neat Padd type photo viewer

Checked my local Wal-Mart again. Fewer on the shelf, but still priced at $29. If the price drops sub-$20, would more folks want me to pick them up? Add $10-$15 for packing, shipping, etc.

I was able to get one on ebay for about $15 with shipping and I know there were some more that went closer to $10, so keep your eyes out.

Okay, well they're still $29 at my local Walmart. I tried the next two closest stores, and they don't have any at all. As I said, I'll keep my eyes open...

In the meantime, I've begun my mod. I was just going to mask off the screen and paint the body of the thing, but I figured I'd get a better paint job if I crack it open. So I did. Not too tough-- two screws (hidden under caps) on the back, and the rest are just tabs. I removed the electronics, and painted the body a matte nickel color. The directional button in the center is now a metallic black.

I thought about doing some cutouts in the body (and inserting faux buttons/controls from underneath), but the electronics on the inside are so close to the surface of the body that it would be hard to fit anything in there. Also, the optimal placement for the cutouts (the bottom) is where the screws attach to keep the electronics in place (in the inside) and keep the body together (outside), so I'd be messing with the structure of things, as it were. I'm just not that adventurous at this moment. I'm sure someone else can do it, tho... if there's one thing I've learned from the members of this forum, it's that nothing is out of the realm of possibility!

In any case, here's the painted piece with some LCARS images on the screen. I obviously haven't added any other embellishment on the outside; I'm still making up my mind about decals or faux buttons and all that good stuff. (It's looking a bit too iPod-ish to me without any Trek-type decals, etc.!) I just thought I'd show it in progress...

PADD2_nolabels_lg.jpg

glad everyone is diggin these... I personally am finding it to much of use for my photography purposes to alter the one I have so I might be getting one of you guys to pick me up one soon. The more I see it the more I see a padd! Can't wait to see the finished pics Cristar!

These things are still $29 ($40-$45 shipped to CONUS RPFers) at my local Wal-Mart. Hopefully they'll mark them down soon.

They're more expensive, but the portable picture frames here (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=7XL-1&cat=MON) can be turned into neat PADDS. They have a 7" widescreen and have video capabilites as well as memory slots.

I was making one into a seaQuest portable computer... until I was a bit too rough with the wood casing and got fed up with the whole thing...

Last edited:
So, has anyone been able to hack the original photo album yet? I think we should be able to get rid of the "page turning" thing between pics if we can. It's just that my hack-fu skills are weak!!!

Anyone think they can do this? And then let us know how it's done?

Hi everyone, I found a hoard of these on ebay. Item no. 110401574830. The seller says he has 10 for sale at 29.99 with free shipping. Not as cheap as some have reported, but they have a lot.

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of... he purchased them from Walmart for $5 each and is selling them at the $29 price that they were on clearance for so long. The Walmarts near me were picked clean except for one last one that had just been marked down to $5.

Hmm, well if that may be the case for that particular guy, I'm just stating that I found 'em. For the record I won some on Ebay for cheaper. :lol

My local Wal-Mart still has these listed for $29, so it looks like they won't be marking them down further. This Wal-Mart is also a nasty, filthy place, so I don't expect to be stopping in for any further price checks.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back