My Jack Skellington build

Unseely

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I wanted to share my Jack Skellington build.

I started off with an old illuminated world globe found at a thrift store for 10 bucks.

After I got it home, I disassembled it and peeled off the vinyl skin with all the countries on it.

That left me with a thick clear plastic globe about 16 inches in diameter.

Using a sharpie I drew the eyes, nose and mouth.

Then I very carefully cut out the eyeholes with a jigsaw using a fine tooth wood blade.

For the opening for my head, I measured the width then added a bit more for comfort. Ended up being 9 inches.

There was already a small round hole for a lightbulb so I just measured the width of the circle and subtracted that from half of my total width for my head. I made 20 or so marks around the circle then connected the dots and cut with a jigsaw.

After that I used apoxie sculpt and dap drywall finish to start sculpting the face.

And this is where I am now after the first coat of primer.

I still have a lot of sanding, filling and refining left to do but I hope y'all enjoy.

I will be adding regular updates as I'm able.

Wow, I love this! Is this going to be just the Jack head or are you building the full body too? The head looks really good on the plinth that its setting on already.

Took a little break from hand sanding the mask to work on the bowtie.

In some of the screenshots from the movie, the bowtie looks like a cat with bat ears. I liked those so tried to duplicate them, with my own spin.

Hope y'all like

IMG-20190804-000820.jpg
IMG-20190804-000528.jpg

I'm having to go out of town on business and won't be back until the 15th or 16th.

My next step is to buy some Worbla black and use that to make the "wings" of the bowtie.

Promise y'all there will be plenty of pics and updates upon my return.n

Wow, just took another look. I like the bat/cat head but it's a little too large.

Will either be resculpting it a third smaller....or looking at 3d scanning options and reducing it that way.

So is it going to be a costume? And if so are you gonna have small stilts to add closer height?

Yes, it's going to be a costume. I'll be wearing 7" tall platform boots.

With the added height of the mask, that should put me right at 7 foot tall.

My fiance is going as Sally and she's only 5'

So, a small update for y'all.

I looked into resizing options like adding thinner to a silcone mold and having the original sculpt 3-d scanned and then printed smaller.

Decided to resculpt. I started off with a floral foam block and then covered that with Apoxie Sculpt.

For those not familiar with Apoxie Sculpt, it's a two part epoxy thats sculptable like clay until it hardens.

Anyway, here where I'm at now after sealing it with clear epoxy.

It's smaller than the original and not quite as whimsical.

Still waiting on my terraflex to arrive to begin work on the wings.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back