New found respect for fibreglassers

Re: New found respect

could you explain what foam you use?

It is usually called EVA foam. You can get them from KMart, Wal-Mart of most automotive stores. I've used fiberglassed for 2 years and I feel your pain. That's why I am switching to foam.

I started a YouTube channel showing my hobby. My first video was how to use foam to make costume. Trust me. After using foam, you will never go back to fiberglass. The only time I will use fiberglass is on the helmet. I plan to post another video on some of the foam pieces I completed for my son's Master Chief MK VI this week.

CoolCostume's Channel - YouTube

its a glue that is in a spray paint can. It's widely available (Home Depot, etc..), usually made by 3M. There are a few different grades (level of hold/thickness).

Just to elaborate, the glue is used to hold the fiberglass in place so you can apply resin. Works really well. I used this method to fiberglass my Iron Man helmet.

Not sure how long to wait between applying cloth to adding resin...any suggestions?

I cut all fiberglass in strips and apply the entire helmet at the same time. Everything was sprayed with glue to be sure. I use the craft glue I bought from Wal-Mart. You can apply resin immediately. All I did was just do it once.

Hey, ive been taught that same technique for fibgerglassing and have had great results with it. The only difference is that ive been taught to use bondo for the skin to pick up all the detail. Have you used that before? Im curious how the gel coat is compared to it. What brand do you use? Thanks.

for molds for silcione masks i order a clear gelcoat they use on boats. most boat places either carry it or know who do.
if i am doing an armor parts i use the white gelcoat.

i order mine online. it is not cheap but goes along way.
here is the stuff i use. for laying the fiberglass i use the bondo brand resin and mesh from the local automotive store.

Clear Gel Coat : Resins : Epoxy Resins : Polyester : Gel Coats : Vinyl Ester : Harderner : Tooling Gel Coat : Styrene : MEKP

its a glue that is in a spray paint can. It's widely available (Home Depot, etc..), usually made by 3M. There are a few different grades (level of hold/thickness).

Okay. Any tutorials or pictures of end result using this particular method? I'm always interested in alternative building methods.

its not really alternatively
spray glue, get your fibreglass into place, let the glue dry, and then resin over the fibreglass. this way your fibreglass wont come loose or peel in the process, because its glued to the surface

^ What he said. I would think it'd also save materials as you can focus on just applying the resin and not have to stop to place the cloth and possibly have the resin harden before you can use it all. Not that I've ever done that. Thanks for the tip! *takes notes*

its not really alternatively
spray glue, get your fibreglass into place, let the glue dry, and then resin over the fibreglass. this way your fibreglass wont come loose or peel in the process, because its glued to the surface

Hey there!

This sounds very interesting and extremely logical to do! - Only question I have (To save any unfortunate mishaps) :

How does PEP pieces hold up against the glue? Do they tend to warp from the adhesive?
Also, have you applied the glue and mat to entire piece, or just sections of larger pieces at a time, effectively working slowly.
eg, for a chest PIece, Im assuming only a little part should have glued mat at a time, otherwise the piece will collapse?

you first coat the outside with resin obviously. that way, its allready stable.

then you spray the glue on the inside, and then put in the fibre glass cloth. allways spray a part, then put the mat on it, and so on
fibreglassing takes forever. you dont insert the whole mat, only small pieces.

you first coat the outside with resin obviously. that way, its allready stable.

then you spray the glue on the inside, and then put in the fibre glass cloth. allways spray a part, then put the mat on it, and so on
fibreglassing takes forever. you dont insert the whole mat, only small pieces.

Ahhhh. Wasnt sure if you were just gluing the mat in then going for it, or reinforcing the outside first then applying it.

Well once the outside is painted its definitely strong enough to take an entire internal coat of glued mat before resin.

Thanks mate!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back