New RPF Sites Issues - CLOSED (please search for or start a thread for new issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone mentioned it before but sometimes when i hit reply to post in a thread it wants me to leave the page before it'll post. It doesn't happen all the time though.

"Manage Attachments" doesn't seem to work correctly when posting a reply to threads. It shows pics I've uploaded previously, and there is no browse function that I can see.

It took me a while to find that, but at the top right there is an add files button. That allows you to browse your computer to select the file.

----------------------

I am having a problem with the manage attachments window being a pop-under. When I click manage attachments it opens and then goes behind the main window.

Firefox 20.0.1/Windows 7 Pro

I tested it and that does not seem to occur when editing a post, only during the initial post.

Edit 2: I can not seem to replicate it right now, but it has happened twice.

Edit 3: I was able to replicate it on a browser restart
RPF>Site & Support News>Open link in new tab (New RPF Sites Issues)>Scroll to bottom>Go to Advanced Reply>Manage Attachments

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with the new look...my only beef is some of the "clickables" are rather faint and hard to see against the kinda dark grey background......case in point, the page numbers on this thread or other texts to click on. Perhaps make them more "whiter" or perhaps circle them so they look more like a button. I have a 24" HD screen so I know it isn't my eyes.

Re: How I Use Post Titles.

Purely out of curiosity, how did you use the thread title above each post?

Sorry for the long delay in answering you, Mr. Andrews, I'm just getting back to the site now.

I personally used the post titles for a multi-post tutorial, where the different phases of the tutorial are broken into sections, in order to increase legibility of long tutorials, and to aid in understanding of complex procedures. Think of the posts being treated like blog postings, with the overall theme of the thread being one thing (e.g. an Iron Man Costume), but each Post has an individual title (e.g. Making the Helmet, Making the Chest Plate, Boots, etc.), to aid in navigation and comprehension.

I have also used them for responding to complex threads like this one, where you can target the response; like if this post had the title visible I would use "Re: How I Use Post Titles."

Like I said, I understand the reasoning behind the decision to remove them, I just believe that they do have a function, albeit used by only a few people.

If its a question of minimising space, perhaps the title could be placed on the same line/ header, in between 'x minutes ago' and the post number.

I like Mr. Castillo's idea of putting it between the timestamp and post number, but that may add clutter.

Your call, of course.

Please remove the coupon ads, I can deal with floating ads in my peripheral vision, but I can't stand ads that sneak their way into a post pretending to be links.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but searching by user does not return current posts.

I am using windows/ Chrome and everything has to be scrolled over to the right to read it. My resolution is 1024 * 768 which i think is pretty standard. TDH doesnt have this issue. That's the only thing that's really bugging me. Keep up the good work.

I don't know if this is normal for everyone but after the new formatting I tried to answer a private message and after clicking on "submit reply" I got no indication that the message was sent.:confused ps: the retro black, white , and all around grey are to die for....if you're in the mood for a funeral....kind of like giving up hi-def and color for my old tube tv.....yay.:thumbsdown

Last edited:
You can thank Alan Castillo for that. We initially had them monochrome and he demanded color versions. They are considerably desaturated from the previous versions, but we feel that they bring just enough pop to be noticable.

There goes Art being diplomatic again
lol.gif

It's not 'demanded' .... its more like "stamped his feet, threw himself on the ground, screamed and had a fit, so I shut him up"
lol.gif

And like a good diplomat, once I dried my eyes & zipped it, he now, one by one (in the hope I won't notice
lol.gif
, tones down the emoticons once again to a darker shade of yellow.

:) - Bad colour

:facepalm - Nice colour

Boo to the darker yellow !

Death to this guy .......... :lol

Long live this one ..........
lol.gif

And this one .. :darnkids ... looks sexier in red ....
darnkids.png

lol.gif

The board is being invaded by spam accounts. They're already overrunning the Prop Replica section.

Is the Quick Reply window smaller than it was? Might be a subjective impression.

Like I said, I understand the reasoning behind the decision to remove them, I just believe that they do have a function, albeit used by only a few people.

Interesting approach, never saw that done. They were also useful when threads were merged - Art, will there be some kind of flagging for this in future, to prevent confusion?

The board is being invaded by spam accounts. They're already overrunning the Prop Replica section.

Weird!!! :confused

I'd like to point out one quick cosmetic issue; hover your mouse over the little curved arrow next to "Add to the Conversation" at the top of the Quick Reply. The hover caption shows the <b> </b> tags.

Also, the "Advanced Search" screen no longer has a security question (e.g. "What is the third word in this sentence?"). This may be intentional, but I thought I would mention it.

I know what it takes to transition a forum, and you guys are doing a bang up job.

I am using windows/ Chrome and everything has to be scrolled over to the right to read it. My resolution is 1024 * 768 which i think is pretty standard. TDH doesnt have this issue. That's the only thing that's really bugging me. Keep up the good work.

Unfortunately, 1280X1024 has replaced 1024X768 as the most common resolution and we designed the new layout with 1280 in mind. The debate over whether to design for 1024 or 1280 has been raging since about 2009, and up until about a year ago, there was a plausible argument for designing for 1024. What we are beginning to see now, due to mobile devices is "responsive" designs which work with virtually any resolution. Unfortunately, vBulletin isn't optimized for a responsive design and it will take a tremendous amount of custom work to create a truly responsive forum experience.

So, we are reaching the end of the first day of making tweaks to the upgrade. I think we have addressed most of the worst problems, but we still have a lot of work to do and a lot of additional contrast tweaks to make.

We still have a whole list of issues to address and it is simply going to take time, so we appreciate your continued patience!

I like the randomly changing movie pictures at the top of the forum, but I feel I've got to make a post here about the background color. The grey reduces contrast with the text, and I find reading posts strains my eyes quickly now. (I used to have it on the light color scheme with the blue accents). Please please please offer some optional color schemes.

--Sorry if this has already been covered--

No I didn't...mostly because I can't! :lol

Not seeing any grabbable section in this window. Apologies in advance if I'm being more than ordinarily thick! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back