My fiberglass TE "set for stun" TE Helm!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jumpin Jax, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Well, short of actually getting hold of a realdeal ANH Helmet, I'm getting the peak of the Stormtrooper mountain. A fiberglass......laserscanned.......TE copy of the "set for stun" helmet. Not a replica built by skilled hands or assembled in the approximate way the originals were, but a PERFECT dupe of the real thing.
    [​IMG]
    Gentle Giant scanned every angle, every crack and crevice, and those who said it couldn't be done, well...
    [​IMG]
    Think twice :)
    The cap has been smoothed for a sleeker feel, and the tube stripes were removed for stick or paint application, but were present in the scan (that's just scary detail :) ) I'm pumped. Jorusfett displayed a pic of his helm in the costume section, and that lucky duck has his painted with piercings cut :) Primer for me at the moment, but I can't wait to show this sucker finished.
    [​IMG]
    The face is properly slim and pinched, unlike so many blown-out faces on helms. The brow is included in the mold, so no worries about the dang thing slipping, and TE has a perfect process for making the brow appear rubbery :)
    Until the unlikely day that someone offers me a full suit of real armor for $50, I will be happy as a clam about this new toy :angel

2. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful. Can't wait to see that puppy finished. Awesome score.

3. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Cool...

Now how can I get one???

FB

4. OhioAstromech

OhioAstromech Well-Known Member

Same here, Where do you get one of these.
    It looks better than the Shepperton Design Studios Helmet.

5. mverta

mverta Sr Member

[​IMG]

That is the scan that *I* commissioned, paid Matt $5k for, and called in personal favors with my friends and business contacts at GG to have done with the explicit understanding it would not be used for these purposes. It is an agreement I have honored without exception, as is my reputation, and I am extremely disappointed to see this collaborative trust betrayed.

There are a few of us who get access to exclusive information, items and projects precisely because we honor such trusts - a lesson that would be well learned by no shortage of self-serving opportunists in this hobby.

_Mike

6. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

Ooop... I think someone's in trouble. :confused

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Funny how data always finds a way of slipping into the wrong hands.

Pirate Movies
    3D scans
    Battle Station plans

:(

8. PMTrooper

PMTrooper Active Member

does this mean the origin of this helmet related to others work?
    don´t want to bate someone
    only want to understand the posting of the scan image right

9. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don`t get it Mverta, why after all this time are you posting this now.I mean this helmet has been talked about here before and when the prototype was shown you even posted saying that you had the scan done.

Ben

10. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good lookin' helmet but honestly, the bumps make it nicer. Its too bad they weren't kept the true way...Nice helmet still, but....

11. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

<div class='quotetop'>(mverta @ Jun 21 2006, 03:31 AM) [snapback]1264977[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow. This is news to me. Mike, can you shed a bit more light on this as I believe Matt told me that GG scanned the Mandell (formerly TE2) helmet for their line of mini-busts. From what you have posted, it sounds like this was not the case. I would certainly like to hear the full account of how this helmet came to be.

12. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

I'd second that. If this was for GG, why would you have to pay for it? :confused

13. mverta

mverta Sr Member

This was NOT for GG, it was for me, and it wasn't for duplication. I had plans on doing a one-off (still do) of an "ultimate" helmet complete with heads up display and electronics, and all kinds of stuff which I haven't done yet. Matt asked for a copy of the data after the scan, "just to have".

GG did NOT use the scan data for the mini-bust. I have confirmed and double-confirmed this with my friends at GG - they had another source, and didn't want to use our scan for legal reasons, though when we did the scan, they DID ask if they could use it for that and we gave permission. Their decision not to use the data happened after the fact.

The helmet scanned was one of Matt's screen-used helmets (TE2, I think), and I didn't pay GG, I paid Matt, $5k, and flew him down to Los Angeles to have the work done. I hadn't seen this helmet show up on the boards here before today; I had no idea the data was being used. When we agreed to do the scan, Matt and I covered this potentiality explicity - it was a great concern to him that the data precisely NOT be used for creating new helmets, and I promised I would never do so. I never have, and never will.

