Never Ending Story The Book

Hello Everyone. I've enjoyed looking through this thread - and I can appreciate your efforts! Ever since the ridiculous (in my opinion) confirmed news of the re-make - - I've rekindled a bit of the fire I once held so dear in the Original Book that I personally own. I've had it behind glass in a display case for years and am just now thinking of seriously selling it. I was actually going to see what you all, being fellow Neverending Story fans thought. I'm not sure to sell before the re-make is released - or during it's final stages of production - or post-release. I have numerous pictures of my book and flawless authentication for all of you skeptics out there ;). (Don't worry - I would be extremely skeptical if one came out claiming the same large claims.) I've studied many details of my book such as finding the minimal differences between that of the First NES Book Prop vs NES II's Book Prop. Most, I estimate maybe 95%, would never decipher a single difference in the two different books, especially that being the binding (including the cover with the ornate corners) is exactly the same and quite possibly the only binding used in both movies. Why different pages would have been added - and why there may have been more than 1 book prop used boggles my mind - although it appears this is exactly what happened. At any rate - hope to hear from you. If I do list, it will be on eBay of course and I'll make sure you all know. This has always been one of my most prized possessions and I will say that having handled it for many years, one will never come close to replicating it. (Especially the pages within being specific to a prop-book and not by any means a complete story from page 1 to the final page.) Thanks guys, looking forward to your thoughts!

Wow!!! well first of can I just say - Can we see it???? We would all love some pics here. and if a ruler or dollar bill happens to be laying next to it well...

All joking aside we would love a photo or two of the book. and as for when to sell it that is a toughy. Honestly it is a gamble. If you sell before or just before the release of the new movie (don't get me started on this) you are going to most likely sell it to a true fan for the price it is worth to a true fan plus maybe a bit more due to the excitement. After the release it depends on how good the movie is (hopes are not high here) but you will probably find more interest. If the movie does not do well then I dont think you will get as much for it but if it does well then well you never know.

Hey there - thanks for the reply. Yes I'll be sure to post more pics at the time I go to list it if I indeed end up selling it. Thanks for your thoughts on when to sell - I agree it's really a gamble. If for some strange reason, a new generation is as captivated by the re-make as we all were/are by the Original, then I'm afraid the sting of the Original may be lost..I for one, of course, will never be swayed by any attempt to re-make one of the Best movies ever made. So anyways, I feel maybe before the release is best.

If you would be willing to share some pictures, we'd all appreciate it.
Also, many have been wondering as to the color of the binding and what material it is made of, so hopefully you could shed some light on that.
Thanks!

Hey Vash - to be honest with you and the rest, the only reason I've debated posting more pics and more info. is that I (somewhat selfishly) do not want a replica made before I sell it. I know that sounds arrogant and I apologize, but again this has been my pride and joy having been raised on NES and the pride I've had in this treasure over the years - is simply unfathomable for most. So in the event I go to sell it - I may get too much rhetoric from many people that it's a fraud and was 'built.' I think I can safely post pics of the inner lining pattern as I'm pretty sure that will be nearly impossible to replicate and I'm sure the Empress color page seen in the book in NES II is also impossible to replicate. So pretty confident there that will be fine. The book cover is most definitely leather and is a lighter brown/tan as seen in the photo. It's actually fairly heavy and as I said before, being a prop book; there are only 4 unique different pages and it simply repeats the same 4 pages until the end of the book. The book auryn on I differs from II but the binding and the book itself - at least based on my studies and countless reviews - appears to be exact. So I still wonder why there may have been more than 1 book props used since the pages inside are different between I and II. Another anomaly is the ornate metal decor(s) on the 4 corners of the front. These are a guaranteed perfect match to that of the book in I (same in II also) which is why I believe the binding from I may have been salvaged and used in II. Any rate, I'm rambling but this is quite a piece of memorabilia to me and will always remain in my possession unless I'm offered a very good (Very Good) amount for it. Thanks and keep in touch. PS- the page edges in I are also rough whereas the page edges in II are smooth or smoother.

