neat Padd type photo viewer

Sweet, i'm gonna have to pick one up! I think I might just do a repaint instead of gutting it and building a body, looks like from the pics that you might even be able to do some custom graphics that will go over the buttons in front and have a working display!

Sweet, i'm gonna have to pick one up! I think I might just do a repaint instead of gutting it and building a body, looks like from the pics that you might even be able to do some custom graphics that will go over the buttons in front and have a working display!

Can someone post some pics of an actual padd that fits this description? Maybe it will give us some ideas on how to gussy this thing up.

The local Wal-Mart (ick) has scads of these for about $30 after tax. If anyone wants one, I'd be happy to buy and ship to a US address. The total cost after PayPal fees, shipping (USPS Priority), tracking, packing, and my time would be $45. Just PM me if interested.

Last edited:
To anyone who has one of these in hand, how fast can it cycle through a slide show? If it can do maybe one image every second or two, you could get an animated effect easy- just load it full of 60 copies of the same image, but have the blinkies and numbers on each one be slightly different.

Do they have sound? :love

-Sarge

I don't have any screencaps but the "nelix" padd from voyager has a round lcars and I'm pretty sure member joerolat from lcars.net has don't some custom ones that would fit perfect

I definitely gotta recommend that anyone who thinks this is cool... GET ONE OF THESE GUYS TO BUY ONE FOR YOU! They've completely dropped off the map since last Christmas far as I can tell.

And to you guys that CAN get them... GET THEM! A coat of paint would make this a welcome addition to a prop display!

Also... as for having it cycle quickly... you can set the display to cycle every 1 second... but it does this stupid page turning graphic between pics that would take away from the effect. Better to just leave a particular one on there... or change it manually.

And lastly... Funky and Tim... would you mind telling us WHERE you are that these are available? If it's close I might pick one up. If not I might have you pick me up another one... just let me know.

And lastly... Funky and Tim... would you mind telling us WHERE you are that these are available? If it's close I might pick one up. If not I might have you pick me up another one... just let me know.

Northeastern Ohio. Original price $50, marked down to $29 plus tax. I checked the local Target too, but no dice.

Again, I can buy a few and send to US locations (Priority Mail with tracking), but the cost would be $45. That's just a touch above my "break even" point given shipping and fees.

Last edited:
I got one of the image viewers today thanks to Tim.

It's pretty cool. The only downside is that the images are displayed at 320x240 and the angle of view is not that good. Looking at it straight on though the color on the screen is very good and the over-all size and shape is really close to the Voyager PADD. Even the color of the body is close.

I'll try to get some pictures comparing my static PADD with this.

I was just at my local Walmart (Woodbridge, NJ) and they had about 30 of them in the clearance aisle-- $29, just like everyone is saying. I would have gotten one, but I already ordered one off eBay, tho (at the same price, actually). When that one comes, if it turns out to be a good candidate for customization, maybe I'll go and get one or two more at Walmart. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it!

If anyone does any graphic decals for these I would be very interested. Maybe some faux "buttons" for the front? The delta logo on the back?

I was just at my local Walmart (Woodbridge, NJ) and they had about 30 of them in the clearance aisle-- $29, just like everyone is saying. I would have gotten one, but I already ordered one off eBay, tho (at the same price, actually). When that one comes, if it turns out to be a good candidate for customization, maybe I'll go and get one or two more at Walmart. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it!

Not everyone is saying $29- I got mine for $5 each in Michigan. One day they had about 15 in the aisle at $29- the next day they only had 2 left at $5. It is absolutely worth the $29 if that is the price you find though. It accepts SD cards in addition to it's 60 jpeg internal memory. Save your receipt. Walmart might price match if the price drops in your area within a certain number of days. Here it went from $29 to $5 with no stops in between.

Sorry... I should have said "a lot" not "everyone." :) I'll definitely keep my eyes open, however, and if the mini-stockpile at my Walmart goes down to $5 apiece, I'll pick up a bunch in case anyone wants one.

Good tip on the price matching too. Too bad I can't use the "Well it's $5 at another Walmart" plea to try to get them for a fiver at my store, though. According to the website, "Prices may vary from store to store because each store is required to manage its own inventory. Therefore, a manager may lower a price to clear out an overstock item, to reward customers with an in-store sale, or to compete with local merchants. It is not our policy to price match our own stores or our online service since we are not in competition with ourselves."

But if these sit there for much longer in the quantity they're currently in, I can see them (hopefully) going down in price soon! And for $5, I'd have no problem with cracking one open to try some heavier modifications. (Don't wan to mess with them for too much if they're costing me $30 a pop! :lol )

If anyone can get one at $5, I'd love another one. I'd be willing to take it apart and try to make it even better for $5, but not $30-45.

If you see one for $5, buy one (or several) and PM me. :D

one idea for modding the viewer for a PADD, custom make a padd with the viewer screen dimensions, load the appropriate graphics, and frame it for display. An easy way of making and displaying without a complete tearing apart of the unit.

How funny! My daughter has one of these(damn thing's loaded full of Fall Out Boy pics!) Just for S&G's I loaded a couple of TOS tricorder screen pics to see how it looks.
Padd2.jpg

Padd1.jpg

Robert

Last edited:
Since the internal memory is so small on it I'm planning on getting a SD card for it. I was thinking about making the top of an Isolinear chip to go around the SD card so it looks like it has the Iso chip in it.

Yeah, I would do the same and pay $10 for someone able to get one for me at $5. I am not close to a Wal-Mart. (I know, it's amazingly generous of me!:rolleyes )

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back