_Mike

14. NEKROFANATIC

Thus, it begs the question...Who is selling this helmet?

15. Art Andrews

<div class='quotetop'>(mverta @ Jun 21 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1265225[/snapback]</div>
    Wow.... just wow. That is really sad and I am sorry to hear it has turned out that way. Like I said, that is not the story Matt gave me at all. The way he told it to me, HE had at least $4k invested in the helmet. Man, I am really sorry to see/hear this. What a shame.

16. mverta

mverta Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Brak's Buddy @ Jun 21 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1265242[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure Matt had at least $4k "invested" in the original helmet... or any produced helmets after the fact, for that matter... but I don't know and it isn't relevant. What he spent acquiring the original isn't in question here, nor what he might have spent after the scan. What I was adressing - what I was disappointed to see - was a violation of the agreement between him and me, and that's it. If I'd known about it sooner, I'd have said something sooner. But as it is, there's nothing to "do".

_Mike

17. NEKROFANATIC

well, as he is a banned member and you are a member in good standing, you surely could have some weight as to how this is discussed here on the RPF. We are the largest, perhaps the most important prop forum on the 'net. While not denting sales (As all sales were done off board) you could definitely hamper his cred...

18. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I thought TE's banning was self-imposed. If so, does that make him a bad person?

19. NEKROFANATIC

It certainly does not make him a bad person, but banned is banned, self-imposed or otherwise. As a community, we should support our members in good standing. That is all I'm saying, maybe poorly, but that was my intention. Basically, we are not allowed to showcase the wares of a banned member and since this helmet project now seems to be derived from one of our own, I think that perhaps its times for the mods to step in and take a look.

20. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. mverta

mverta Sr Member

I'm a bottom-line type of guy...

Banned by mods is different than, "I'm outta here." These are obviously great helmets... how could they NOT be? And nobody's going to stop ordering them just because they're ill-gotten gains from a broken trust. That sort of courageous stand-up moral fiber you only read about in history books anymore.

And it's not going to damage Matt's "rep" because people only care about rep when it means they might lose money. And the truth is, perhaps Matt has a flawless reputation outside of my deal with him. I don't know, and I don't care. I can't speak to that, and he's not here to defend himself. On the other hand, what I've detailed here is not an accusation, it's a statement of fact, and there's no debate to have. It's disappointing, tough sh*t for me, end of story. But as I said before, if people don't think there's a value in having honor and trustworthiness, they'll never get the keys to the castle. And that, too, is a fact.

_Mike

22. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

that is the most honourable statement i´ve heard for a long time.
    REALLY, i mean it.

your point is that this story is a man-to-man thing between you and matt. no need to be handled from people not included to this.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

23. Art Andrews

<div class='quotetop'>(mverta @ Jun 21 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1265276[/snapback]</div>
    Mike,

You are absolutely right that you making this known will not stop Matt from making money off your project and it won't stop people who know from buying it, but what it had done is shed light on just what type of individual Matt is and what he is capable of. Thank you for sharing this and making the public at large aware. What they do with this info is for them to decide, but I think it is commendable that you have pointed out the facts behind this.

And just for the record... even outside of this deal, Matt's reputation is far from flawless.

24. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

holy...

well guys let me give ya this to chew on...

if nobody did shady things... none of you would have replicas of screen used OT SW stuff.

sorry.

i mean how many times to collectors that have screen used pieces in there private collection and actually want something they payed out the nose for carbon copied and sold to the masses? (not alot)

heres a tip.

when dealing with screen used SW pieces, just let it be a "you understood" type thing... it WILL be reproduced.

now do i think its morrally right... HELL NO.

im just stating facts.

it just gets me all the honor and trust that gets thrown around... let me ask you this... how much did you pay lucasfilm for those scans? get it in writing? cause you would have a case if you did...

sorry, i feel like im comming to jumpinjax defense here, cause this thread sure does make him look bad, even though you stated that your beef was with matt... hey JJ just wanted to enjoy the same thing you did... and it does suck that you payed out the nose while others will pay a fraction of that to get the same thing.

dont get me wrong, if all you say is true, matt did you wrong. period.

but all you can do is contact him with a big ol WTF? and tell him that you desrve your investment back, seeing as he will make that 10 times over if he makes a bunch of these things.

heck man, good luck.

25. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Matt G's response...

[link removed by synasp]
    TE is a banned member, so posting a link to his words is giving him a voice here (although I understand the intent of posting the link is to shed light on the issue, but please refer to what I said earlier)

26. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ouch. Since I was referenced in that post, here is my response:

I don't know why you choose to attack me.
    But I will defend myself.

Until I see a pic of a trooper helmet that can match the pedigree of either of the 2 following helmets, I'm still the undisputed heavyweight trooper helmet champion. Be sure to carefully read the list of features.

ANH STUNT TROOPER HELMET

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the features that the originals had that I've incorporated into my STUNT version:
    I tried to match as closely as possible TE 2nd original helmet (Dave M helmet).

- Painted finish.
    - Correct thickness. (It's very thin.)
    - Faceplate taken from TE 1st original helmet (Brian R helmet).
    - Cap/back taken from TE 1st original helmet, bumps/texture included.
    - Earcaps taken from TE 2nd original helmet (the one that was identified on screen.) . Correct shape and size.
    - Accurate brow trim.
    - Accurate neck trim.
    - Cast from original hovi-mix mic tips accurately assembeled and detailed.
    - ALL hand painted details. NO DECALS anywhere.
    - Green lens material attached at the earcap screws.
    - Correctly shaped yellow foam head insert.
    - Accurate chin straps.

ANH HERO TROOPER HELMET

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the features that the originals had that I've incorporated into my HERO version:
    I tried to match as closely as possible the promo hero trooper. The one used for the cardboard standee and found in the Chronicles. This trooper was also extensively used in the film.

- Accurate color and gloss level plastic. Unpainted.
    - Correct thickness. (It's very thin.)
    - Faceplate taken from TE 1st original helmet, slightly altered to be ANH hero accurate.
    - Cap/back taken from TE 1st original helmet, bumps/texture removed and details sharpened to hero specs.
    - ANH hero accurate earcaps derived from TE 2nd original helmet (the one that was identified on screen.) . Correct shape and size as well as 3 humps on the grey block instead of 4. (I'm pretty sure I made that discovery). :D
    - Accurate brow trim.
    - Accurate neck trim.
    - Cast from original hovi-mix mic tips accurately assembeled and detailed.
    - ALL hand painted details. NO DECALS anywhere.
    - Green bubble lenses
    - Correctly shaped yellow foam head insert.
    - Accurate chin straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. mverta

mverta Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(TK1536 @ Jun 21 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]1265489[/snapback]</div>
    His response is all over the map, but I'll try and sort through it:

1) Apparently he drove to LA, instead of flying. Okay, I don't remember that, but come to think of it, maybe he wouldn't fly with it? Who knows. His travel arrangements are of tangential concern here, I think...

2) He says I wasn't there when the GG artist asked to use the scan. He's right, I wasn't there. The "artist" called me on the phone shortly thereafter, and told me they wanted to use the scan. He said Matt was cool with it. I already said this; I've never said they didn't ask to use the scan. I said they DID, and sometime after that, they decided not to use it for some reason. He goes on to talk about further compensation/arrangements with GG that I have no knowledge of. I didn't know he'd asked them for compensation or anything. Frankly, I don't collect busts so I didn't care. I think here he's defending a point I didn't make, and isn't germaine. I know they thought he was kind of a kook, but hey, aren't we all.

