Need help fixing a EFX CAPTAIN AMERICA SHIELD (rivets)

chewi

B5D4CD96-EBDA-4E4C-8AC7-FA6F24133848.jpeg Hello, need help to identify the rivets that are on the EFX captain america shield. One is missing, it is the one on the hinge that holds the straps together on the upper side of the strap where you are suppose to put your hand. And i imagine it is like identifying a screw which is a bit of a can of worms for me. Can someone help? Can i put a new one in the hole? Should i use locktite? Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 5730B5B9-B6DD-4C7A-92AA-6283A58B8724.jpeg
    5730B5B9-B6DD-4C7A-92AA-6283A58B8724.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 5E26BA65-7126-4819-8E00-801F24242D15.png
    5E26BA65-7126-4819-8E00-801F24242D15.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 303
  • A9AE8E3C-5ACD-4BC6-8D63-61FC9AD8D6A1.jpeg
    A9AE8E3C-5ACD-4BC6-8D63-61FC9AD8D6A1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 400
do you have a circle template?

That will prolly give you the exact hole size. I would use that to measure the diameter of the screw/rivet, then just get a drill bit and hollow out a screw.

In rivets, there is not real complexity like finding a machine screw thread pitch, the rivet is only defined by diameter and length, (other than head diameter) information that should be determinable with a fine scaled ruler. If it made overseas, then it may (likely) metric.

I am a little confused by the term "rivet" because if it were a rivet, it would need to be secured through both sides of the material, which looks to be already secured to the shields front. A blind or "Pop" rivet, can be secured from one side only (hence the name "blind rivet") but the other rivets I can see in the picture do not look to be blind rivets. But it is difficult to see what the other fasteners securing the strap mounts are from the pictures.
If it is indeed a rivet then there are a couple of issues.

If it is a not blind rivet, then it cannot be replaced without removing the entire strip it's mounted too from the front of the shield, which look like it would be impossible at this point (or at east without extreme risk of damaging the prop)
If it is a blind rivet, then it may be possible to replace from the back side only, but blind rivets need some extra space behind them for the internal mandrel to go, before the rivet is pulled in tight. This space may no longer be there because the strip is now mounted to the shield front. Blind rivets in soft materials also need a washer on the back side to keep them from just pushing the soft material out of the way when being set.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back