My Rocketeer Build Progress

runJEDIrun

Hi! It’s been a while since I’ve done any build since and this is probably my first RPF post. I’ve previously built out TK/TD’s, a Jango Fett, and started and abandoned a AOTC Cody.

The Rocketeer has been one of those projects in the back of my mind that I’ve wanted to do for a while now and so finally, here I am actually doing it.

My experience with cosplay costumes has mostly been through a combination of fiberglass, resin, and various types of ABS/styrene plastics. This will be my first 3D printer approach since I have access to one.

I’ll be using ://www.do3d.com/product-page/the-rocketeer-rocket-cirrus-x-3-jet-pack-and-helmet-3d-model-project-4947 for the files for my build and I would love to hear from anyone who has done this and if you have any tips for me, sanding, painting, etc. I am not planning to go full blown screen accurate, especially when it comes to the boots, but I’ll try and get it close.

If anyone has any info on how to achieve this rockett effect let me know. And if there is anything I need to do on the front end to edit the files so that it prints to make install easier.

Thanks and hope you all enjoy my build. Photos coming soon…

Making progress through the 60 hour print time for the helmet.
FF0FCF91-E166-4A51-AAB6-AED15F78C3DD.jpeg

What causes the fine spiderweb threads to develop on the print? is your printer running too hot or fast? I don't envy you all the sanding of those high spots though, haha

What causes the fine spiderweb threads to develop on the print? is your printer running too hot or fast? I don't envy you all the sanding of those high spots though, haha
I honestly have no idea. I’m using a 3D printer that was made available to me so I’ll have to look into that. I agree, sanding is going to be horrible!

As with most things during the holidays this got put on pause for a little bit, but finally I have the helmet parts printed and I’ll be working to sand this down. First time sanding PLA so this should be interesting.

04373914-75D0-4CF5-A0E6-50F8E4DFC5A8.jpeg

Last edited:
May I suggest completely removing the rivet details, then add them back in either as real rivets, (or something that would look similar to rivets once painted)? I feel it would help speed up your sanding stage immensely.

Looking forward to more.

Did you ever consider buying a cast helmet instead of printing one? I got mine from Ozymandius(?) and it came out great with a whole lot less work. It’s pictured below. As for lighting the rocket pack, I have this and it is very nice. (Top link) Also I saw this and it would be a great addition to the lighted ring. (Bottom link)

Attachments

• 1671289745653.jpeg
    1671289745653.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Honestly, I would recalibrate your printer and try it again. There is no reason it should have that deep of layer lines. The sheer amount of time you’re going to spend just to get it passable can be saved with a few more days and smooth print.

Honestly, I would recalibrate your printer and try it again. There is no reason it should have that deep of layer lines. The sheer amount of time you’re going to spend just to get it passable can be saved with a few more days and smooth print.
I might actually try and do that. This PLA stuff is majorly difficult to sand. I might use this one as a tester for color or something or to experiment with the UV resin.

Did you ever consider buying a cast helmet instead of printing one? I got mine from Ozymandius(?) and it came out great with a whole lot less work. It’s pictured below. As for lighting the rocket pack, I have this and it is very nice. (Top link) Also I saw this and it would be a great addition to the lighted ring. (Bottom link)

Both of those rocket effects are pretty rad! Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I’ve heard the resin helmets are very nice.

The reason for going with the 3D print was to get some experience with the printer and make it a fun project, but we may have to try and print this again since the layer lines are so intense.

I might actually try and do that. This PLA stuff is majorly difficult to sand. I might use this one as a tester for color or something or to experiment with the UV resin.
Yeah, I’d use it to practice paint and reprint. I have that file, it’s a great helmet when completed!

Attachments

• C3BE711B-30DF-4CFC-AC54-E15137FB0C50.jpeg
    C3BE711B-30DF-4CFC-AC54-E15137FB0C50.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • 26216302-78BC-4483-8B55-3273A9CD3A1C.jpeg
    26216302-78BC-4483-8B55-3273A9CD3A1C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
Up to you, but starting like this would give you a much better finished helmet. PLA is a nightmare to sand and getting it really smooth takes a huge effort.

Attachments

• 1671543687891.jpeg
    1671543687891.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back