My first build attempt ever.

Hey! Looks great! I'm not sure what kind of foam you're using, but I've worked with craft foam a lot and I have a method using Heat n' Bond, which is a sheet of fabric glue you can buy at any sewing store, and heavy fabric.

I first iron on the Heat n Bond to the fabric and then peel off the paper.
Then iron that to the foam. While it's still hot, you can form it into the shape you want and when it cools it's much sturdier and will hold it's shape.

I did Eomer and Sauron this way:

eomerfinished.jpg

foam.jpg

Hey! Looks great! I'm not sure what kind of foam you're using, but I've worked with craft foam a lot and I have a method using Heat n' Bond, which is a sheet of fabric glue you can buy at any sewing store, and heavy fabric.

That's an amazing idea! I'm totally going to have to try that out! You just solved an infuriating enigma for me. Thank you!

Thanks Guri! Im just using hot glue to glue things together. I'm using 6mm craft foam for the outside and 3mm for the inlay/details. I'm using Robo's pep files w/ Stealth's foam templates. Thanks for the scaling tips btw, Stealth, things are lining up and fitting perfectly. I will probably redo the helm, but I am happy w/ the way the forearm turned out so far. Guri, your work is awesome. Love the Sauron!

Hey, glad to be of some use! Fabric glue works well on craft foam too and ironing the foam seals some of the pours to make it take paint better for that leather or metal surface.

If you need some details, paper clay is what I used on both of those and it sticks to the foam pretty well.

One word of warning when ironing the foam, experiment with temperature and length of time. The foam will shrink if it gets too hot and you can burn off the Heat N Bond if you leave the iron on it too long.

The great thing about shaping the foam is you can reheat and reshape several times if you don't get it quite right the first time.

Agreed, it's looking great! How does it feel on?

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Like I said it was a lot more involved getting the bicep together then I thought. May move on to the chest unless anyone has suggestions of some easier areas to do, until I decide to tackle some o the more intensive areas. @Guri I feel like a foam badass with it on. Spent about 10 mins ripping off fake Repulser blasts at the mirror. But to answer your question, it's snug but not tight. I have a good range of motion in it. Thanks again to @Stealth for the scaling tips on your tutorials. They seem to be spot on, but I better not hog-out over the holidays. Nothing worse than fat Iron man. Well, maybe fat Spiderman.

That's great! Glad you were able to make it not just look fantastic, but work for comfort and mobility.

I love foam for that reason - but design counts for comfort too, so bravo there too.

Back