Sorry - but as far as how I came in to the book will only be posted when/if I sell. The material I have that comes with the book is impeccable and pure evidence - there are no issues there but I prefer to withhold from posting that now. Thanks.

Last edited:
I may soon. In this day and age - If I were to hand the book to the right person, I'm sure I could get an exact replica. So I'll share pics. of things I really don't think can be perfectly replicated - such as what I listed in a prior post. I mainly wanted to see what you guys thought about the idea of selling it before or after the re-make release and if anyone knew of why the differences in the book between I and II.
Thanks.

Still would love it if someone would proceed with what we know to just produce a blank journal. I would be ALL over that.

Spirit, thanks for the post and congrads on an excellent piece!

I found similar storage "Books" at Michael's Art store they could be easily repainted and Modified to look like "the Neverending Story" Book and be used as Storage...

They look like this:
project+box1.jpg

I'm still pretty new to the forum and there are a lot of threads to see, still not sure I've found the best way to get around as yet.... Anyway I have only read the beginning and end of this thread, but I have worked on similar projects in the past, the pix I'll post is of one of them, it is actualy a storage box made to look like a book, I'v made a lot of these for people to keep thier wedding suff, photo album, classes, candles and keepsakes.. ect.. but I have also made smaller versions as diaries.... So if any want's some help or tip's let know.....

I've missed this topic. When I first joined the RPF, this was the thread that got me started. As others have stated, I'd be happy to have a blank version of the book. Vash has the corners and the Auryn.

Hey there - joined the forum, just for this thread. Also a big NES fan - though of the 1st and the book, not of the 2nd film. I've gone through the thread and I don't think this was ever addressed - has any thought been given to the Auryn on the cover? Not the shape, but if the item itself was going to be attached/fixed to the cover permanently or if it would be removable. If you look back at the attached screenshots in post #70 - the leather around/under the Auryn's location on the cover seems to have been tailored to the curves of the Auryn, so that the Auryn sits in a fixed position and doesn't wiggle around once it's been attached to the cover. However, there's no signs of any "attaching" mechanism - nothing physical like a latch or locking device, and nothing chemical like glue, etc. Started thinking about this.....IF you were to make the Auryn removable, you could do this by means of installing a magnet.

My thinking is as follows - the book cover is leather, and it's already been discussed that this will be put over a chipboard covered copy of the blank book, so what's to stop the insertion of a thin metal sheet that'll be affixed to the chipboard and lay between the chipboard and the embossed leather cover? As long as the sheet is sufficiently attached to the chipboard and remains stationary between the leather and the chipboard, it won't slide around and possibly cut/puncture the edge of the leather cover.

As for the attachment bit - I'm thinking that it might be possible to insert two small magnets into the largest/thickest part of the Auryn, the heads of the snakes (casting the heads with openings in the bottom and then resealing them after the casting has cooled and the magnets inserted? I'm not a techie, folks - just an idea guy :unsure). As for the Auryn itself - once again, I don't think I saw any mention of this, but supposedly according to the book (and posted on Wikipedia) the Auryn has an inscription on the back that says "Do what you Wish".....so this leads me to believe that the Auryn has a flat/non-decorated back on which this is inscribed...so it'd have a flat back which would lay against the book, and the upper half (the part showing would be decorated), and it'd be held in place by magnets acting on the metallic sheet layered between the leather and chipboard, and working with the embossed leather that'd keep it from moving around once it's in the leather "socket".

So....yeah. *shrugs* Just a thought :D

Gotta say, if the people who were planning to make them were still up for doing so, I'd love to get behind the project any way I can! I'd love one myself!

This project is a long time coming. I'm sure we will see it happen eventually, but it's going to take a serious commitment from the right people.

NES2.jpg

I've always wanted my own replica of the book and I've just finished making my own. Its not screen accurate but close enough for me! :)

What do you guys think?

P.S. This was my first attempt at cold casting.

NES5.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back