My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

I feel lucky, I found a local dealer that has gallon jugs of Flexbond so I don't have to pay shipping charges!

Just put in an order for a gallon of Flexbond. I'm hoping to hit it really hard the next four days...maybe get close to a full suit for when the flexbond gets here. Of course i'll post impressions for everyone about how the flexbond works out.

And my under suit should be arriving tomorrow, so i can post pics of the cod piece with the undersuit.

I'll post some updated pics tonight. I reworked the chest and ab pieces a good bit over the last two nights, i'm much happier with how it looks when worn now. I tried working on the boots last night, but man that's a complicated shape to build.

Bah...I wish!

I found a local vendor, but they would have had to ship it to me since they don't stock it. Would have cost almost $50 a gallon.

Re-watching Iron Man 2 tonight, i started to notice some inaccuracies and details i was missing from the upper chest, especially up around the shoulders.

So here's some new photos. Also, my codpiece and the calf i've done so far.

codpiece2.jpg

codpiece1.jpg

Calf:
calve1.jpg

calve2.jpg

Updated Chest (see my the first post for how the chest looked BEFORE)
new-chest1.jpg

new-chest2.jpg

Sweet Cod Adrian. LOL. Only on the RPF.

I was going to post pics but I really want to wait till the under-suit comes before doing so.

D'oh! I accidentally ordered two pants from east bay instead of a top and a bottom. I've already called them and have a new compression top on the way, but it'll be a few days.

The pants are the color i was hoping for, a nice red, not too bright, not to dark.

Awesome.

I ordered the same stuff. I hope you ordered the Mock Neck version.. since it will cover your neck just in case your neck seal shows through.

D'oh! I accidentally ordered two pants from east bay instead of a top and a bottom. I've already called them and have a new compression top on the way, but it'll be a few days.

The pants are the color i was hoping for, a nice red, not too bright, not to dark.

Yo Dyno. This has been addressed in pretty good detail in the originator of Foam Iron Man... BrotherFoster.. but in short.. Rosco Flexbond as primer... then any sort of flexible paint... something that will bend without cracking.
you're on to something buddy! Love the suit. How are u gonna paint it?

Hey IronManiac, been following your posts for a little while and made an account. The suit is looking awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Yo Adrian,

FOr the boots. DId you make covers to go over a pair of shoes you already own?

Care to show some pics of those? I am starting mine tonight/tomorrow.

Really impressed with the cod piece and calf's. I just went and swiped the last two rolls of the camping foam from my local wal-mart to finish my son's master cheif. This is so much fun I'm up all hours figuring things out. The foam is very easy to work with, once you can visualize it and master the cutting techniques it's a breeze. The hot glue works great and holds good too.

I bought some shoes and plan to cover them. They're cheap shoes, black leather with good support, the kind you see waiters wearing.

Problem is, it's really difficult to make all the facets of the shoes that look accurate to the real suit. I might just have to fudge it with simpler shapes just to get them done.

I'll post pics when I figure it out, but i'm gonna do the thighs first. I finished the other calf last night. Now I need to cut them open so I can insert elastic straps ad velcro.

Russell: Sounds great man, keep it up! Do you have any pics of your build anywhere?

Last edited:
I bought some shoes and plan to cover them. They're cheap shoes, black leather with good support, the kind you see waiters wearing.

Problem is, it's really difficult to make all the facets of the shoes that look accurate to the real suit. I might just have to fudge it with simpler shapes just to get them done.

I'll post pics when I figure it out, but i'm gonna do the thighs first. I finished the other calf last night. Now I need to cut them open so I can insert elastic straps ad velcro.

Russell: Sounds great man, keep it up! Do you have any pics of your build anywhere?
I plan to post a thread today about it, just finishing the second calf, finished the chest/back last night. Still need to do upper and lower arms. Was going to buy a cheap motocross helmet and paint it, but I may attempt to make that outta foam as well.
By the way that's a nice helmet you picked up, I also sculpted a decent iron man helmet(check my thread about it). I'm cosidering doing a suit like yours to go with mine, thanks again for the inspiration!:)

Robert is actually curious how you're going to paint the foam (I know it has been well addressed in the previous pages). Because we were thinking if it can be primed. most probably not with the primer we use because it's thinner based and would melt the foam. You can bondo it but then again you might have resined it from the start. He was thinking of water-based latex paint as primer then aerosol as top coat.but i don't know. we're just curious. might try to find a similar type of foam here. although i don't think its sold as sheets. but good job. keep it up and keep us posted. ;)

I've ordered a gallon of flexbond. i'll be experimenting on scrap pieces of foam before i commit to painting on the suit.

The plan is to put down a coat of flexbond (possibly 2 coats if i have enough), then glossy spray paint. I'll flex and bend the scrap piece once the paint has dried to see how it holds up. i'm hoping i get a good strong bond.

I finished the legs this weekend, both thighs and both calves are done.

That leaves:
Hip pods
knee pods
shoes
gloves
shoulder bells (need to redo them b/c i changed the chest and their too small now).

So i'm closing in on the home stretch of my build portion. i'll post some leg pics tonight, now that my tights have come in.

Help Please!

If someone could help me out...i need the pep files of the shoes in PDF format. I can't use the pep reader because i'm on macs at work and at home. The shoes have proven very difficult to piece together, and the pep templates would really make for a good guide to build off of.

Have you tried running a virtual PC on your mac? If you have a macbook (like I do) your are running an Intel processor anyway, so all you need is a simple program like VMWare Fusion (and a Windows OS). I run all of my pep stuff there, and can still enjoy my mac for everything else.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back