HAL 9000 Tricorder

Macnmike

My Favorite Things​

At the end of Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 2), Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey was released in 1968.

I was aged 14 at the time and both have stayed with me for decades.

With my relatively-recent rekindled obsession with the original tricorder, I took these two loves back to the digital workshop.

The base for this mock-up is last year's John Marco/Anthony Russo build.

The display screen is the Discovery One's hibernaculum readout before HAL got whimsical with the slumbering astronauts' life functions. The sensor/speaker grill has been replaced by the perforated form from the film. (I'm still considering changing out the existing lights and T-Jets with hardware from the movie.)

The mid-compartment disc array is now rescaled Brain Room memory cartridges. The fiery bloodshot Eye of HAL has taken over the standard moiré area.
In the mostly-terra incognita of the lower compartment, I've inserted a typical facade panel from the Discovery spacecraft.

My goal is to do a physical construct using a Diamond Select Toys tricorder. The add-ons will be a combination of parts found, fabricated, and 3D printed. Except for possible lighting and/or sound effects, this will be a static build.

You are all encouraged to Comment on the possible future of this mashed-up Love Child.

[Original designs by Wah Ming Chang (23rd Century), Frederick I. Ordway III, Harry Lange, and Tony Masters (for Century 21.]

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• HAL 9000 Tricorder Pop.jpg
    HAL 9000 Tricorder Pop.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 247
Under normal circumstances I would call this a blasphemous crime. But tonight I’m secretly (uh, not-so-secretly) loving it! I’ve been waiting for my Wand tricorder long enough! Spock, open the pod bay doors please!

If you want the correct HAL 9000 logotype and appearance of the lens bezel:

My Favorite Things

At the end of Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 2), Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey was released in 1968.

With my relatively-recent rekindled obsession with the original tricorder, I took these two loves back to the digital workshop.

The display screen is the Discovery One's hibernaculum readout before HAL got whimsical with the slumbering astronauts' life functions. The sensor/speaker grill has been replaced by the perforated form from the film. (I'm still considering changing out the existing lights and T-Jets with hardware from the movie.)

The mid-compartment disc array is now rescaled Brain Room memory cartridges. The fiery bloodshot Eye of HAL has taken over the standard moiré area.

In the mostly-terra incognita of the lower compartment, I've inserted a typical facade panel from the Discovery spacecraft.

My goal is to do a physical construct using a Diamond Select Toys tricorder. The add-ons will be a combination of parts found, fabricated, and 3D printed. Except for possible lighting and/or sound effects, this will be a static build.

You are all encouraged to Comment on the possible future of this mashed-up Love Child.

[Original designs by Wah Ming Chang (23rd Century), Frederick I. Ordway III, Harry Lange, and Tony Masters best. Mike. (for Century 21.]

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• 20230221_093234.jpg
    20230221_093234.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 96

Thanks for the deluge from this positive geyser of info. I don't know if I'll ever be able to come close to the accuracy demanded by the author, but I'll do my darndest. Best. Mike.

My Favorite Things​

[Original designs by Wah Ming Chang (23rd Century), Frederick I. Ordway III, Harry Lange, and Tony Masters (for Century 21.]

Best. Mike.
That is brilliant.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back