My Jack Skellington build

Got speaker fabric installed in the eyes tonight. So besides a couple of small touchups, Jack's head is finally done!

Visibility is perfect. Can see out just fine.

Next up is the suit. I should be posting some before, during and after pics next week.

IMG-20191005-021914.jpg

Took a small break from my costume to start on my fiancees Sally costume.

We started with a plain black dress. Then using pictures of Sally, I marked out where each color should go.

IMG-20191009-184556.jpg

Then I started cutting fabric. We went with plain pink, aqua, yellow and black from JoAnn fabric. A half yard of each.

Then I glued them down using Aileens tacky glue.

IMG-20191009-192805.jpg

upload

I used scrap black fabric to make the polka dots and diagonal lines too.

After everything was glued down, I went in with a sharpie and added patterns and random stitches around the patches.

Here's the front almost done. I just have to add the ragged edges at the bottom of the skirt and glue up the edges of some seams

We might add sleeves later if time allows.

IMG-20191009-205219.jpg

We bought the dress at a thrift store and counting the fabric we might have 20 dollars in the outfit so far.

I've been struggling for the past few days.

I bought a cheap thrift store black jacket in the hopes of turning it into a tailcoat.

Even looked at a couple of tutorials for it online.

My jacket turned out abysmal. None of the tutorials mentioned using a rotary cutter or a utility knife, so I used scissors instead.

Bad idea! The layers of the jacket made it impossible to cut totally straight lines. The outside looked great, but the inner lining moved around and the satin cut in weird ways.

I started trying to fix it by adding a ribbon folded in half to make a no-sew seam on each side.

But the uneven cuts made it impossible to do a good job or to do the costume justice so I scrapped the jacket.

The one trait that all successful people share is that they do not give up after encountering failure. They step back, hopeully figure out what they did wrong and keep trying.

So back to the drawing board!

I found a discount outlet near me that sells lightly used formal wear and I shelled out 60 bucks for a black tailcoat.

IMG-20191014-224046.jpg

I'm so much happier with this and will start painting the lines on the jacket and the pants later tonight.

Will post progress pics then.

Thanks everyone, especially Frogfreak and Potion Mistress for your interest and support since the start of this thread

I've been struggling for the past few days.

I bought a cheap thrift store black jacket in the hopes of turning it into a tailcoat.

Even looked at a couple of tutorials for it online.

My jacket turned out abysmal. None of the tutorials mentioned using a rotary cutter or a utility knife, so I used scissors instead.

Bad idea! The layers of the jacket made it impossible to cut totally straight lines. The outside looked great, but the inner lining moved around and the satin cut in weird ways.

I started trying to fix it by adding a ribbon folded in half to make a no-sew seam on each side.

But the uneven cuts made it impossible to do a good job or to do the costume justice so I scrapped the jacket.

The one trait that all successful people share is that they do not give up after encountering failure. They step back, hopeully figure out what they did wrong and keep trying.

So back to the drawing board!

I found a discount outlet near me that sells lightly used formal wear and I shelled out 60 bucks for a black tailcoat.

View attachment 1072655

I'm so much happier with this and will start painting the lines on the jacket and the pants later tonight.

Will post progress pics then.

Thanks everyone, especially Frogfreak and Potion Mistress for your interest and support since the start of this thread
I wish you the best of luck on the suit!

Woo! Awesome! What will you use to paint it?
You said it - you gotta stick to it, no matter how stressful or painful, because in the end, it's well worth it. Trust me, you want to keep this in mind when painting the tux...

Minor update. Probably going to have to go over the lines again with a smaller brush after it dries, but I'm happy with it.

Do y'all think I should stripe the inside of the tails? Or just leave them black?

IMG-20191015-025409.jpg

Minor update. Probably going to have to go over the lines again with a smaller brush after it dries, but I'm happy with it.

Do y'all think I should stripe the inside of the tails? Or just leave them black?

View attachment 1072690
Looks great! Something to consider before you do the stripes on the pants:
you can kind of play with the placement and thickness of the lines to create the illusion of the legs being longer and thinner.
For one instance don't have the stripes come together in the actual groin of the pants. just continue them straight up. You can even make a little "pants extension" that comes up around your middle and help achieve the inhuman shape of Jack.
It's useful that the suit is a very black black (as opposed to charcoal) so anything that you don't paint with stripes will disappear into the background.
Best of luck. It looks excellent.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back