got a hankerin’ for Peter Parker, plan on staying up late. The new trailer is two and a half minutes in length, and hopefully fans will get a good look at Rhys Ifans as villain Lizard......... Let us know if your one of the lucky ones..

2. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

Just got in from the London screening. OMG. Absolutely incredible!

3. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

More details please!

I actually got passes for the event but then realized it was in the middle of a Monday and I couldn't sneak out of work today :angry Dying to know what was shown!

4. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hopefully I won't feel like I'm playing Mirror's Edge this time.

5. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

Ok. It was done as a live event, with video feeds to each of the sites. Andrew Garfield was at NY, Emma Stone was in Rio, Marc Webb was in LA, and Rhys Ifans was at London. They did q and a's and showed the new trailer (which goes online at midnight PST) and then 8 minutes of 'scissor' reel. Some with unfinished effects but still cool. Lots of poignant sequences, loads of action. And plenty of spidey wit. I wasn't over on this film, mainly because I though a reboot was too soon, and didn't like the costume. But man, very hyped for this now.

6. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

The trailer was screened in 3D - I'm not a 3D fan but this is the best I've seen so far.

I honestly believe this could be THE defining Spiderman film.

7. third3ye

Awesome thanks for sharing!

8. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Did they show the lizard in it? If so was he the way they've prototyped him with the flat human like face?

9. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

holy hell this looks 10 times better than all the raimi films

10. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

11. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

looks good, I like the action scenes natural non-CGI look to them. Except of course Lizard. I think CGI Lizard is yucky. He looks like a Goomba [​IMG]

12. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Looks wicked but why couldn't they have given the lizard a snout.

13. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the first two Raimi movies quite a bit. This appears to have some of those same great moments, while giving us web shooters and Peter's first girlfriend Gwen Stacey (unlike whatever they were trying to do in the third). It also doesn't rehash things right away by going to the Goblin.

I'm liking the new cast and it's looking good.

While a reboot this soon of a successful film series does seem ridiculous, no one from the previous films was interested in doing them anymore. That became apparent in the last movie and was confirmed in the interviews that came afterward.

So... I'm not a huge fan of the shiny rubber suit. Is it possible that it was done that way not only to differentiate from the previous series, but to match up with the CGI which tends to give objects a more crisp, sharper look... making them often appear shiny? Or is it just a trend today with superheroes in an effort to distance themselves from tights?

14. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Sony just hit it hard on Raimi; Spidey 3 clearly has two movies in one, the one Raimi wanted to make with its accurate, romantic and sad villain ( Sandman ) and the Sony movie with the " let's sell more toys " trashed-away villain, Venom. Or, what it looks like to be around Venom. Not quite sure on this. ;)

No wonder then the cast was tired of it. There surely was a lot of off-screen battles with the studios execs.

As for the suit, a very small minority of people like it, judging by all the commentaries. I don't either : How, in the name of God, a teenager can build up such a suit ? And why making it so different than the normal suit ? Was it even necessary ?

Last, I saw the trailer. Well, my two cents : I'm not that hyped up, perhaps because I already saw a Spidey 1... Some stuff looks good anyway.

15. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Looks good. Hate the costume though, but at least it doesn't look as bad in motion as it does in stills. Also looks like they're rehashing Peter's inability to keep his mask on/intact from the Raimi films sadly.

Davlin, I was always under the impression that we have Avi Arad to blame for Venom in the third film. Though with the films that Marvel had more control over being of better quality that just feels wrong.

Goat, the comic-geek in me is compelled to point out that Gwen Stacy was Peter's second girlfriend, after Betty Brant :)

16. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

The actor playing Peter is a little too Team Edward for my tastes, but the action looks good. Let's hope all the good parts aren't in the trailer and the rest stinks.

17. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Wow!

I don't see why people complain about remakes and reboots. This looks outstanding!

18. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Man, I really, really really hope this is good. Glad to see the wit. I hope it is done right and not overdone. I'm very glad they have gone back to Spidey being wanted by the cops. Spidey's best books were in the late 60's and early 70's and he was pretty much always a wanted man. I hated in the Raimi movies where the public adored him. Just doesn't sit well.

As a life long spider-man fan I waited 37 years for the first movie. After a lifetime of waiting, ANYTHING seemed like gold on Christmas morning. But after the initial funshock wore off--I really began to see what was done SO wrong in those movies....IMHO almost everything was just--not right. I did like the suit better tho (except for the eyes, they were way off).

Really hope they get this one right...I can deal with the new suit if the movie is done well.

19. suckface

suckface Active Member

am I happy ? yes it looks great

they can reboot and remake as many films as they like it's a big world and their will always be a fan base for these characters so they will do it regardless because of the money they pull

I think after the last film pt 3 they had to do something different and start over

20. nlschutd

nlschutd Well-Known Member

i think the snout will grow lager during the movie in the trailer you also see him in different stages and he can became human again like in the comics. looks better then i thought

21. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

THat looks awesome.

Was it me or were spideys web shooters digital? It also sounded like they had one kind of warm-up sound effect when activated.

22. third3ye

I'm getting more and more sold, and I was EXTREMELY bearish on it when I saw the first trailer.

Good job Sony and Marvel, now let's hope the Lizard's design becomes more lizard-like throughout the movie.

23. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

This looks pretty awesome........

24. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those shooters are torturing me. Must have more reference!

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

This looks to be a much darker type of movie than the last ones and seems to have more from the current Spiderman storylines mixed in. I'll for sure get it when it's on dvd.

26. JD

JD Master Member

I'm not sold on this for a few reasons...

The new manufactured history of Parker's family, well... I know in the comics, Richard & Mary Parker were CIA agents. In the Ultimate Universe, Richard had some dealings with the creation of Venom before he died (and came back).

But, even that was pushing it.. why couldn't they just let poor old Pete just be Pete with no significant history with all this power and responsibility thrust upon him? That's just so Spider-Man of him...

I could get over big-haired-Pete, the guy sure is skinny enough... would it kill ya to throw some glasses on him? (All that said, all easy to overcome and overlook).

The costume is terrible, terrible, terrible. Thank god most of it appears to be hidden well enough. No sense discussing what's already been talked to death.

Doc Connors looks picture perfect - the Lizard? Not so much. The look of the Lizard just takes me so out of the movie that I question the whole design process and the movie makers - I want a movie to wrap me up in its world. Now this is a trailer - so there's some hope that the flick itself can still make it work.

Gwen Stacy? Thank you, may I have another? Perfect, perfect, perfect. Will they do the comic book ending?

Capt. Stacy - again, spot on.

The cons are definitely out weighing the pros for me. I think part of it is that it's still a bit too soon for a reboot. I know there's some love/hate for the Riami films... they didn't blow me away and I didn't think they sucked nearly as bad some seem to have talked about - I did think they did a more than adequate job... and Tobey was perfect for the most part.

27. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

ANYTHING, is better than what Raimi did to this Character......that said, THIS, looks good, liking the suit more, loving the way Spidey moves, slinky, wily, Toby, whathisface looked like a guy from fat fighter's, and dont get me started on his knock knees.

lee

28. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this looks great, I am very much looking forward to it.

29. JD

JD Master Member

What movie did you watch?

I'll admit what Riami did was far from perfect (Kirstin Dunst?) - but, thought we got a basic, dumbed-down, generic Spidey that we could expect from Hollywood. While it's far from my favorite superhero flick, I enjoyed it for what it was... good fun.

Tobey Maguire, while not the thin as a rail Parker/Spidey we got in the early comics, was still far from fat in the flick. ..and he sure looks better than Andrew Garfield with the his big hair, no glasses and so very NOT Peter Parker look... but, yeah... he's very thin ala the early Ditko Spider-Man.

