My Pred Bios

Richie

IMG_20110815_105441.jpg

IMG_20110815_105452.jpg

So, I recently decided to try my hand at sculpting. I've been doing research for a long time and I've gotten a lot of help from members on here. I have experience with clay but, only in a ceramics class making cups and pots. I decided to go with a P1 sculpt because I thought it would be simplest since I am a first timer but, even this is giving me a hard time. I've been at for about 5hrs and even though it looks nothing like the pictures, I'm loving every minute. :)
IMG_20110525_220756.jpg

IMG_20110525_220738.jpg

IMG_20110526_154310.jpg

IMG_20110526_160301.jpg

IMG_20110526_204601.jpg

Thanks sonic.

new pics, I was so excited to start back. As soon as I work up, I started working again. My hands are getting worn out though, handling this stuff is tougher than I originally thought.
IMG_20110527_131020.jpg

IMG_20110527_131030.jpg

It's looking great so far!! Keep it up!!

And yeah, the clay can be pretty tough on the paws sometimes. What type are you using? Looks like Chavant or Monster Makers possibly?

As of right now, I'm only playing around with Chavant NSP medium. When I started out, I would try putting the clay on straight from the package but it took for ever and chewed my hands raw. I tried warming it with a blow dryer, but that was kind of ridiculous. Next I moved to cutting slices and chunks off of the block, and heating them in the microwave. It works pretty well and I still do it quite often; but for blocking out the main forms I found an old crock pot. (You can buy a new one at walmart for like $25) I still cut the clay into slices or chunks and then throw them in the crock pot on low for a while. It softens the clay right up. It's your choice how long you want to leave it on for. Once the pieces are a bit more pliable, you can shut it off and use them like that; or you can keep it on and (with Chavant NSP Medium) completely melt the clay down to the point where it's pourable. For something like a bio, that would probably be over kill, but you can actually paint it straight onto the armature at that point and cover a lot of area in very little time.
*Word of caution, molten clay is ridiculously hot and will burn you. So be careful. And research first, some clays can actually burn or be destroyed if you overheat them)

Sorry, I always ramble way too much. Just thought I'd share that tip. Keep it in mind as you move forward with other projects. it may come in handy!

Again, it's looking great.
One question, What did you use for the measurements of your Bio Armature? Did you just wing it, or is it built to a specific size? I've wanted to make one for a long time but have been trying to nail the correct size before going ahead with it.
Thanks.

It's looking great so far!! Keep it up!!

And yeah, the clay can be pretty tough on the paws sometimes. What type are you using? Looks like Chavant or Monster Makers possibly?

As of right now, I'm only playing around with Chavant NSP medium. When I started out, I would try putting the clay on straight from the package but it took for ever and chewed my hands raw. I tried warming it with a blow dryer, but that was kind of ridiculous. Next I moved to cutting slices and chunks off of the block, and heating them in the microwave. It works pretty well and I still do it quite often; but for blocking out the main forms I found an old crock pot. (You can buy a new one at walmart for like $25) I still cut the clay into slices or chunks and then throw them in the crock pot on low for a while. It softens the clay right up. It's your choice how long you want to leave it on for. Once the pieces are a bit more pliable, you can shut it off and use them like that; or you can keep it on and (with Chavant NSP Medium) completely melt the clay down to the point where it's pourable. For something like a bio, that would probably be over kill, but you can actually paint it straight onto the armature at that point and cover a lot of area in very little time.
*Word of caution, molten clay is ridiculously hot and will burn you. So be careful. And research first, some clays can actually burn or be destroyed if you overheat them)

Sorry, I always ramble way too much. Just thought I'd share that tip. Keep it in mind as you move forward with other projects. it may come in handy!

Again, it's looking great.
One question, What did you use for the measurements of your Bio Armature? Did you just wing it, or is it built to a specific size? I've wanted to make one for a long time but have been trying to nail the correct size before going ahead with it.
Thanks.
For my armature, I used the measurments that Uratz used when he did his armature thread. Just search his threads and you should be able to find it easily. But, mine is a little bigger, maybe too big.

As for the clay, I'm using the chavant soft. I've started to cut it into small blocks and put it on a cookie tin and heat it with a lamp. It's actually working out pretty good so far.

I like it - the shape is coming along nicely :) I'm planning on doing the same thing and sculpting my own Bio, so its good to read about your progress and whats working best for you. Thanks for the pictures and info :)

I like it - the shape is coming along nicely :) I'm planning on doing the same thing and sculpting my own Bio, so its good to read about your progress and whats working best for you. Thanks for the pictures and info :)
yeah, I wanted to start my bio collection and figure what better way than to make my own. Getting it to match on both sides is a major pain particularly around the crown/top. Thanks, I like to read you threads on painting.

Did more smoothing and added the laser shroud.
IMG_20110602_134211.jpg

IMG_20110602_134159.jpg

IMG_20110602_164756.jpg

IMG_20110602_164735.jpg

So I've been working on this thing for a while now and I'm really enjoying it. The shape of it is looking really good but, the one thing that is really starting to irritate me is that I can't get it really smooth. Like I want it to essentially be perfectly smooth and I just can't seem to reach that standard.

So what I'm thinking about doing is trying to get the shape the way I want and try to get it as close to smooth as I can; then make a mold of it. Then make a cast and use the stuff that I'm comfortable using, bondo, to make it smooth. The one problem I'm having with this method is the cost of making two molds, I'm gonna try to do the Hez method but, that's still over or close to $200.

This probably won't happen for a couple of weeks though. Just thought I'd let those who care know what I'm thinking about. :D

Eh, who knows maybe, I'll get it smooth.

Heres a picture.
IMG_20110610_122026.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back