My Tron Legacy Costume Attempt

I've been loving looking at this thread! It's given me so many ideas for Tron and other costumes! The reflective tape particularly.

Wow, The hexagon print you made looks amazing! I just purchased my TL Jacket from UD Replicas. If you do sell the print, or could sell a pair of gloves, i'd be in for sure!

Things have been super busy with the Halloween holiday afoot, but I'm still making progress on this project! I hope to have a complete hex suit prototype in the next couple weeks.

I have a new glove design in the works as well. Stay tuned!

So I've been experimenting with just how far I can take the cuts on the EL tape.

Here you can see I've cut quite a jagged edge and split the tape down the middle. I also punched a small hole in it. Still illuminates bright and consistent!

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

So I've been experimenting with just how far I can take the cuts on the EL tape.

Here you can see I've cut quite a jagged edge and split the tape down the middle. I also punched a small hole in it. Still illuminates bright and consistent!

How are the conductive layers arranged on your tape? I've seen two types available, the more traditional two full conductive layers style and the newer split back style.

Last edited:
It's a split back. Hence my surprise when I was able to cut right down the split and still have solid illumination!

1st attempt and some Tron Gloves:

TronGloves.jpg

Still need to add some detail to the backs of the gloves. I may go with a different design all together.

Looking fantastic so far! Can you explain your silkscreening process. How you made the HEX design right down to how it is applied thru silkscreening to your spandex fabric... I have a feeling this is going to be a long explaination ;)

I am really digging your HEX print and want to do the same for my Quorra costume. Tear out the material I used and add the HEX silk screen you have done. It is awesome!

~A

Thanks for the compliment Annisse!

I created the hex print on the computer and then transfered it onto my emulsion screen by exposing it to light. There are tutorials on how to do this via youtube. Then it's all just a matter of lining up the screens to get the pattern just right. It's a long and tedious process because I can only do one pass and then I must clean the screen and let the paint dry before I can align the hexagon pattern for the surrounding areas.

So I tested out the load on my inverter over the weekend and I was able to achieve a very bright illumination of over 360sqin on two separate strips of EL tape, each of them over 12' in length and wired in parallel on just one compact 12v inverter! You can see my cat in the pic for scale.

IMG_6088.jpg

I tested some bending and cutting techniques, but lost illumination in certain portions, so I would advise against that. I was however successful in linking multiple sections of tape together to achieve various angles. I'll post more pics soon!

I finally finished my costume! I am almost done with my wife's Quorra costume. I'll post pics of those when I am done. Meanwhile, here are some.

I found the camera work was tricky, but we got a few that at least you can get the idea of. I used a wetsuit for the armor and a zentai suit for the under suit. I did not use lightsheet but rather reflective tape (though I tried a few experiments with lightsheet). Reflective tape was a lot easier to work with and if it is even moderately dark, you have a glow effect anyway. It will be great in clubs.

I used dressage gloves (leather) and trimmed them. These were great. I used a Tron Legacy toy flying disc I got on eBay. It is a great disc and you can throw it but I had to paint the back. I also used blue LEDs in the back mount. I used modified rollerblade kneepads and long boots. Finally, I took the suggestion and used the adult GI Joe helmet, painted it black and added striping. It didn't turn out bad at all. Let me know what you think. Thanks, andy

I finally finished my costume! I am almost done with my wife's Quorra costume. I'll post pics of those when I am done. Meanwhile, here are some.

WOW! That looks INCREDIBLE! And I love that it's made with such easily accessible and usable materials! Congratulations on a fantastic job! I can't wait to see the Quorra outfit!!! UGH. I wish I had mine done. :( Thanks for the inspiration, though!!! Again, fantastic work!

I found the camera work was tricky, but we got a few that at least you can get the idea of. I used a wetsuit for the armor and a zentai suit for the under suit. I did not use lightsheet but rather reflective tape (though I tried a few experiments with lightsheet). Reflective tape was a lot easier to work with and if it is even moderately dark, you have a glow effect anyway. It will be great in clubs.

I used dressage gloves (leather) and trimmed them. These were great. I used a Tron Legacy toy flying disc I got on eBay. It is a great disc and you can throw it but I had to paint the back. I also used blue LEDs in the back mount. I used modified rollerblade kneepads and long boots. Finally, I took the suggestion and used the adult GI Joe helmet, painted it black and added striping. It didn't turn out bad at all. Let me know what you think. Thanks, andy

Very nice. How did you end up attaching the reflective tape to the wetsuit? Spray glue or stitching?

I finally finished my costume! I am almost done with my wife's Quorra costume. I'll post pics of those when I am done. Meanwhile, here are

Wow!!! Very impressive work!!! Can I ask if you used a white reflective tape? And what brand! I used the 3M Scothlite 8930 reflective tape and looks almost too bright when flash photography taken of my Quorra suit.

Great work! :)

hey Acargile
great work, i like the helmet
but friendly tip
you may want to get a Ballet Jock, ill be wearing one in my costume
keeps the manhood at bay

Last thing we need is another Tron Guy. at-least your thin XD

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back