New RPF Sites Issues - CLOSED (please search for or start a thread for new issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac OS X 10.8.3, Safari 6.04.

Got an interesting error when trying to use the Add to the Conversation posting feature:

error1.png

Got an error message that was a bit confusing, in that the page refresh triggered the browser's built-in warning about leaving the page and losing any content I'd entered into the form. Canceling it returned me to the page, but upon subsequent confirmation of "Post Reply" and approving the leaving of the page, it appeared to double-quote my reply:

error2.png

Edit: Which didn't appear to happen when I posted to this thread so might have been just a one-time glitch. I'll try some other browsers during my posting today to see if it repeats.

Mac OS X 10.8.3, Safari 6.04.

Got an interesting error when trying to use the Add to the Conversation posting feature:

error1.png

Got an error message that was a bit confusing, in that the page refresh triggered the browser's built-in warning about leaving the page and losing any content I'd entered into the form. Canceling it returned me to the page, but upon subsequent confirmation of "Post Reply" and approving the leaving of the page, it appeared to double-quote my reply:

error2.png

Edit: Which didn't appear to happen when I posted to this thread so might have been just a one-time glitch. I'll try some other browsers during my posting today to see if it repeats.

You aren't the only one. I get it too, and I'm on Win7/Chrome

A wierd question, with the grey does nayone find themselves blinking more? I think my eyes keep trying to refocus :D

Definitely an issue we need to address as there shouldn't be any gradients there at all!

I'm on IE8, and the home page has a few issues for me. The Dredd graphic is a little garbled on the right hand side, and the gradient on the Replica Movie Props forum makes it hard to read.

View attachment 174885

I'm having almost the same problem with the gradient in the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of the page as I type this. The dark text on light background toward the top/left is readable, but the light text on dark background toward the bottom/right is not as readable.

View attachment 174884

edit:
Actually, now that I look at the home page again, the first subforum in each section has that gradient, as does the list of who is online. It's really hard to read.

View attachment 174886

Finally, I noticed an "Error on page" at the bottom left of my browser window so I tried compatibility view. That makes the gradients go away but the Dredd thing still looks messed up. Compatability view does not change the gradient in the "Similar Threads" box.

Noticing when typing a reply in either a quick reply or advanced reply, if you click on the emoticons (the absolute WORST transformers ever, imho) it stalls the browser out for a good 15-20 seconds while it loads the tiny image.

Also, seems to take a while to switch between the forums, like going from the replica props section to the junkyard or from the costume to the off topic area.

Other than that, everything seems to be flowing along pretty smoothly.

Chris

Dazed and confused, I am new here and can't get on very often, but everything is so changed and so confusing since a few days ago when I joined up. Getting data errors most of the time when I click on a catagory and search doesn't seem to be working and the advertisements are so large.

What does craft your fandom mean? At first glance I thought it said something about condoms and that I was on the wrong forum.
I'll check back in some later day and hope things get unwonkied.
Dan

The height of the featured area is dictated by the ad (you have blocked) beside it.

Regardless of ad blocking which isn't done for the rpf (and they're not blocked here at work), it's because of other sites, look at that image. That's a essentialy a full HD screen and 70% is taken up by the header of the page. Do you honestly think that is the way to go? Imagine a poor sole on a 1366X768 laptop, more than a a full screen's worth of real estate is taken up by the header alone.

As a suggestion, eliminate the ad from that part of the header, and put it inline with the rest below. Stretch the number of topics per page if necessary to balance it out and have the banner thinner but stretching across the whole page.

I realize you worked extremely hard on this and speaking for me at least, there's quite a lot I like about the change, and these are not bashing but honest feedback.

Leaving things as they aren't isn't going to drive me away, but it will make day to day usage more difficult.

Based on the versions I've seen and used, therpf has never been concerned about the massive amount of stuff above the actual forum content. It takes real restraint to keep it at a minimum on any website.

Hey, Art. Just had an idea about the site resolution problem I have with the 1024x786. Can you put the post author's name on top of each post by the "2 Hours Ago." That we those of us with older monitors at least don't have to scroll back and forth all the time just to read each post and see who is actually saying what.

Dazed and confused, I am new here and can't get on very often, but everything is so changed and so confusing since a few days ago when I joined up. Getting data errors most of the time when I click on a catagory and search doesn't seem to be working and the advertisements are so large.

What does craft your fandom mean? At first glance I thought it said something about condoms and that I was on the wrong forum.
I'll check back in some later day and hope things get unwonkied.
Dan

[Insert rolling emoticon]

:lol

OK, more complaining now, very sorry, but please humor me.

I have been staring at computer monitors pretty much non stop for the past 13 years, and I have never understood what people meant when they complained about eye strain.

Now I do.

Whenever I'm logged in here, I find myself rubbing my burning eyes until I get a headache and have to log off. I only experience this here, as I can hop over to facebook etc. and give my eyes a rest.

I cannot pinpoint the exact change(s) that are causing my discomfort, but I suspect it's the low contrast color scheme.

Am I alone with this?

Based on the versions I've seen and used, therpf has never been concerned about the massive amount of stuff above the actual forum content. It takes real restraint to keep it at a minimum on any website.

It should EASILY be able to kept under 1/2 of the vertical of a 1920x1200 screen. No giant ad and giant 'check out these different areas' box at the top and voila, you're there. It's just this thread page - If it scroll up to the top, those things aren't there and the header area take up all of 15ish percent of the top of the page. It works much better. Going to rebelscum i see the main page and main forum page has maybe 5-10% of the screen taken up by header with the rest being the actual forum itself. It works very well.

Anyone else have the issue of everything going blurry while the pictures change up top? Maybe it was already discussed in this thread but I don't want to read 20 pages to see.
Basically, if I sit on a page, and the pictures change and cycle through at the top, all the lettering on the page gets fuzzy or blurry for a second or two. Once the picture has fully changed, the lettering becomes clear. Then the photo changes again and it all blurs until the next picture has fully loaded.

Am I the only one seeing that?

When posting things like that ^^, it would probably be more helpful to tell them what OS and browser you're using.

FWIW, i don't see the problem on win8/current FF.

We could always pile up a massive amount of stuff on both sides of the page... ;)

Having a difficult time deleting private messages. The menu vanishes as I roll over it. Weird.

Edit: It will stay still every other time I actually click on it.

-Rylo

Last edited:
...Got an error message that was a bit confusing, in that the page refresh triggered the browser's built-in warning about leaving the page and losing any content I'd entered into the form. Canceling it returned me to the page, but upon subsequent confirmation of "Post Reply" and approving the leaving of the page, it appeared to double-quote my reply...
Except for the double-quote, this has happened to me as well.

Also, the time it takes to post, whether it's a new reply or an edit to a previous post, varies greatly--sometimes it takes only a moment, other times it takes up to 20-30 seconds.

Another intermittent problem occurs when I click on "Post Reply" or "Save Changes"; my browser freezes, and when I try to click on either function a second time I get an error message that states, "therpf.com is not responding" and I have to reload the page.

BTW, those all happened while browsing using Internet Explorer 9. I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox 20.0.1 and none of the above have happened yet; we'll see what happens when I try to post this.

Seems like most of the issues have been fixed. My screen is white with black text, the way I prefer.

My only 2 gripes were: Doesn't fit my screen (isn't going to get fixed) and the HUGE FREAKING banners at the top of every page (also not going to change) so no worries.

For the record, I think the huge new content banner should only be on the home page, not every page except the Thread page you're in. But whatever, I'll get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back