My V3 HDPE TROOPER HELMET **FINISHED! see post #207

Re: My V3 HDPE TROOPER HELMET

Ditto that Keith, I read the whole thing thinking this was it.. the lid I was after. But as you say maybe the next time.
Awesome work on the colour HDPE Gino.. nice work bruv! :thumbsup

Well apparently what i posted was really bad thing to say Gav.

Keith.

Er, Gino... Make sure there are no reflective surfaces if you're going to take the pictures naked! :p

Of course. I'm going to try to get it built up, then take pics of it naked.
Then paint it and take more pics.

The missing tear detail in the kits really bummed me out.I even asked Gino if the tear detail could be filled with epoxy,but he said it wouldn't stick to the HDPE.:cry

There are now polyethylene glues out there, they are FAR from a gurantee at solid performance but they do work quite well, light years ahead of the nothing will stick at all that has been the norm for PE... For a small detail like this you could likely do a layer of the raw glue to get the detail... I won't lie it's a risky application since you have to flame treat the surface to get the glue an PE to activate but it can be done... A hint for those that are devoted enough to explore this option, place wet towels on the inside of the helmet, against the back of the area you are heat treating, since you are only surface heat treating the towels won't negatively effect the treatment, but they will help prevent any distortion due to heating the plastic... STILL A RISKY APPLICATION!

YouTube - How to repair and glue Polyethylene and Seaboard

BTW Gino I love that an HDPE version of the helmet of this magnitude is finally being done, it's something I have wanted for a LONG time... Now I just need to get the slush fund money rolling...

Kinda sad that known details are sanitized but it's still the best offering out there for right now, IMO the HDPE alone adds so much...

A hint for those that are devoted enough to explore this option, place wet towels on the inside of the helmet, against the back of the area you are heat treating, since you are only surface heat treating the towels won't negatively effect the treatment, but they will help prevent any distortion due to heating the plastic... STILL A RISKY APPLICATION!

It can indeed be done, is less risky than it sounds (although you could certainly still ruin your helmet if careless), and works well for negating the classic issues with PE!

So were the humps under the eyes a problem or not? If it was redone to exclude them then why did I get a slap on the hand (and called a troll) from the RPF admin for showing that the originals don't have them?

It can indeed be done, is less risky than it sounds (although you could certainly still ruin your helmet if careless), and works well for negating the classic issues with PE!

So if Exoray says something negative about it, it isn't trolling? But when I show a comparison that the originals don't have it, it is trolling?

So basically I have no right to post something contrary to Gino in any of his threads? And other people do?

Show me where I have been or am a troll.

Last edited:

One detail, and for really good reasons.
It is factually incorrect to state that there is another helmet out there that is more definitive from an accuracy/purists perspective. Even with this one detail missing. Not even close actually.
If there is, I'd love to see it.

Sithlord - er yes they do! stop that ship at christies.

GonkChrists14.jpg
[/IMG]

Not my pic..... i will remove as required , but this is a great example of how light and perspective can hide/show different features. you can clearly see the "bag" under the eye on the right.

So if Exoray says something negative about it, it isn't trolling?

Really? Get a flippin' grip on reality and stop crying poor you...

There is a world of difference from a mention of personal opinion on a detail (that includes a suggested way to remedy it) to an outright deliberate and focused personal attack with no purpose except to pick a fight...

Just so I have this straight. This is your V3 with the newly added kink in the right tube that you stated before was due to assembly and aren't on your V2. You also stated your V2 was the most accurate. So which is it. Your new molds or your old molds? Either way they are both modified.

Pretty straightforward you just contradicted yourself.... You follow the apple motto of double dipping your customers

Ok , I have the v2 and it is by far the best most accurate helmet in my collection to date.
Now the v 3 is available which is in HDPE this will now take its place as the most accurate , even without the tear detail ( which is unfortunate but understandable).

Its simple really , If you want one buy one if not then don't..........easy!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back