My map of Westeros: Game of Thrones

bookface

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Having taken some time off over the holidays (pretty much the first time all year), I decided to get back to a map that I started ages ago. I did Thror's map from the Hobbit a few years back, and this is in the same style, using ink dip pens on real calfskin parchment. The titles got a little messed up when the nib didn't quite play fair but I managed to repair most of the damage. Here's some progress shots along with the finished thing. I may go in and add some definition to the coastlines just to try and make a more obvious delineation between land and sea.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

WOW! Thats unique! How did you come by the real parchment? There are only one or two places left on earth to find real calveskin parchments (in England of course) anymore. What kind of ink did you use; iron gall or india ink? It's pretty nerve-wracking to work on a surface so valuable and not easy to correct anything on. How do you intend to display it? Great job indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I got the parchment from Pergamena in New York in exchange for doing a hobbit map for them on their own parchment, so I have a few pieces left to play about with.

I used India ink, not sure yet on display for it yet, maybe with my replica of Ice!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back