My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: My Builds: Rey Staff, Blasters, Hilts, Medal, Necklace, Dice, etc

Did you sand any of those parts for the staff?

The only thing I had to sand was little bits at one end of each part where the cast was poured into the mold. I used a mouse sander for quick removal. Since it was going be texturized and weathered, I did not not do any other prep work other than a soapy wash.

My next project is is a Boba Debt Active Project Solo Hoth Blaster

IMG_3122.JPG

A lot of work has already been done by Boba Debt. I really only have the finishing to do. There is already a great aluminum black base on the blaster.

As I often do, I am putting a lot of thought into how I want the blaster to look. I am more of an idealized prop replica guy. I do not care as much as how a modified MGC Mauser prop looked in the hands of Harrison Ford. I care more about how a DH-44 Blaster looked in the hands of Han Solo. For instance, A lot of people believe the muzzle of this blaster has the knurling drawn on. Even if true, I doubt Han Solo would drawn lines on his blaster muzzle. While this drawn detail is screen accurate, it is not the detail I want on a piece displayed in my collection. That's not a knock on anyone who strives for that level of detail I their own collection. It is simply a personal preference of my own collection.

So my challenge is how to balance details of the prop into a realistic blaster display piece. My thinking is that the main body of the weapon is one color. The body also includes the model part detail. Although the real prop might have those parts a different sheen of black when compared to the black of the body of the MGC, mine will be one single color. I plan on doing a fine coat of black paint with a brushing of graphite powder and then matte sealer. Then a little bit of light weathering o the edges.

The scope and the scope bracket will be different blacks. I will leave the scope pretty much as is (has a sheen to it), just weather the edges. The mount will be flat black and weathered at the edges.

I am going to try something different wit the muzzle. Usually I would just leave it bare and then use Aluminum Black for scoring effects. However I plan to do a base coat of black, then a coat of aluminum. I will then carefully wet sand the muzzle in areas to expose the black layer of paint in some areas and the bare metal in others. My hopes is that I can achieve an idealized look that will capture the look of the draw on details in a way that will look more realistic (in an in-universe sort of way). The appropriate scoring and weathering.

Of course... plans tend to go out he window when things go wrong and frustration takes over.

Last edited:

The real prop used a dusting of black rattle can speckles, and from far away it looks grey!

I used black spry paint and aluminum black together, and they don't like to mix. right along the transition of spray paint to AB theres a line where the AB wouldn't make contact with the paint, kinda like when something is hydrophobic and sheds water. weird.

I'm with you on the idealized version. I have some props done idealized, some done with prop accuracy in mind, and seeing some of those bits that make the prop more accurate, e.g. paint runs, kind of takes away from what it's supposed to represent, to ME.

For me it also depends on the prop as well. I can be forgiving for some more than others. Like even though I have the cut up pieces for my Hoth blaster, I'm think of using the retaining caps or whatever their called lol.

Will be watching to see your build! I need to post my WIP lol.

@The9791, it looks really noticeable on the muzzle too, like it was deliberately oversprayed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Received this today from Solo's Hold...

IMG_3123.JPG

Been waiting a long time for someone to do a run of these. This is just an assembly job. Although it would be super cool to have these pimped out with LEDs and blades, the expense and efforts would be wasted in my collection. Like most of my hilts, they will be static. Should have them finished soon, just waiting on some questions answered before I proceed further,

Finished the Ahsoka dual hilts. Not much too it. I did a little extra like putting Aluminum Black on the the aluminum switches on the side in order to hide them. I would still like to get some blade plugs for them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2363.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2363.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,481
Re: My Builds: Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Blasters, Hilts, Medal, Necklace, Dice, etc

I was looking into getting blade plugs for the Ahsoka hilts. The ones made for the project would cost me $74 ($35+$35+$4 shipping). They are super nice but they are made so that internal lighting makes them glow. Since mine is going to be a static hilt, I felt that the expense would be wasted on features i would never utilize,

So with the cost of under $3 for some spacers and fender washers from the hardware store, some flat black paint and some old Ikea cabinet knobs i had laying around, I made my own blade plugs.

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3134.jpg

Re: My Builds: Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Blasters, Hilts, Medal, Necklace, Dice, etc

Started working on the Solo Hoth Blaster.

First thing I wanted to work on was the muzzle to see if i could achieve the look I wanted.

I think a lot of people on this project went one of two ways. They either went with accurate (prevailing theory) and no knurling and drew on the knurling. Or they went total idealized with double row knurling. I instead went with a third option... single row knurling. Not sure who else chose this option on a Solo Hoth blaster.

fullsizeoutput_2429.jpegfullsizeoutput_242a.jpegfullsizeoutput_242b.jpeg

Like I stated before, I am not going for an accurate prop look but instead an idealized look.

The challenge for me was how do I capture prop details of the muzzle without cheapening the look of the blaster with painted silver muzzle and and draw on knurling and translate it into an idealized look.

First thing I did was wet sand the muzzle with 600 grit paper. This did two things: It dulled the finish as to give it a matte appearance closer to that of painted resin (which is also the prevailing theory of what the real prop part might be) and prepped the base for the application of Aluminum Black (love that stiff).

