My fiberglass TE "set for stun" TE Helm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin Jax

Sr Member
Well, short of actually getting hold of a realdeal ANH Helmet, I'm getting the peak of the Stormtrooper mountain. A fiberglass......laserscanned.......TE copy of the "set for stun" helmet. Not a replica built by skilled hands or assembled in the approximate way the originals were, but a PERFECT dupe of the real thing.
fghelmet19bp.jpg

Gentle Giant scanned every angle, every crack and crevice, and those who said it couldn't be done, well...
fghelmet20yb.jpg

Think twice :)
The cap has been smoothed for a sleeker feel, and the tube stripes were removed for stick or paint application, but were present in the scan (that's just scary detail :) ) I'm pumped. Jorusfett displayed a pic of his helm in the costume section, and that lucky duck has his painted with piercings cut :) Primer for me at the moment, but I can't wait to show this sucker finished.
fghelmet33mk.jpg

The face is properly slim and pinched, unlike so many blown-out faces on helms. The brow is included in the mold, so no worries about the dang thing slipping, and TE has a perfect process for making the brow appear rubbery :)
Until the unlikely day that someone offers me a full suit of real armor for $50, I will be happy as a clam about this new toy :angel

Helmet.png

That is the scan that *I* commissioned, paid Matt $5k for, and called in personal favors with my friends and business contacts at GG to have done with the explicit understanding it would not be used for these purposes. It is an agreement I have honored without exception, as is my reputation, and I am extremely disappointed to see this collaborative trust betrayed.

There are a few of us who get access to exclusive information, items and projects precisely because we honor such trusts - a lesson that would be well learned by no shortage of self-serving opportunists in this hobby.

_Mike

Funny how data always finds a way of slipping into the wrong hands.

Pirate Movies
3D scans
Battle Station plans

:(

does this mean the origin of this helmet related to others work?
don´t want to bate someone
only want to understand the posting of the scan image right

I don`t get it Mverta, why after all this time are you posting this now.I mean this helmet has been talked about here before and when the prototype was shown you even posted saying that you had the scan done.

Ben

Good lookin' helmet but honestly, the bumps make it nicer. Its too bad they weren't kept the true way...Nice helmet still, but....

<div class='quotetop'>(mverta @ Jun 21 2006, 03:31 AM) [snapback]1264977[/snapback]</div>
That is the scan that *I* commissioned, paid $5k for, and called in personal favors with my friends and business contacts at GG to have done with the explicit understanding it would not be used for these purposes. It is an agreement I have honored without exception, as is my reputation, and I am extremely disappointed to see this collaborative trust betrayed.

There are a few of us who get access to exclusive information, items and projects precisely because we honor such trusts - a lesson that would be well learned by no shortage of self-serving opportunists in this hobby.

_Mike
[/b]

Oh wow. This is news to me. Mike, can you shed a bit more light on this as I believe Matt told me that GG scanned the Mandell (formerly TE2) helmet for their line of mini-busts. From what you have posted, it sounds like this was not the case. I would certainly like to hear the full account of how this helmet came to be.

This was NOT for GG, it was for me, and it wasn't for duplication. I had plans on doing a one-off (still do) of an "ultimate" helmet complete with heads up display and electronics, and all kinds of stuff which I haven't done yet. Matt asked for a copy of the data after the scan, "just to have".

GG did NOT use the scan data for the mini-bust. I have confirmed and double-confirmed this with my friends at GG - they had another source, and didn't want to use our scan for legal reasons, though when we did the scan, they DID ask if they could use it for that and we gave permission. Their decision not to use the data happened after the fact.

The helmet scanned was one of Matt's screen-used helmets (TE2, I think), and I didn't pay GG, I paid Matt, $5k, and flew him down to Los Angeles to have the work done. I hadn't seen this helmet show up on the boards here before today; I had no idea the data was being used. When we agreed to do the scan, Matt and I covered this potentiality explicity - it was a great concern to him that the data precisely NOT be used for creating new helmets, and I promised I would never do so. I never have, and never will.

_Mike

<div class='quotetop'>(mverta @ Jun 21 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1265225[/snapback]</div>
This was NOT for GG, it was for me, and it wasn't for duplication. I had plans on doing a one-off (still do) of an "ultimate" helmet complete with heads up display and electronics, and all kinds of stuff which I haven't done yet. Matt asked for a copy of the data after the scan, "just to have".

GG did NOT use the scan data for the mini-bust. I have confirmed and double-confirmed this with my friends at GG - they had another source, and didn't want to use our scan for legal reasons, though when we did the scan, they DID ask if they could use it for that and we gave permission. Their decision not to use the data happened after the fact.

The helmet scanned was one of Matt's screen-used helmets (TE2, I think), and I didn't pay GG, I paid Matt, $5k, and flew him down to Los Angeles to have the work done. I hadn't seen this helmet show up on the boards here before today; I had no idea the data was being used. When we agreed to do the scan, Matt and I covered this potentiality explicity - it was a great concern to him that the data precisely NOT be used for creating new helmets, and I promised I would never do so. I never have, and never will.

_Mike
[/b]

Wow.... just wow. That is really sad and I am sorry to hear it has turned out that way. Like I said, that is not the story Matt gave me at all. The way he told it to me, HE had at least $4k invested in the helmet. Man, I am really sorry to see/hear this. What a shame.

<div class='quotetop'>(Brak's Buddy @ Jun 21 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1265242[/snapback]</div>
The way he told it to me, HE had at least $4k invested in the helmet. Man, I am really sorry to see/hear this. What a shame.
[/b]

I'm sure Matt had at least $4k "invested" in the original helmet... or any produced helmets after the fact, for that matter... but I don't know and it isn't relevant. What he spent acquiring the original isn't in question here, nor what he might have spent after the scan. What I was adressing - what I was disappointed to see - was a violation of the agreement between him and me, and that's it. If I'd known about it sooner, I'd have said something sooner. But as it is, there's nothing to "do".

_Mike

well, as he is a banned member and you are a member in good standing, you surely could have some weight as to how this is discussed here on the RPF. We are the largest, perhaps the most important prop forum on the 'net. While not denting sales (As all sales were done off board) you could definitely hamper his cred...

I thought TE's banning was self-imposed. If so, does that make him a bad person?

It certainly does not make him a bad person, but banned is banned, self-imposed or otherwise. As a community, we should support our members in good standing. That is all I'm saying, maybe poorly, but that was my intention. Basically, we are not allowed to showcase the wares of a banned member and since this helmet project now seems to be derived from one of our own, I think that perhaps its times for the mods to step in and take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back