My HAL 9000 builds (plural)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

j_holtslander

I'm looking forward to your studies with the modified peephole. Which option will be the winner?
Peephole fits better, is better construction, and easier to integrate into the rest of HAL. But after comparing both again after painting both black and modifying the lenses of the peephole... the cell phone camera lens is still the winner between the two.

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The glass "eBay" lens is pretty good, but doesn't convey the depth of a real camera lens. I roughly emulated the design of the real lens and bought a bunch of lens elements from various Chinese lens manufacturers, and I think it helps a lot in simulating the complex and multi-reflective look of the real thing. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 03.51.44.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 03.51.44.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 41

j_holtslander

The glass "eBay" lens is pretty good, but doesn't convey the depth of a real camera lens. I roughly emulated the design of the real lens and bought a bunch of lens elements from various Chinese lens manufacturers, and I think it helps a lot in simulating the complex and multi-reflective look of the real thing. :)
Well. If I had access to all that I’d probably go that route too.

j_holtslander

It would be interesting to know how those guys did the effect of the reddish/yellow kind of light seen in the lens:unsure:
The original lens contained colored filters in it. They rotated the dial to the red filter (R60 filter) and shined the light bulb through it.
I looked into an R60 filter and then bought a lighting gel sheet from a camera store that was as close as possible. Cut a small circle of it and stuck it inside my lens.

The warm white light passing through red filter material is what makes it look different than just a red LED.

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It would be interesting to know how those guys did the effect of the reddish/yellow kind of light seen in the lens:unsure:

What j_holtslander says. The bright tungsten bulb overwhelmed the thin red filter in the brightest area, and so the yellow light dominated in the centre.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.