My V3 HDPE TROOPER HELMET **FINISHED! see post #207

Re: My V3 HDPE TROOPER HELMET

Gino i assume these were pulled on the same mold as your v2 abs buckets. This would explain why the tear bubble is present on the hdpe and not the abs and its simply a matter of the product used and its forming qualities . Would that be a correct assumption?

If so then this is i guess the ultimate screen accurate bucket as it is not only khaki hdpe but also has the tear bubble/detail present which doesnt show with ABS or HIPS.

Am i correct or am i just looking into this too much?

thanks.

Gino i assume these were pulled on the same mold as your v2 abs buckets. This would explain why the tear bubble is present on the hdpe and not the abs and its simply a matter of the product used and its forming qualities . Would that be a correct assumption?

If so then this is i guess the ultimate screen accurate bucket as it is not only khaki hdpe but also has the tear bubble/detail present which doesnt show with ABS or HIPS.

Am i correct or am i just looking into this too much?

thanks.

I have one of Gino's V2 helmet kits made of glossy styrene and it has the tear bubbles, they are just not quite as sharp, but pretty close. Once you put a layer of paint or decals on you wouldn't notice the difference.

Gino, I am seeing some bubbling and minor imperfections on the faceplate, are those also part of the phenomenon of working with the HDPE? Are these faceplate imperfections prevalent on the screenused lids? I am not seeing it on the pics of the original helmet.

Most of the quirks are due to the HDPE. Some are random, some consistently appear but in different sharpness levels.

I like the colour, but i would need to see some daylight pics just to make sure the colour is not too light/not green enough. The real HDPE is quite a dark green in when seen in person.

I love the fact that these are made from HDPE, but can you show some realy close and clear shots of the cap. The front, sides and back?

Its hard to tell from these photos and i'm really hoping its just poor lighting, but it looks like the bumpy detail on the cap is not anywhere near as good as it is on the abs helmets you make. If this is the case, i would rather paint match the HDPE colour and paint your abs version green before painting the primer and the white. For what you will see of the HDPE colour anyway, with an odd chip here and there.

Can you take some much better photos please Gino outside in daylight?

Keith.

Sure I can take some daylight pics.
But no worries, the bumps/texture on the back/cap is no different than on the abs or styrene pulls.

Thanks you guys.
Wasn't sure if there would be very many people around who would be excited or interested in seeing helmets built out to this level of accuracy. Some people draw the line at the bumpy back/cap, so I'm glad to see there are still some out there besides me.

Are you kidding? I always wanted a trooper helmet, but up until now there wasn't one available I'd be interested in.

Still can't get over your mega accurate T Track.:thumbsup

Bring it on Gino, and I'll start saving.

Sure I can take some daylight pics.
But no worries, the bumps/texture on the back/cap is no different than on the abs or styrene pulls.

Thats good to hear. Must just be the photos that makes the bumps and texture look less than the abs ones, or the fact that i'm not used to seeing a trooper helmet replica thats not white even.

Can't wait to see one with white ears attached. It almost seems a shame to paint the helmet.

Keith.

If you sell these, will they have the correct tear detail or will that still be removed and smoothed over?

Keith.

I know what you mean Keith, it definitely is weird looking at green colored trooper helmets. Takes some getting used to.

Ok, here are some pics taken outside.
It was late evening, not quite dusk.
Every time I photograph these, they come out looking a different color.

Here are some ones taken without flash.

hdpe_test6.JPG

hdpe_test7.JPG

hdpe_test8.JPG

hdpe_test9.JPG

And here's a shot of the interior using the flash.

hdpe_test10.JPG

If anyone wants to know more about these kits, feel free to send me a pm. :)

Last edited:

:eek Unprecedented!

(I mean, apart from that limited run made some decades ago at that factory in England)

Actually this is as there as it's going to get. :)
What you are seeing are not air channel issues.
The material sucks into those areas just fine, but then the material takes over.
The same phenomena occurs on the screen helmets.

Hmmm. Well, I hope you can do something about the "bags" under the eyes at least? He looks a bit tired. Maybe keep working it with (gloved) fingers until it cools? The channels in the traps (perimeter) I could live with, but the baggy eyes -- too apparent.

Love the color BTW. :thumbsup

Doug

Hmmm. Well, I hope you can do something about the "bags" under the eyes at least? He looks a bit tired. Maybe keep working it with (gloved) fingers until it cools? The channels in the traps (perimeter) I could live with, but the baggy eyes -- too apparent.

Love the color BTW. :thumbsup

Doug

I think those bags are just a typical of hdpe and its forming qualities.
Here's one i am restoring and it has the same "bags" under the eye's. As gino said it was apparent on the originals as well.

123022.jpg

123024.jpg

I think those bags are just a typical of hdpe and its forming qualities.
Here's one i am restoring and it has the same "bags" under the eye's. As gino said it was apparent on the originals as well.

Yeah I had one of TE's as well. Couldn't stand to look at it, after a while sold if off.
I need to see some pics of originals that are that apparent. I have seen very subtle channeling on the wearers left eye, but very subtle.

Doug

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back