I liked that they appear to be keeping Spider-Man's quick wit in this new version. I don't like that they seem to be darkening up Spider-Man ala Dark Knight/Batman Begins... that's so not Spider-Man.

But, again the costume looks terrible as does Garfield's Peter Parker. The alterations to Pete's origin - or Richard Parker's background - is just ridiculous and a just poor story telling (and so much worse than anything Raimi did... even that terrible attempt at Venom)... but, I'll try reserve total judgement until I see the film.

30. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Lol, opinions vary, i just cannot sit through the Raimi trash, weepy, depressing tripe, bad casting, no i cant go on, it makes me think of those awful movies

Lee

31. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Uhhhh. I saw him wearing glasses a few times in the trailer.

32. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I don't want to argue, but the story of spiderman has some pretty dark moments. Like........ Gwen stacy's death? That was messed up.

Yes, he is a very lighthearted character, but he has had his share of horrible experiences.

33. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

What is the film's take on this? I know in the Ultimate storyline, Pete's dad was a researcher who in part created the Venom symbiote (which was supposed to be a way to cure cancer, if my memory serves me correctly).

I DO love that the filmmakers are actually making Pete proactive with his smarts. Looks like he helped Connors create the regrowth serum for his arm.

34. JD

JD Master Member

Horrible experiences... yes. But, the whole trailer seemed pretty dark (ala Nolan's Batman) and not so lighthearted. Just seemed like they're going for that Nolan-thing which doesn't really feel like Spider-Man to me (and honestly, didn't feel like Batman, either).

35. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Dont get it, you'll kinda tread on this as a trailer, yet get all uptight defending the Raimi crud, full of depressing Teen angst, terrible acting, awful casting, and at times, moments to make me cringe into the folds of my chair?

lee

36. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

Looks good! Of course I said as well when I first saw Raimi's CGI Spidey swing from the buildings back in the day.

I am just not looking forward to yet a THIRD reboot of Spidey!

You know it is going to happen by the time the third or fourth movie in the second reboot when Parker dies!

[​IMG]

37. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wait...what? You thought he was fat? Holy crap, I have a 34 inch waist so to you I must look like a whale! :confused

38. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Nahhh, baby Porpoise :lol

Lee

39. JD

JD Master Member

I don't think I defended the Riami flick at all.

"I'll admit what Riami did was far from perfect (Kirstin Dunst?) - but, thought we got a basic, dumbed-down, generic Spidey that we could expect from Hollywood. While it's far from my favorite superhero flick, I enjoyed it for what it was... good fun." 'Dumbed down," and generic and even mentioning Kirstin Dunst (as I tried to allude to) are hardly defending it.

I don't understand why folks get all uptight on those flicks. I thought they were solid - I thought the casting, outside of Dunst was pretty good (ok, DaFoe overacted to the nth degree as well). It will never go down as a flick that was spectacular or be a shining example of a comic book movie - but, I thought it was good, mindless fun. Yeah, I can understand why folks didn't care for the third one especially -again, I guess I just didn't see it as all that bad - even emo-Peter and the Venom costume (which I understand they weren't going to stage Secret Wars to properly intro that look).

Plus, wasn't Spider-Man full of teenage angst anyhow? Pete's inferiorty complex, He struggles to help Aunt May, he's up against Flash Thompson, Uncle Ben dies and the guilt that came with that, his first love Gwen Stacey dies (and more guilt), Harry's drug problem, various other girl woes: MJ, Black Cat, Debbie Whitman, Betty Brant, etc, JJJ and struggling to work for the Bugle. Heck, Spidey's practically an emo poster child if you think about it.

You don't like what Raimi and comany did - that's cool, too. I'm just bascially saying it's adequate - nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I am basing my initial thoughts on this new flick on a trailer and the little bits and pieces I've seen so far.

