Mysterio Cosplay 2014

To make the opening larger, i used a dremel tool. I burned through a bunch of blades cause it was the first time for me using the tool before. As long as you have a study hand you should be fine. Just don't put too much pressure on globe when trying to cut it or it might crack. I just guided the dremel tool and let it do the work. If you don't mess up on the bottom, don't worry because you will wrap the bottom with purple cloth anyway so no one should be able to see that. Not to mention it will have a coat of the mirrored spray paint as well.

BTW I just used the same globe for this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412004642.775938.jpg

I built the fish puppet, fish bowl and tea pots for our local children's theater production of "The Cat in the Hat."

Thanks! I am going to say that it would be fine with proper curing of the paint prior to wearing, but, as I never finish a costume well in advance of the event, I understand your decision! Great work!

Thanks. It was a lot of fun. I really wanted to find a portable fog machine that ran on battery power. Running a pvc pipe down and having fog come out of the bottom of the cape would be so epic. However, they were pretty pricey. North of $800. Now if you can create a frame where the cape sticks out further, create a mount for a 400 w fog machine and run it off of a 12v battery with out looking like you have a growth coming out of your back would be interesting concept. Not sure how it would work though....

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I just used the same globe for this:

View attachment 382505

I built the fish puppet, fish bowl and tea pots for our local children's theater production of "The Cat in the Hat."

Nice! That is awesome. Really impressive. Was it a success for the theater?

I bet you could run a couple of those water vapor foggers (like you see in indoor fountains) off of big external cell phone batteries. Not much space required and since there is no oily residue, cons might not object.

How's the vision out of that globe? I have a commission coming up where I need to make a chrome/silver helmet visor, and am interested in using that spray.

How's the vision out of that globe? I have a commission coming up where I need to make a chrome/silver helmet visor, and am interested in using that spray.
Vision is decent. It's like looking through a dirty glass. Definitely foggy but manageable. I will try to take a picture of it from the inside. Your eyes will thank you when you take the helmet off.

Stofdaddy mentioned using a Dremel to widen the opening of the globe.I intend to do the same and found one of those globes online:
View attachment 410880
"Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA)- Acrylic PMMA globe 30cm.Fume- smoked glass polymeric globe. This polymeric globe is made of the highest quality Acrilan And Will not discolour".
Is that the same material as the globes that are being discussed here? Is it safe to use my Dremel to alter its size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Acrylic is what most of them are made of.

My test globe and then final globe were made of polycarbonate

The Krylon mirror spray seems to prefer acrylic and the tail light spray prefers PC

Jellyhugo and anyone else really: would it be possible for you to please make a diagram of how to set up the pc fan for airflow into and out of the helmet?
I'm not technically inclined at all,but I would love to start a WIP for Mysterio.The cooling unit issue is all that is unclear to me.
Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I know this is a way old post for you if you are even still on here. But....What size did you get at Amazon? 18 or 16 inch size? Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back