The next thing I did was coat the entire muzzle with Aluminum Black until the whole thing was solid black. I then used the wetland paper to to remove the AB until I was happy with what remained to replicate weathering and carbon scoring. I removed all the AB from the raised knurling leaving nice straight and spaced black lines around the diameter. I then used a wooden toothpick to scrape out AB in the recessed area of the knurling. I scraped around the diameter in the middle of the knurled row in an uneven manner to convey the look of the uneven lines on the real prop.

I'm happy with how it looks. I am afraid to keep fiddling with it. I am considering using a matte craft spray on sealer.

Finished the Solo Hoth Blaster

Here are some photos. I may try to take more tomorrow in the sunlight as to better capture the graphite power affect on the Denix and some of the other details.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_3148.JPGIMG_3149.JPGIMG_3150.JPG

There is limited use of paint on the blaster as the main body and muzzle is the combination of Aluminum Black and powered graphite.

The scope was painted with what appears to be a satin black (by Boba Debt). The resin greeblies was painted with flat black and then coated with graphite powder. The scope mount was painted flat black. I lightly wetsanded the grips and then rubbed them with black acrylic paint to age them. I used Aluminum Black and gold acrylic paint on the three holed disk. Anything that was graphite powder coated and the muzzle was sprayed with a clear matte craft sealer.

I used silicon cement to help reinforce the position of the the adjustable sight, wood grips, and scope mount attach point.

UPDATE...

Picture in the sunlight...

attachment.php

fullsizeoutput_242c.jpeg

UPDATE: Closed up the gap o the knurling...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Re: My Builds: Hoth Blaster, Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Hilts, Medal, Necklace, Dice, e

Hoth Blaster looks great,

my parts just arrived in the U.K. so after a long prop building hiatus I'm thinking how I'm going to do mine :lol

I also went for the single band Hoth Flash Hider & I'd been wondering if that was the right move until I saw yours which looks awesome

Re: My Builds: Hoth Blaster, Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Hilts, Medal, Necklace, Dice, e

looks great MJF!! what black paint did you use for the denix?!
Thank you.

None on the Denix itself.

I had Bobadebt strip it and then apply Aluminum Black. I then brushed on powdered graphite to give it more of a gunmetal sheen and then sprayed it with a coat of clear matte craft sealer.

All the other uses of paints and other finishes are listed in my post: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=210211&page=10&p=4111229&viewfull=1#post4111229

IMG_3153.JPG

Picked up these items at Target for the after Halloween 50% sale. With the sale, tax and another 5% off using the Red Card, total was under $22.

For the helmet, I'd like to seal up the seam, replace the lens, and repaint to the bloody finger streaked and weathered Finn version.

The blaster will be a Rebels variant. I am aware the the E-11s in the show are suppose to be the same as those used in the movies but if people can male a Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber, I can do this. I might keep it simple and just clean up the seams, fill screw holes, paint, and weather. I am also considering removing the faux sling ring and holder on the rear and replace it with real ring. I am also considering removing the scope for a better replica. Nothing too fancy, maybe resin. Just something with a touch more detail.

View attachment 679289

Picked up these items at Target for the after Halloween 50% sale. With the sale, tax and another 5% off using the Red Card, total was under $22.

For the helmet, I'd like to seal up the seam, replace the lens, and repaint to the bloody finger streaked and weathered Finn version.

The blaster will be a Rebels variant. I am aware the the E-11s in the show are suppose to be the same as those used in the movies but if people can male a Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber, I can do this. I might keep it simple and just clean up the seams, fill screw holes, paint, and weather. I am also considering removing the faux sling ring and holder on the rear and replace it with real ring. I am also considering removing the scope for a better replica. Nothing too fancy, maybe resin. Just something with a touch more detail.

Awesome, I love those Rebels E-11's but I seem to me in a minority around here on this, I know they're a little undersized but they're pretty accurate to how they look in the series,

when I did mine I pretty much did what you described, I cut out the infill around the scope rail & scope (the scope is actually a nice shape) I also drilled out the holes in the barrel & folding stock

really looking forward to seeing what you do with yours,

Attachments

• IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    829.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    589.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 208

Awesome, I love those Rebels E-11's but I seem to me in a minority around here on this, I know they're a little undersized but they're pretty accurate to how they look in the series,

when I did mine I pretty much did what you described, I cut out the infill around the scope rail & scope (the scope is actually a nice shape) I also drilled out the holes in the barrel & folding stock

really looking forward to seeing what you do with yours,

That turned out very nice. You always have great paint work.

I also like your scope rail.

The only problem with cutting out the scope rail is that once you cut it out there is a slight gap underneath where the 2 parts of the Blaster don't quite join because of how it's molded, I just left if because I was too lazy to fill it & it isn't really noticeable under the rail :lol

I'm expecting a Poe/Finn jacket later this week from the latest Zlurpo run. In anticipation got these from Shapeways designed by specifically for this jacket Risu run. I just painted them tonight.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back