My Rick O'Connell, The Mummy outfit & Holster pattern

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
Welcome to the right side of the river!

So I spent a good deal of the quarantine losing my mind / watching the Mummy on repeat. This inevitably lead to me obsessing over Rick O'Connell's costume and gear. There is little to no info on this outfit so I spent a good deal of time compiling and sorting out what I could.

I wanted to breakdown some of the more challenging details I came up against & skip over the more obvious ones like the wrist-cuff and bandanna.

Here are some pics of me in the finished outfit before I go into the process:

RICK_Wide_4.jpg
Sunny Mummy Cropped.jpg

Rick - AJ Gun.jpg

Here is a fairly brief overview of what I did:

First up:

Pants: Modified Scully Men's Rangewear Canvas Pant

Basically cowboy pants that I cut some of the bottom cuff off of and added belt loops to. You can see in this weird diagram (below) where I placed the belt loops if you are looking at them from the top-down with the fly at the bottom. They should go up and over your belly button so they are a VERY strange fit if you aren't used to that. The location of the loops is very important as it dictates where your holsters sit.

197862131_3014287692135371_3864755997657510982_n.jpg

The shirt:

Pouring over reference, I discovered that his shirt is a dead-ringer for a "Pilots shirt" very similar to an Indiana Jones shirt, just has lower pockets and no pleats. The one I got was called the Van Heusen Men's Pilot Dress Shirt Long Sleeve Commander. I got it on amazon, tea stained it and took out the really stiff bit of interfacing inside the collar with a seam ripper.

The-Mummy-Brendan-Fraser-Rick-O-Connell-screenworn-Shirt-1.jpg

Now: The big guy!

The Shoulder Holsters:

I'm not going to go over this completely, but there's a few things I want to point out.

First: I've seen the Todd's costumes Holsters and they are AMAZING! But they were missing a few important details + I wanted to make this myself.

So one of the biggest confusions for me is the fact that the gun holsters actually slide through his pants belt. That took me much too long to figure out. For this reason I would highly recommend getting your pants first... which I didn't do.

You can see this best illustrated here:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.42.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.09.54 AM.png

Now. The thing that drove me MOST insane. These Mystery holes. They seem to move from scene to scene. I suspect these are here to tie the guns in place for stunts because that is roughly where they line up, otherwise I have zero Idea why they are here.
They can be best seen in this pic:

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.07.55 AM.png

The back also proved to be a bit of a nightmare, especially since I had to sort that out on my own and in a mirror. Really challenging. Plus finding good shots of his back and what kind of rivets they used was really hard. Here are some of the ones that helped me:

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 10.48.48 AM.png
TM_1999_2350.jpg

Here is the underside and back of mine:

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.42.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.41.41 AM.png

Leather Color
I went with Medium Brown Fiebing's Leather Dye mixed "watered down" with isopropyl alcohol. I used this on all of the leather bits, as they seem to be nearly an identical color.

For the Belt I just went with a 2" leather belt I got at Tandy and found the closest buckle I could. If memory serves I also got the buckles from Tandy and Frankenstein-ed 2 buckles together.

For that Brass belt keeper I couldn't find anything like that online so I made it using one of those K&S Precision Metals brass bars. You can typically find them at craft hobby / stores

The Chamelot-Delvigne Revolvers!

(I got mine from HanzoSword.com - their customer service was... unusual - not my favorite)

I originally 3-D printed some just to get started on the holsters, but eventually found these. I had to add my own brass ring at the bottom since the casting didn't come with any.

192271206_942041319914634_485594382635944707_n.jpg
mummypistolboxlabel.jpg

The Boots
Just re-used the ones for my Rocketeer costume. They are English officer's boots or something... I don't remember.

Hope this helps anyone looking to make this! It was a lot of fun to put together.

Oh. And for anyone interested in making the holster from scratch here is the pattern I drew up.

Happy Mummy Hunting!
-AJ

Rick OConnell Holster - Updated pattern.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.41.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.41.41 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,806
Last edited:
Amazing work on patterning the leatherwork and deconstructing the costume! Rick's holster setup is a leather project I've always wanted to tackle. This is brilliant and massive thanks for sharing so much info

Amazing work on patterning the leatherwork and deconstructing the costume! Rick's holster setup is a leather project I've always wanted to tackle. This is brilliant and massive thanks for sharing so much info
Thank you! And It's no fun to just horde this information, I was excited to share what i could! I'm sure others will make more discoveries. The holster rig was the biggest head-scratcher! Post if you make your own! Would love to see!

Mooniteman - outstanding job! Your hard work really shines through! Well done!

Thank you!

Wear a duster over that and you can have that Saint of Killers vibe.
Haha - I would need pretty gnarly hair and a beard to accompany that!

Awesome work! You're attention to details is amazing. I'm happy to see you found yourself a fulfilling activity during quarantine :)

Amazing costuming guide! Definitely will follow this, hope to try to see if I can do this cosplay before the next comic con!

What an awesome job. I’ve wanted to do this costume for Halloween ever since I was a kid and I think I’m finally gonna do it now. I was wondering what you used for the boots? Also, any interest in making the gun bag from the original? I know there’s a pretty extensive thread about it on here! I’ve always wanted to make one but haven’t because if used on a costume, you aren’t going to get to go around opening and closing it showing everyone what’s in it lol.

What an awesome job. I’ve wanted to do this costume for Halloween ever since I was a kid and I think I’m finally gonna do it now. I was wondering what you used for the boots? Also, any interest in making the gun bag from the original? I know there’s a pretty extensive thread about it on here! I’ve always wanted to make one but haven’t because if used on a costume, you aren’t going to get to go around opening and closing it showing everyone what’s in it lol.

Thanks! And the boots are really old boots I got for my Rocketeer costume I searched ebay for some variation of "British Army Officer Laced Front High Brown Leather Field Boots"

And oh man - no ambitions to make the bad, I was happy with just the regular costume!

The Mummy is one of my favorite movies and Rick is a great character. Thank you for posting the rig pattern. I want to make one so bad. Great work on the revolver-looks real.

So do you think it would be possible to take that rig pattern to a professional tailor and get it made?
Maybe? You would likely need to do a lot of han-holding. Finding someone that makes things like this on the RPF or Etsy might be a better bet. It’s not a complete step-by-step map. + pieces like the hardware & the suspender strap are missing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back