Again, based on the preliminary things I've seen:
    I don't think Garfield looks like Peter Parker. I don't like the big hair.
    I think the costume is just absolutely terrible.
    I think the trailer looks a tad too Nolan-esque. Darker does not mean more realistic (and we're talking radioactive spiderbites and human lizards, folks).
    I like Sally Field - she just never seemed the Aunt May type.
    The Lizard - sigh, just looks plain old bad.

That said, Emma Stone and Denis Leary look spot on perfect. I love that Spidey's got the quick wit... and as much as I'd love to see Emma Stone in a sequel, I hope they give Gwen her proper ending.

I think I've said in this thread that I will see the flick and I hope I'm suprised by it.

40. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

What happened to Spidey in the previous films had NOTHING to do with Raimi. If you want to blame someone blame Avi Arrad - he pushed the whole Venom thing down Raimi's throat he also "solved" the problem of having Peter turn bad (something they felt was a road too traveled) and putting in the hole Morris Chavel Emo Peter - ugh.

41. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't understand why folks get so uptight over trailers. :lol ;)

42. JD

JD Master Member

That's just it... I'm not uptight about it. I'm not sold on this and I think I've pretty rationally explained why.

43. Hutch Evenings

Hutch Evenings New Member

Eh, I just want a spider-man movie that makes me feel like I just saw a spider-man story... I've been reading comics for years, and whenever I finish a really good spider-man story arc, I get a significant feeling; it's recognizable, and it makes me say to myself:

"Man... Now THAT was spider-man."

And I don't know why, but I've never felt that with any of the spider-man movies. I've never really felt like I was looking at spider-man... I felt like I was watching Toby Maguire cosplay as spider-man, while Willem Dafoe wanders onto the set in his Sunday best.

I wanna like this movie, I want to be wrong about the costume looking lame and bugging me throughout the flick, I want to be wrong about Peter's wit getting pushed to the way-side for angst and drama, and I really, really, really wanna be wrong, about Emma Stone annoying me the whole movie... (I can't stand her. I don't know why, but every time I see her in something, I cringe.)

I wanna be wrong, but I just don't think I'm gonna be.

But if I am... I am gonna be so very happy.

44. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whenever we set our expectations against something we grew up with and still enjoy (I.e. comics) we are usually gonna be disappointed when those things are presented in a different medium. I read and loved comics but I don't expect my movies or tv shows to be a direct translation of them. And I am seldom disappointed as a result. ;)

45. Hutch Evenings

Hutch Evenings New Member

Oh yeah, I get that. Believe me, I'm the first one one to defend different interpretations of a character. Like, I've spoken to a fair amount of people that didn't like The Dark Knight's Joker; But I was always the first one to bring up the fact that these comic characters have been portrayed in so many different ways, it's impossible to say that one is "Wrong" or "Bad"

But with the spider-man movies, I dunno, it's a different case... It's like I can barely recognize the characters at times. That's my problem with it; I don't mind change, I just don't like when there is so much change that I don't see the character I love anymore.

There should always be ties to the source material, no matter what you're adapting, be it a comic, a video-game, whatever... and when those ties are severed, well, the result kinda sucks.

46. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Agreed. I'm not sold it it either.

From the mechanical web shooters to the number of times I've lost count that Spider-Man was without his mask on....

The lizard looks neat, and the swinging action looks good, but that's it...

The guys most definitely doesn't seem like a Peter Parker to me.

47. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yeah, let me keep my identity secret with my mask off while a squadron of cops has their weapons drawn:facepalm.

That hair is out of control.

How much non-organic webshooter can I hold? Enough for a two hour movie!:cool

48. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Not a fan at all of the new comic. Anyway, I don't think this is looking too bad at all. And as Funky said, there is no waaaaay Tobi was fat in the Raimi films. And I thought it was pretty clear, the abomination that was S3 was largely the studio's fault. Raimi did not want it to go down that way at all.