My HAL 9000 builds (plural)

The original lens contained colored filters in it. They rotated the dial to the red filter (R60 filter) and shined the light bulb through it.
I looked into an R60 filter and then bought a lighting gel sheet from a camera store that was as close as possible. Cut a small circle of it and stuck it inside my lens.

The warm white light passing through red filter material is what makes it look different than just a red LED.
There's also the diffraction of light in the original lens elements that has to be taken into account. Different lenses produce a different colour temperature image. Even if you're using the same filter, the resulting red won't be the same if it's just passing through regular glass

If you look at the Tested video with Peter Jackson, it does indeed stick way out the back. That's the problem we'll always have; in order to get that 'far away' look of the red light, it needs the reverse lensing effect of the entire array of elements in the original lens (essentially the reverse of what the fisheye is intended to do). In the same way we can't look through a the back of a single piece of glass and expect to see a fisheye effect. It's just a physics issue that won't be able to be solved if the unit is meant to hang flush on a wall.

That's what I thought for a while. But actually it's not quite true. The outer lens elements, especially of course the enormous primary, gather light from a large area for the fisheye/wide angle effect. But many of the smaller elements are converging elements that bring the image down to the small 35mm film sized imaging area.

When you shine a red light through a real fisheye you'll see a rather tiny red spot of light when viewed from the front. It also sort of vanishes when viewed off-axis. You occasionally see this effect in the film.

However we're used to seeing quite a lot of red in the eye. So when I got my hands on a real Nikkor 8mm f/8 lens I was pretty disappointed as to how little light came through, and how narrow the beam was. I eventually dismantled the lens and removed the bulk of the internal components. And that worked. It looks much closer to how it looked in much of the film!

So. By removing all but the primary and secondary lens elements, and by putting in a small LED, it actually is possible to get a great looking HAL while keeping it fairly thin. If you're willing to spend the cash on an actual lens...

There's also the diffraction of light in the original lens elements that has to be taken into account. Different lenses produce a different colour temperature image. Even if you're using the same filter, the resulting red won't be the same if it's just passing through regular glass

I'm afraid I don't agree with this. Virtually all lenses are carefully designed to be quite neutral in colour when it comes to white light passing through. Even lenses held as being unusually warm are barely so - only someone really familiar with lenses would notice the difference. They all use optical glass, which is glass designed for purity and transparency.

Now, there are occasional examples, such as really old lenses with discolored balsam cement, or in extreme cases the yellowed lenses that you get from trace radioactive elements used in some types of optical glass in the past. But those are rare.

There's also the matter of slight colour fringing on the edges caused by some wide angle lenses, but that doesn't affect the overall colour of the picture per se.

Compare optical glass to regular "window" glass, which tends to have iron oxide content in it that gives it a green tint. You can really see how green the glass is when seen on edge.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't agree with this. Virtually all lenses are carefully designed to be quite neutral in colour when it comes to white light passing through. Even lenses held as being unusually warm are barely so - only someone really familiar with lenses would notice the difference. They all use optical glass, which is glass designed for purity and transparency.

Now, there are occasional examples, such as really old lenses with discolored balsam cement, or in extreme cases the yellowed lenses that you get from trace radioactive elements used in some types of optical glass in the past. But those are rare.

There's also the matter of slight colour fringing on the edges caused by some wide angle lenses, but that doesn't affect the overall colour of the picture per se.

Compare optical glass to regular "window" glass, which tends to have iron oxide content in it that gives it a green tint. You can really see how green the glass is when seen on edge.
Gotta disagree with you here. Different lenses do indeed differ in the way they resolve colour. It's just a part of the character of different lenses. Compared next to one another, there are noticeable differences in colour temperature. I've worked in the photo industry for close to 20 years and see it all the time. For example I know if we white balance for our strobes when shooting on a Canon L series, then swap to a Zeiss Otus, there will be a noticeable shift toward blue.

Gotta disagree with you here. Different lenses do indeed differ in the way they resolve colour. It's just a part of the character of different lenses. Compared next to one another, there are noticeable differences in colour temperature. I've worked in the photo industry for close to 20 years and see it all the time. For example I know if we white balance for our strobes when shooting on a Canon L series, then swap to a Zeiss Otus, there will be a noticeable shift toward blue.

Yes, but you're talking about really subtle colour shifts, noticeable on film or digital to a trained observer. The sort of thing that most people would never see unless you put two slides or prints side by side and asked people to compare them directly. We were talking about shining a red-filtered light through a lens for a movie prop!

I don't think the minor differences in white balance that can occur with some photographic lenses would make any noticeable difference whatsoever in the case of the HAL lens.

I was starting to feel guilty about all my chatter about my own build in other people's threads so I figured I should start my own thread.

This all snowballed for me after I accidentally stumbled upon some replica HAL lenses for sale on eBay and then got curious about building a HAL 9000 replica.

As I weighed the thought of buying the lenses I started to research the Moebius models HAL 9000 kit that I'd never heard of before and were referenced in the lenses product description. Building a super realistic HAL 9000 suddenly seemed in reach.

Then I remembered that my best friend is a huge 2001 fan and thought "Hmm this might make a good gift idea for him." which then turned into "I should buy two of each so I can build one for him, and one for myself!"

So I bit the bullet and bought two of the replica lenses off eBay (Now sold out) and two of the Moebius kits off of Amazon.

Then I discovered other people's HAL 900 builds here on RPF.

I looked at what other people had done and then decided that maybe the plastic kit wasn't good enough and maybe I should replace much of the kit with upgraded parts (including metal)