3) He mentions a "super secret deal" I had with GG? Does anybody know where he got this, what it's about, or how it's relevant? I don't know of any such deal.

4) He says we never had a verbal agreement not to use the scan. Of course, we did, and now it's "He Said/He Said". Great. Of course, if he's telling the truth, then it means I bothered even mentioning it here for apparently no reason, and with nothing to gain. I've not asked for money, nor for runs to stop, I just said I was disappointed, and I am. Additionally, he copy and pasted an email (by the way, isn't that dirty pool?) in which I'm calmly telling him I saw the scan mentioned here and was concerned because clearly it wasn't supposed to be public knowledge. Now, I'm no Columbo, but isn't that email actually reinforcing my point that we had a deal?. I didn't make an outright accusation in the email because at the time, it was mentioning the scan, NOT the production of helmets. But even the knowledge of it publicly surprised me.

5) He goes on to say that apparently I think he's making "tons of money" off the helmets. I have never addressed, in any way, what he is or isn't making off the helmets. I've never brought up money, or the runs themselves. EVER. I don't want any money.

6) Apparently, if I'd gotten the scan done sooner, it would've been $1500 instead of $5k. Okay, if he says so. I never regretted the 5k and never asked for anything, so I don't know how that's relevant.

Matt's certainly right when he says there is truth and there is whole truth. And the truth is that he has a lot to lose - apparently - by being called on this, whereas I have nothing to gain. I only happened upon this thread by accident, and have since learned it's been around awhile, and I had an explicit agreement with Matt not to use the data in this way. He was INTENSELY concerned about me doing precisely what he's done with the data.

In situations like this, I think it's wise to look at who stands to lose and who stands to gain. I have asked for nothing, and want nothing. I have not mentioned it to defame or slander Matt, who prior to my knowing of this, was totally solid with me. It's too late to do anything, and I've asked for nothing to be done. I posted to express my disappointment, which has now unfortunately been compounded with being called a liar.

Our deal was not to use the data in this manner. And despite his violation of that agreement, I will continue to honor it.

I am disappointed by his response, but I suppose no longer surprised. Why wouldn't a person who would betray an agreement like that not just go the next level, deny everything and call me a liar? The answer is, he would, and did.

Oddly enough, we're right back to where we were at the end of my original post. Matt broke our agreement, and tough sh*t for me. End of story. One thing I will say, though, Matt... karma's a bitch. But only if you have a conscience.

_Mike

P.S. Just one little bit of SWEET, sweet irony... earlier I had prepared another post - I didn't bother posting it, in the end - in which one of the things I mentioned was that sometimes in exchange for getting "inner sanctum" info and items, we have to keep our mouths shut. We have to honor confidences. I went on to say that we have a choice to make in those instances: what's more important to us, being "king of the hill" on some forum, or having a piece that we alone get to fawn over from time as part of our collection without being able to use it for bragging rights, lest we betray a trust. I'd say Matt's attack on Gino as "always following in [Matt's] shadow" says about as clearly as you could ask for, exactly what Matt's in it for. Hint: it isn't to honor confidences.

28. Art Andrews

:(:( Just a sad sad situation. The worst part for me is just knowing how many will brush it under the rug and move on as if nothing ever happened.

BTW, Gino, helmets are looking as beautiful as always and are simply second to none but the real thing. It is equally sad to see Matt frothing like a rabid dog and slinging arrows anywhere and everywhere he can hoping that he will raise himself by bringing others down...

29. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Verta,

I am not picking sides.

I wanted to ask, why did you want the scans enough to pay 5k?

Other than creating a future helmet, what good is that data?

Thanks

30. GINO

Thanks Braks.
    I never really frequented the sandtrooper.net forum until tonight.
    I see a lot of opportunity for some mass re-educating on what's screen accurate and what's not. It's just that it would be a full time job calling Matt on all the BS being posted over there. I just don't have the energy anymore. Lucky for him, sad for anyone else being taken advantage of.

31. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jun 21 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]1265519[/snapback]</div>
    I re-read the post and don't see any reference to you. Where is it at?

FB

32. GINO

I think they must have removed it because Matt was doing what he does on other forums that gets him banned.

Edit: I changed the name to Matt because I can't bring myself to call him by his board name. Makes me feel ingenuine.

33. mverta

mverta Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormy320 @ Jun 21 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1265622[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, there was absolutely a plan (still is) to use the data to create a one-off helmet for myself. Actually, Matt and I agreed he would get one too. I wanted to create a helmet with the full works in electronics and construction, on a scale that hasn't been done before. I'm about 50% through the design work, but it's expensive, so it went on the "long term project" shelf. In any case, the opportunity to have a screen-used helmet scanned was simply too good to pass up at the time. The agreement not to reproduce it en masse was initiated by Matt, for what I thought at the time were great reasons. And I've honored them.

_Mike

34. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Hey guys, please let me remind everyone that TE is a banned member, and banned members aren't supposed to be discussed unless there's some sort of scam going on, or something of that sort.

This particular issue is unique in that I've never encountered its type... it's similar to a scam, but at the same time a banned member is being discussed in a way that supposes he have room to reply, which he can't. Part of the reason why we don't allow discussion of banned members is because they cannot reply to comments regarding them. But again, at the same time, in this particular case, there are hints of "irregularities" between TE and mverta, which we've made room for some discussion in the past...

Interesting situation, regardless. It seems like mverta has said what he wanted to say, and there's enough of the "other side of the story" for everyone to make a judgement however they like. In that sense, I don't see dire necessity to continue discussion.

Please keep in mind TE is a banned member, so any plug for his products are absolutely not allowed. Add that this thread is in the prop forum, meaning no interest/sale taking. Other than that, I prefer smooth over bumpy. ;)

If you have any questions or comments, please PM me or any of the mods. Move along... move along...

35. mverta

mverta Sr Member

Yes, for the record, I have nothing new to add to any of this.

_Mike

36. Predatormv

Predatormv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow Gino I love those Hero helemts. They look amazing. Too bad they aren't being produced anymore.

PS the Stunts look great too I am just more a hero fan.

37. TK8410

TK8410 Well-Known Member

Those Stunt and Hero helmets do indeed look great GINO...

BUT...

this: <div class='quotetop'></div>
    = this:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes

Cheers, Gord.

38. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(TK8410 @ Jun 22 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]1266019[/snapback]</div>
    = this:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes

Cheers, Gord.
    [/b][/quote]
    You know, that looks painful, wow

39. _Lee_

_Lee_ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great helmets Gino :) Is the damaged one a screen used piece? Sorry to ask a silly question but still trying to learn :$

Im hoping to buy a top notch replica in the future sometime,and id have to say id prefer the ones which are made using seperate pieces.Although the fibreglass one looks good,it just doesnt scream out to me becaus there are no nooks and crannys so to say ;) I wouldnt be too concerned about the paint runs etc,but the gaps on the ears etc,adds so much to piece itself.

40. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(_Lee_ @ Jun 22 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1266065[/snapback]</div>

damaged?

heck that thing looks great for screen used ANH. ;)

and to gord.... who makes a more accurate ANH TK?

otherwise...

let me just say that i am a ANH TK fanatic, i know more than anyone who isnt trying to reproduce them should know (ask Gino, or paul) and i have to say that after talking to Gino a few times, the little details that he shed light onto that even i didnt know, and probably very few people in the entire world know...

hell AA cant even reproduce accurate buckets... not to open a can of worms, but anyone who thinks anything of the new AA stuff is even comparable to Ginos above 2 helmets... is wrong, and litterally i wouldnt even engage in conversation with them because of how wrong they are right out of the gate.

