New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Ok I was thinking about something today. How did the great intelligence take Strax and Jenny and the lizard lady (can't remember her name) through time and space to get to the Doctors tomb?

Vortex Manipulator?

Or maybe the whole episode took place in some sort of meta-physical dream-like state, similar to the episode with Rory and Amy, and none of it was real. It would explain why there wasn't a future incarnation of The Doctor running around...

Hey....what if they are lying to us about Eccleston's participation? Maybe he will be in it and they used the hype over Tennant to draw attention away from another secret cameo?

Also, as we've noticed this season, the Doctor's sonic has been acting up. My prediction is that it fails him somehow in the 50th, and 10th has to loan him his - thus, 11 eventually gives it to River which leads to her having it for Silence in the Library.

Hey....what if they are lying to us about Eccleston's participation? Maybe he will be in it and they used the hype over Tennant to draw attention away from another secret cameo?

Also, as we've noticed this season, the Doctor's sonic has been acting up. My prediction is that it fails him somehow in the 50th, and 10th has to loan him his - thus, 11 eventually gives it to River which leads to her having it for Silence in the Library.

Well, despite his confusion over the red setting, maybe the sonic he gives her is the Hurt sonic.

Would make more sense considering it's similarity to the Eccleston/Tenant version.

Bit unlikely though.

I would love for this to be true. I do think there are 50th ep secrets they are successfully keeping in the vault.

In the footage they released of Tennant/Smith jabbering away they do mention "that other guy we can't mention". Doesn't seem like they are talking about Hurt but they could be.

Still hoping they sneak McGann in there.

Vortex Manipulator?

Or maybe the whole episode took place in some sort of meta-physical dream-like state, similar to the episode with Rory and Amy, and none of it was real. It would explain why there wasn't a future incarnation of The Doctor running around...

Further adding to this theory:

- The Giant Tardis makes no sense. Number 9 told Rose to let the Tardis gather dust and quietly die forgotten in some corner. If true, wouldn't people start to notice a Tardis growing and taking out entire city blocks? I think, rather, the Tardis is a stand-in for The Doctor's ego.

- River Song's Goodbye. Instead of it being the "real" River, it's a representation of his way of saying Goodbye. His line about no one being able to see River and it looks weird on the outside is telling.

The "Great Intelligence" and Hurt's Doctor are one-in-the-same.

Yeah, what was the deal with River Song? She was there but as a mental projection of her "saved" self in the Library computer.

How was she projecting herself?

Yeah, what was the deal with River Song? She was there but as a mental projection of her "saved" self in the Library computer.

How was she projecting herself?

Thanks to being saved in the library computer, she was technically already unconscious and can join dream meetings whenever she feels like it. Vastra invited her, and when the meeting went to hell in a hurry River simply transferred the connection line from Vastra to Clara. She stayed connected to Clara throughout the episode, which is how the Doctor figured out that Clara didn't die when she jumped into his time stream.

". . . The Giant Tardis makes no sense. Number 9 told Rose to let the Tardis gather dust and quietly die forgotten in some corner. . . ."

You're right that the giant TARDIS doesn't make sense. If it's dying, why would the bigger on the inside slowly expand the chameleon image instead of the chameleon image giving out with the rest of it? Why would it lose its "bigger on the inside" in an orderly fashion instead of catastrophically? (insert any other logical "etc." questions here) None of what they did with that element makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, a lot of the 11th has the same kind of thoughtlessly sloppy writing. River being able to pilot the TARDIS better - tossed in for humor and retconned later with a band-aid, the doctor acting like a 10 year old when exposed to River as a woman - completely ignoring that he's over 900 years old and has at least one grandchild, etc.

The last few episodes were an improvement on Clara's first few episodes, but the writing hasn't been as strong under Moffat as it was under RTD. All that said, still enjoying the series and looking forward to November.

How big is the TARDIS?.. one room is big enough to hold a full size Star!!!

I rewatched this episode and found a few things....

The giant TARDIS.... The Doctor says that when a TARDIS is dieing sometimes the dimensional stabilizers break down.
This future TARDIS may have been damaged in the fight that killed the doctor.

Note: There is one broken window exactly like the one that occoured when the TARDIS crashed in the episode.

The thing people seem to have missed is.... if this is a future Doctor's TARDIS, why is the console room the 11th Doctor's version?
Is this meant to hint that the 11th is the last doctor, and that the battle coming up is the end.....

This post is not pointed at anyone in particular, but I think some people need to go back and read all 149 pages of this thread.

Some of the same people that are complaining about Moffat now and singing the praises of RTD had a lot issues with RTD's writing. No one ever seems to be happy with what they have and always think what went before was better. Kind of like people thinking the 1950's were a golden age unless you actually lived through them.

This post is not pointed at anyone in particular, but I think some people need to go back and read all 149 pages of this thread.

Some of the same people that are complaining about Moffat now and singing the praises of RTD had a lot issues with RTD's writing. No one ever seems to be happy with what they have and always think what went before was better. Kind of like people thinking the 1950's were a golden age unless you actually lived through them.

Normally I'd agree with that, but watching the "filler" episodes of RTD's run doesn't cause as much pain as watching Moffat's season 7 fillers. (Not that I was the one who that was pointed at.)

Normally I'd agree with that, but watching the "filler" episodes of RTD's run doesn't cause as much pain as watching Moffat's season 7 fillers. (Not that I was the one who that was pointed at.)

Moffat and Matt Smith were my first Doctor Who since the 1980's with Tom Baker. I always thought he was great as the Doctor, which he was, but when I watched a series of his recently, I did a lot of cringing. I think people tend to think the first Doctor they saw is the best one and nothing anyone else does will ever compare. I did go back and watch all of Doctor Who from the beginning of the re-boot over the last couple of months and have enjoyed 95% of them.

One thing I find very funny though, is when people complain about something not being believable in an episode of a science fiction/fantasy show about a Time Travelling alien that is over 900 years old who changes his appearance whenever the actor leaves the show.

Last edited:
The giant TARDIS.... The Doctor says that when a TARDIS is dieing sometimes the dimensional stabilizers break down.
This future TARDIS may have been damaged in the fight that killed the doctor.

Note: There is one broken window exactly like the one that occoured when the TARDIS crashed in the episode.

The thing people seem to have missed is.... if this is a future Doctor's TARDIS, why is the console room the 11th Doctor's version?
Is this meant to hint that the 11th is the last doctor, and that the battle coming up is the end.....

All good points - pointing to it being all a dream/delusion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back