My first build attempt ever.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Jobiwan319, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

You guys really have inspired me to be more creative. Here's my first Ironman attempt. Still need to work out some kinks.

2. pandamajik

pandamajik Member

It looks too short/wide. Are you using Pepakura files for this? Is this foam?

3. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

It's foam 3mm. Used the pep files, but didn't scale em up. This one will undoubtedly become a practice run. But it was fun to do. Top of the head is a pain in the *.

4. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

your should try to heat form it.

5. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

It's starting to look a little better. Anyone w/ tips for foam helms, I'm all ears.

6. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

It's just a heat gun right?

7. SemperBourne

yup. just use a heat gun but don't heat it up for a long time..also dont do it too close to the foam

8. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

The heat form might help contour the dome. The top corners look too boxy. Will it reactivate the hot glue?

9. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You got to start somewhere and you're doing great!

10. dabiddabird

dabiddabird Well-Known Member

Exactly right. You'll improve over time just keep at it.

As for tips, are you cutting angles on the edges of joining pieces? If not that will definitely have better results.

11. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

I'm cutting angles on some pieces but not all of them (joining). Biggest problem I'm having is the top of the helm on each front corner is boxy. Also for the life of me, I can't get a nice flush seam with the face plate and the back of the helm. But it does fit! Snug, which is good, but not too tight.

12. SemperBourne

I did melt the glue alittle when I did it. yes it will reactivate you glue So you would have to be careful with it. If you are going to start over though you should shape it before gluing so there wont be any stress on the foam and glue. But as everyone else said, you are doing great. My first build was boxy but also deformed. with practice you will get better. I am not that good yet lol..but I am practicing and I have noticed how much better I am gluing and cutting after redoing pieces 4 or 5 times lol. Keep it up.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  13. SemperBourne

for those corners, Are you cutting a 45 degree angle on both connecting foam pieces? if you are, maybe cut it at a less angle so that you dont get a 90 degree angle. but then you would have to heat form it..wow..Im actually looking at my helm as I typing this and will probably do it over lol..I have to do the same:lol

14. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Way to jump in there Jobiwan! A great start!
    Good teachers here, but they'll let you learn from your mistakes as well! (Time proven best method going!)

15. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Couldn't agree w/ you more. For guys doing foam helms w/ detached faces plates. Do you construct the entire helm as one piece and then remove the face or do 2 pieces. Man that fit of the faceplate w/ the back is a puzzling mystery, lol.

16. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Thanks for the support, lol. Gotta tell ya, working w/ foam and building this stuff is fun as hell. I have 2 botched helmets, but I'm having a blast.

17. SemperBourne

I havent seen a foam helm with a removable face plate yet. Maybe you can be the first to do it. I know that normal pepakura helms have it but foam would be hard to make the form stay perfectly aligned..If you get it please share how you did it.

18. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Thanks Semper! I cut the face plate somewhat and glued it flush w/ the back. That seemed to really correct the overall shape a lot. Obviously, it's far from perfect but I feel like I'm on the right track for the next helm. I was looking at a few of the res/bondo helms and did the face plate separate because I didn't know any better. Bottom line....the foam won't hold it's shape in two pieces. At least, not that I can figure out yet. Making it all one piece makes sense I just missed the obvious because Ive never done this before. Thanks again for the heads up and tips.

19. Mrs. Atlanthia

Mrs. Atlanthia New Member

Well done for making the giant leap into your first build.....I am still hanging back myself, but hopefully I'll be jumping in to join you soon.

Happy days :)

20. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Forearm done.

21. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Hey! Looks great! I'm not sure what kind of foam you're using, but I've worked with craft foam a lot and I have a method using Heat n' Bond, which is a sheet of fabric glue you can buy at any sewing store, and heavy fabric.

I first iron on the Heat n Bond to the fabric and then peel off the paper.
    Then iron that to the foam. While it's still hot, you can form it into the shape you want and when it cools it's much sturdier and will hold it's shape.

I did Eomer and Sauron this way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. MandaBear

MandaBear New Member

That's an amazing idea! I'm totally going to have to try that out! You just solved an infuriating enigma for me. Thank you!

23. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Thanks Guri! Im just using hot glue to glue things together. I'm using 6mm craft foam for the outside and 3mm for the inlay/details. I'm using Robo's pep files w/ Stealth's foam templates. Thanks for the scaling tips btw, Stealth, things are lining up and fitting perfectly. I will probably redo the helm, but I am happy w/ the way the forearm turned out so far. Guri, your work is awesome. Love the Sauron!

24. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Hey, glad to be of some use! Fabric glue works well on craft foam too and ironing the foam seals some of the pours to make it take paint better for that leather or metal surface.

If you need some details, paper clay is what I used on both of those and it sticks to the foam pretty well.

One word of warning when ironing the foam, experiment with temperature and length of time. The foam will shrink if it gets too hot and you can burn off the Heat N Bond if you leave the iron on it too long.

The great thing about shaping the foam is you can reheat and reshape several times if you don't get it quite right the first time.

25. SemperBourne

your foam arm looks good..very clean work

26. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Bicep done, phew, can't say I'm looking forward to the other one.

27. SemperBourne

wow man. that is some really clean work. looks great so far.

28. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

This is really turning out great. For your first build your doing great. :D Look foreword to seeing the progress. :)

29. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Agreed, it's looking great! How does it feel on?

30. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Like I said it was a lot more involved getting the bicep together then I thought. May move on to the chest unless anyone has suggestions of some easier areas to do, until I decide to tackle some o the more intensive areas. @Guri I feel like a foam badass with it on. Spent about 10 mins ripping off fake Repulser blasts at the mirror. But to answer your question, it's snug but not tight. I have a good range of motion in it. Thanks again to @Stealth for the scaling tips on your tutorials. They seem to be spot on, but I better not hog-out over the holidays. Nothing worse than fat Iron man. Well, maybe fat Spiderman.

31. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

wow man thats looking great... it's really encouraging for me as this might be my next project.

32. Guri

Guri Sr Member

That's great! Glad you were able to make it not just look fantastic, but work for comfort and mobility.

I love foam for that reason - but design counts for comfort too, so bravo there too.