yes, maybe he needs to curb the cockyness :p but the guy knows his ANH TK stuff better than most of us know the back of our hands, the people who dissagree have personal differences with him, not valid tech arguments.

sorry to step on your toes if i did G, but i KNOW you know what your talkin about, and im stickin by that, and still to this day have never shared the info/pics etc. that you so graciously shared with me. ;) and not that its anything different than what he is sayin here, his research has just led him to many little things about the originals that would blow your mind.

and then you have a guy like andrew thats like... "IM THE MAN... now what did these things look like?"

sorry but its true.

i hate to be the bearer of truth here so much, its my downfall in life...

honesty.

41. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jun 22 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]1265643[/snapback]</div>
    Gino, with all due respect, judging from your reception at sandtrooper.net I think "mass re-educating" is a little bit of an over-statment. Sorry to jump at it, but it makes all users there sound like ignorant dopes, even though I'm sure that wasn't your intention. Many users there are also users here, so again I think it's a little over the top to say members there don't know what's screen-accurate and whats not. If you take a moment and search for your name, it would come up more often than you think, and always in a positive light. I am glad you joined because you have a lot to contribute, and I hope you continue to post there in the future beyond your go-round with Matt.

42. RKW

RKW Sr Member

I have seen plenty of members helmets here at the RPF who own bumpy cap TE helmets that are painted, have the correct Hovi mic tips and trim etc. Now considering no one TK helmet was a like in appearance what makes Gino the undisputed champion??

I don't doubt Gino's knowledge and passion for the hobby but jesus that guys ego could knock the earth off its axis.

43. Helmetman

Helmetman Well-Known Member

"I'm still the undisputed heavyweight trooper helmet champion"

:lol :lol :lol

Modest too Gino. You crack me up.

Cheers,
    Steve

RKW.....let him have his ego.

I'm guessing he hasn't got much else going on other than getting lids very, very accurate.

:D

44. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 21 2006, 03:24 AM) [snapback]1264891[/snapback]</div>
    So has anyone actually signed up for one of these 'definitive, ultimate, next best thing to a screenused' helmets?

No offence, but there's a LOT of work required to make it look like a *proper* stormtrooper helmet:

* Make a line with a scribe or Dremel along where the earcaps should be seperate from the faceplate. Could be easier said than done :unsure

* Dremel off the moulded-on brow trim and replace with rubber trim. I don't care what rubber-effect paint Matt has - it will still look weird

* Drill holes in the earcaps and add screws

Also, I wonder why the aerators weren't included with the scan? Did he have them removed beforehand? The earcaps had already been removed to make moulds for his vac-form helmets' earcaps, so I really can't understand why they weren't removed for this scan, and scanned seperatly?.?. :rolleyes

It's an interesting demonstration of what laser-scanning technology is capable of, but a one-piece fibreglass helmet is little more than a novelty IMO, and won't be taken seriously by those who want an authentic replica of the movie helmets.

Cheers,
    John

45. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jun 25 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]1267735[/snapback]</div>
    I mentioned the dremel as a joke to some members of the Rebelscum boards, not as something I would dare. ;)
    Screws in the earcaps.......that's a pretty good idea. May I use it? (no more warring over rights and theft on this thread, please :thumbsup )
    Sure it's a novelty, and so is a stormtrooper helmet that isn't authentic. We could all strive for the real thing, and 99.9999999% of us will never get it. Even with the limitations of construction, it IS proportionally perfect. Nothing was disasembled or rearranged, there's no margin of error on the object. Yeah the gaps are lost, but I'm not really missing it. Gaps kinda bugged me, really.
    That also means it won't creak whenever you move like with a styrene bucket (drove me up a wall...) Not to mention that the helmets were assembled to look as if they were one piece. Gaps are flaws, ones that Mollo and crew would gladly have avoided given the chance. Do you remember how many people HATE the bumps and flaws, complained about them on this very forum? It never ended. The one detail that didn't get condomned by the collecting public was the screwy eye, for whatever reason.
    The cool thing about these is that since there's no vacuum forming or cutting involved to make them, they are truly identical. Every one is the same. No maker could ever truly grab that claim; there were always minor discrepancies or problems with the mold that required revision or a deeper cut. Worse still were molds that were such a pain that helmets had cracks to be repaired before they were even shipped.
    It's uncompromising, unaltered save for the bumps. I grant you, I kinda wished the tube stripes had been left on, as they, like the rest of it were formed in the exact location. :unsure Such is life. I don't know about the mic tips but I will ask. Anything else you'd like to know?

46. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 25 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]1267740[/snapback]</div>
    True, but where do you 'draw the line'? I'm sure Mollo and his crew would've liked the Stormtrooper helmets to be symmetrical too, but as we all know, they weren't. And a symmetrical helmet looks great to the casual observer, who was willing to pay the $800 or whatever Don Post used to charge for their Deluxe Stormtrooper helmets.
    Granted this new helmet from Matt isn't symmetrical, but the one-piece construction, missing bumps, gaps etc., moulded-on brow trim are all features that simply don't appeal to the well-informed stormtrooper enthusiast, but would go unnoticed by the average Star Wars fan.

If anything, he's pitching this concept to the wrong market and at the wrong pricepoint. IMO this helmet can't be viewed as an alternative to an SDS / GINO / Authenticprops or TE2 (from the new owner of the moulds)... although it *is* a step-up from an Armor F/X helmet I suppose :p

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 25 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]1267740[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I don't buy that. Over the years I've owned replica helmets from Armor F/X, GF, Authenticprops, SDS and Matt.... only *one* of them had cracks which had been glued and filled-in before I received it, and that was the helmet I received from Matt.
    Therefore, this is not a problem which is unavoidable with vac-formed helmets, but is simply sloppy workmanship :thumbsdown
    I'm not attacking him for this however, but it's NOT an argument for making trooper helmets in fibreglass instead of vac-formed plastic. :rolleyes

Cheers,
    John

47. _Lee_

_Lee_ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think TE made a mistake with the timing of these,seeing as MR are going to be releasing a similar item for probably a lot less money :confused This to me,is no more than an idealized helmet and doesnt look right.

I suppose this is a case of apples and oranges really,it depends what you want and how close to the real thing you want it to be.An example of this is Johns ESB trooper blaster that he is kindly making replicas of for some people(me included :D ).I looked at a MR blaster,but IMO it looks way to clean and idealized to what was seen on screen.I stopped my hunt for one of the MR after i saw Johns ESB replica complete with all the nooks and crannys of his original,and IMO it adds so much more to the replica itself.Ok,the original may have been put together using somewhat indifferent techniques to nowadays,but it has more of a story behind it and looks amazing IMO.The same can be said for Gino,TE and SDS helmets which all have their own unique historys behind them.

However nice this helmet looks,the construction just doesnt do it for me,and reminds me of some of the FG helmets that are seen on Ebay now and again.I remember seeing a thread here a while ago about one of the FG helmets on Ebay,and most couldnt bear the fact that the ears were molded/sculpted onto the helmet.

One last thing i have to ask,i thought TE had retired?

Jesus,this Stormtrooper prop lark is hard work ;)

48. PMTrooper

PMTrooper Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(_Lee_ @ Jun 25 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]1267780[/snapback]</div>

agree with that
    think this one is just a mix up between screen accurate and modern thinking
    + sharpnes
    - details

imo going for an GINO/TE for a screen accurate bucket
    or a MR for a collector helmet

49. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    He's not only supposedly retired, but he's also considered a banned member here. And although there are generally two sides to every story, it also sounds like he may be messing with one of our current members. :unsure

We won't allow current runs of banned members to be promoted on the RPF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.